Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
So.. My girlfriend is irritated that she can't lock her phone while on a call.. Every time she does it the phone hangs up

That's not the case with my iPhone 5 so is there a setting I'm over looking?

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Pushing the power button should lock the phone without hanging up the call if you're already in a call. If pushed when a call is incoming and before being answered, you are essentially hanging up on them.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
No such thing is a dumb question

And I was just saying the same thing. but we switched phones real fast and I had her call her phone and she was able to lock mine while on a call but on her 4S every time I press the power button.. it hangs up:confused:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Not sure my why experience is different from everyone else here. If speakerphone is off, and you are not using Bluetooth, then locking the phone ends the call. If speakerphone is on or a Bluetooth device is being used then the call keeps going when you press the lock button

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not sure my why experience is different from everyone else here. If speakerphone is off, and you are not using Bluetooth, then locking the phone ends the call. If speakerphone is on or a Bluetooth device is being used then the call keeps going when you press the lock button
That's how I recall it to work as well. (Although, perhaps the screen being on vs. off--as it is when the phone is next to your head, for example--might play a role as well?)

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
No such thing is a dumb question

And I was just saying the same thing. but we switched phones real fast and I had her call her phone and she was able to lock mine while on a call but on her 4S every time I press the power button.. it hangs up:confused:
You are correct there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Dumb question? No. This is quite convenient actually. It's useful so you don't accidentally hang up, mute, or tap the touch screen while in a call. Probably more so for frequent bluetooth or headphones user.

I use BT in my car and I have clicked the power button in the past and the screen goes black. Not sure if it is locked, but it doesn't hang up.

laxu

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
god

Cant believe what useless replies you got for a valid query.
The proximity sensor is having issues on ios 6.1 as far as many have noticed.
Works itself at times and doesnt at times. its frustating when its important.
we need to wait for a fix i guess.
Any Apple genius watching?:(

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK

This is the first I've heard of it.

Unless you're using a Bluetooth headset you don't need to lock the screen during a call because the proximity sensor disables the screen when it is near your head.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia

Thank for the tip.. Suspected it was iOS. 6.1 was a piece of junk update. I swear 6.0 was perfect !

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012

This is how my iPhone 5 works.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
You can't lock the phone while on a call until its in speaker mode.. When u pick up a call put on speaker and push the power/sleep button .. The phone will be locked.. This is possible with all current iPhones and not a problem of iOS... If u push the power button while on a call without speaker , it'll hang up I don't know what happens when it's connected with other devices via bluetooth

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thank for the tip.. Suspected it was iOS. 6.1 was a piece of junk update. I swear 6.0 was perfect !
Vast majority see it pretty much the other way around actually. (Not to mention that it doesn't seems like the vast majority has been experiencing proximity sensor issues in iOS 6.1, or even in iOS 6.0.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.