Logitch Z-5500, good buy or not, and is this to cheap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JosephDuffy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hi, all!
    I'm looking at getting a 5.1 for my bedroom :D , and have stumbled across the Z-5500 ( http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=gb,en ), they are RRP from Logitech at £350, but I've found them for £100.51, I'm not telling you where, you might get the last set!
    But 2 questions...
    Do you think £100.51 is to cheap, and it could be fake, it's only around £20/£30 cheaper than next higher price.
    And are these any good? It's going in a fairly square and small room, for personal use for gaming really, and of course, I'll be hucking up my MacBook Pro to it and my new TV when/if I get it! ;)
    Thanks
    Joseph Duffy

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I have them at 50% volume right now and just loving it. Have had these babies for over a year and a half now. The price is right, retail here is $499 but i got them new from newegg for $249.

They'll work, I used it on my MacBook and its on my Mini now, you just hook the green cable in and set it to Dobly PL2 Music, and it'll play from all 5.1.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Thats a great deal at that price. (Even with the extra 20 pence) (is that how you say that?)

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

$200-ish? No that's not all that crazy. In the US I've seen the Z-5500s for less than $200 before but you have to really dig for that kind of deal.

They're great speakers, and ever since Klipsch left the PC speaker market probably the only decent 5.1s you can get for that kind of money. Myself, I have some Klipsch GMX 5.1s I bought for a lot less than that, but.. I am considering getting a new set of speakers (these are goofy looking!) and would definitely consider the Z-5500s!

The only catch is they don't have a remote (that I'm aware of).

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They have a rather unattractive one. But a nice looking wired controller.

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

It has a control pad and a remote control.

8. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

As others have said they're a great set of speakers. I've been using them for the past 4 years and even have them acting as a home theater setup for the time being. I'd recommend them to anyone who was considering them.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've had the z-5500's for about three years now and they've been working great. From small bedroom speakers to the dorm to daily usage on the tv w/ the PS3+wii. The remote is ugly but Harmony remotes are so cheap nowadays on the lower end units there's no reason to have a thousand crappy universal remotes and single device remotes laying around. The Harmony 720 is great. I think I only paid around 50 for it refurbed.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have a set of these on my iMac and they're awesome. I paid around $229 plus tax for mine, so I think the price you found is a good one, but believable.

Get a toslink to mini toslink optical cable and you'll be set for digital 5.1.

11. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

They work great with the MBP. You can use the included analog cables, but to get true 5.1 digital surround sound, you'll want to get a Toslink to Mini Toslink cable. They have 'em on Monoprice for about $7.

12. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all!
    I think I'll be ordering these tomorrow :)
    Now all I need is my TV, and I'm rearing to go!