Logic Pro 9 :Want to hear tracks recorded through Midi on headphones HELP!!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Jdevans, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Jdevans macrumors newbie

I recently just got logic pro 9, and i started recording. I use a yamaha keyboard midi that is connected to my imac. I can record and use the sounds and everything thing seems fine.

However

I can only hear tracks that i have recorded through my Midi out of my keyboard speakers. It is very annoying as i want to be able to use my noise canceling head phones connected to my computer. Also when I record, the sounds i here are only piano sounds, only when i play back do i hear the instrument sounds.

Can anyone help!!!!

Thanks Jonathan

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I suspect you are connected via midi? A Midi signal contains no audio information, it needs a sofware instrument to make any sound. This is why you are hearing one sound from your keyboard and one from the mac.

3. a1rflow macrumors member

How exactly are you connecting your Keyboard to your iMac? Are you using a type of USB-MIDI interface?

I would check your Logic Preferences and make sure the Output is set to the correct setting, which in your case I believe is the "Built-In Output."

Also, as stated before MIDI is NOT audio. It requires the use of some type of "patch" or, "instrument" (as you use in Logic) in order to hear any audio.