Locking 4S while on a call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Muscle Master, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

So.. My girlfriend is irritated that she can't lock her phone while on a call.. Every time she does it the phone hangs up

That's not the case with my iPhone 5 so is there a setting I'm over looking?

2. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Pushing the power button should lock the phone without hanging up the call if you're already in a call. If pushed when a call is incoming and before being answered, you are essentially hanging up on them.

3. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

No such thing is a dumb question

And I was just saying the same thing. but we switched phones real fast and I had her call her phone and she was able to lock mine while on a call but on her 4S every time I press the power button.. it hangs up:confused:

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Is it jailbroken?

Do a DFU restore, see if the problem goes away.

5. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I tell her to do it later

6. JAT macrumors 603

Actually, that simply acts as Mute for the ringer.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

Not sure my why experience is different from everyone else here. If speakerphone is off, and you are not using Bluetooth, then locking the phone ends the call. If speakerphone is on or a Bluetooth device is being used then the call keeps going when you press the lock button

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's how I recall it to work as well. (Although, perhaps the screen being on vs. off--as it is when the phone is next to your head, for example--might play a role as well?)

9. Baggio macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, what's the purpose of locking it when on a call? :confused:

10. Ann P macrumors 68020

Dumb question? No. This is quite convenient actually. It's useful so you don't accidentally hang up, mute, or tap the touch screen while in a call. Probably more so for frequent bluetooth or headphones user.

11. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

You are correct there is no such thing as a dumb question.

12. Baggio macrumors 6502

I use BT in my car and I have clicked the power button in the past and the screen goes black. Not sure if it is locked, but it doesn't hang up.

13. laxu macrumors newbie

god

Cant believe what useless replies you got for a valid query.
    The proximity sensor is having issues on ios 6.1 as far as many have noticed.
    Works itself at times and doesnt at times. its frustating when its important.
    we need to wait for a fix i guess.
    Any Apple genius watching?:(

14. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

This is the first I've heard of it.

Unless you're using a Bluetooth headset you don't need to lock the screen during a call because the proximity sensor disables the screen when it is near your head.

15. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Thank for the tip.. Suspected it was iOS. 6.1 was a piece of junk update. I swear 6.0 was perfect !

16. makotoisle macrumors 6502

This is how my iPhone 5 works.

17. Apple blogger, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

You can't lock the phone while on a call until its in speaker mode.. When u pick up a call put on speaker and push the power/sleep button .. The phone will be locked.. This is possible with all current iPhones and not a problem of iOS... If u push the power button while on a call without speaker , it'll hang up I don't know what happens when it's connected with other devices via bluetooth

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Vast majority see it pretty much the other way around actually. (Not to mention that it doesn't seems like the vast majority has been experiencing proximity sensor issues in iOS 6.1, or even in iOS 6.0.)