Locked in 2 5S' at Target

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creativedogmedia, Sep 17, 2013.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Similar to a pre-order, I went to the store and they actually have an online system that generates a spot in the "line" and sets devices aside....gave me a printout and a 15% accessory coupon.....said an email will automatically be generated when the inventory shows up on Thursday and I can pick up on Friday morning (they dont open until 11am). Seems really slick if it actually comes through...I snagged two.

2. TAI182 macrumors regular

TAI182

I did this, too, but there is no guarantee Target will receive the 5s on launch day. This is definitely a good back up plan, though.

3. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

You say it only holds a spot in line? Does it not burn your upgrade then? So if yours doesn't come in and you are at another store, there is no issue?

4. carelesswhisper macrumors member

I did this at my Target too. The reason it doesn't affect your upgrade is because you don't have to pay anything until once you actually pick up the phone. All they did was take my name and contact info and said they'd call or email once the phone is in. I'm still planning on going to AT&T though, just in case this falls through.

5. TAI182 macrumors regular

TAI182

The upgrade isn't used until the phone comes in and is actually purchased. You can easily reserve at Target, find a phone somewhere else, and simply cancel your reservation at Target. Or just never show up to pick it up.

6. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Guess I'll stop by Target and see if they have gotten many of these yet. Thanks!

7. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

My advice...

If you don't have an email by Thursday evening...Make other plans...

They should know Thursday what the stock is and where it's going for Friday...

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I did it last year for the iPhone 5 (AT&T), I never got one. Going to Sam's Club did come through for me.

9. StevenS2k5 macrumors newbie

I am going to try this with my local Target.

Does anyone know if Target requires you keep a new phone on contract on the line it was upgraded to? This is what I remember Amazon doing and I just want to make sure because I will be upgrading one line and switching the phone immediately.

10. StevenS2k5 macrumors newbie

I just reserved a 5s at my local Target. There were already about 20 people on the list. Kinda sucks living in a busy area for those reasons. As I mentioned in another thread, they told me Apple would not guarantee them any launch day stock due to low supplies. Unfortunate, but no commitment to reserve one there so it can't hurt if I don't get lucky at the Apple store in the morning.

11. bmwtech113 macrumors member

I have one reserved at 2 different Targets. The first one said they would get 50 units, and I am number 29. The second target said they only get about 5 on launch day and they are determined by what is reserved. I am number 2 on that list.

Just goes to show that no one really knows.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I had good luck with radio shack last year.
    They took my name and number and when they had one in stock they called me to go get it.
    Nice and easy.

13. ethanlee macrumors regular

According to my Target Mobile rep, they won't. They don't know what the SKU's for the 5s will be apparently.

14. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

15. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

My Target rep said the same thing. She seems pretty sharp, said she was there last year for the iPhone 5 release. she went on to say that that they won't actually receive any phones until Friday at the earliest. I'm #2 on the reservation list.

16. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

For those you going to these stores, can you just buy the 5s outright or are there contracts involved? I'm with TMO and just want to buy the phone.
    Don't want to sign up with another carrier.

thanks

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Will Sam's Club have preorders this year for the 5S?

----------

I read that last year Target took about a month to fulfill pre-orders so definitely keep it as backup.

18. ajaxmonkey macrumors member

ajaxmonkey

I reserved my phone this past Saturday. The mobile rep told me that they are getting some shipments in tomorrow(Wednesday) and hopefully the iPhone will be on that shipment so everyone should check with target tomorrow or Thursday. I am going to call around 3 or 4 after I get from class.

19. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Can one buy an iPhone at Target or Rat Shack for full retail? I'm sure they don't want you to because there is no money in it for them, but can it be done?

20. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Me too_Only 2 of us got phones in the 1st 2 weeks or so.:rolleyes:

21. wxman2003 Suspended

I remember people doing this last year when the iphone 5 came out with Wal Mart, Radios Shack, Target, etc. Unfortunately, most were disappointed when many of the stores received no stock until a week or two later. You may be number 2 on the list, but if they don't have any phones, it will mean nothing. Have a plan B ready.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not bad.
    I rather avoid the lines or order online.
    Last year the wait from Apple was like a month so having your name in and getting a call its pretty easy and stress free.
    You can always cancel if you got one earlier or if you don't want it any more.

23. ajaxmonkey macrumors member

ajaxmonkey

Yeah I am number 1 for the silver but if they don't have stock all I can do is try some other place. I would rather do that than stand in line. At least I may have a chance.

24. WestCoastPro macrumors newbie

25. Legionnaire macrumors 6502

I never knew target sold iPhones I am going to wait then, I get 15% discount from my gf's employee discount lol. Might as well use it. Then call att and drop the activation charge, :D