Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papabill

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I just 'inherited' an older PowerMac G5, and I cannot get past the Mac OS X login screen.

The guy who gave it to me says he had no password, but he hasn't tried to crank it for a couple of years.

I've tried 'administrator' w/password 'administrator', but nothing happens. All it does is shake at me.

Help!! Please!!

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

Nov 28, 2010
located

papabill

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Outstanding, thanks. Now since my keyboard doesn't have an EJECT key, how do I open it? How do I make it show up on the screen?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Outstanding, thanks. Now since my keyboard doesn't have an EJECT key, how do I open it?
You can try the steps outlined here, if you don't have an Apple keyboard:
How do I make it show up on the screen?
How do you make it show up on what screen? Do you mean, how to boot from a bootable DVD or CD? Hold down the "C" key or the "OPTION" key right after startup, for a second or so.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

papabill

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
How do you make it show up on what screen?
Sorry, I guess I don't know enough about Macs to ask an intelligent question.

My question would be better asked as 'How do I make the CD/DVD player's presence show on the monitor.' I hope that's clearer.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Sorry, I guess I don't know enough about Macs to ask an intelligent question.

My question would be better asked as 'How do I make the CD/DVD player's presence show on the monitor.' I hope that's clearer.

You mean booting from it to reset the password? Then I have already posted that in my last post.

papabill

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
You mean booting from it to reset the password? Then I have already posted that in my last post.

No. At the top of my monitor screen, there is a little hard drive, which I have named 'Mac', but I don't see a CD/DVD drive represented.

Also, how do I open the thing with no EJECT button on my keyboard (it's the original keyboard and mouse)

Edit: With trial and error, I'm beginning to figure out things. I actually found the EJECT button. Gonna keep tinkering and see what I can figure out.

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
No. At the top of my monitor screen, there is a little hard drive, which I have named 'Mac', but I don't see a CD/DVD drive represented.
You mean when booted into Mac OS X?
Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop
2012_03_10_pC2_ShowTheseItems.png
There is also the Sidebar preferences, where you can select to show CDs and DVDs.
2012_03_10_pC3_ShowInSidebar.png

Also, how do I open the thing with no EJECT button on my keyboard (it's the original keyboard and mouse)
If the DVD shows up in the Sidebar, then there is an EJECT icon.
If it shows up on the Desktop: CMD+E or right-click > Eject or drag to the Trash icon in the Dock.

If it shows up nowhere, check Disk Utility.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

If it is the original white keyboard, that came with the PowerMac G5 (image clickable for bigger version):
2012_03_10_pC4_AppleKeyboardEjectKey.jpg

PS: Here is the PowerMac User Guide.

Last edited:

papabill

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Thank you so much. I feel like a TOTAL dummy asking all these basic questions, but being a PC DOS baby, all I've had is PCs. I'm trying to "break into" Macs (now I have a G4, and old iMac, and now a G5.) But I know SO LITTLE.

I appreciate your help and your patience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.