Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech today announced that its Crayon stylus, which was previously only available to schools, is coming to Apple retail stores, which means it will be available for everyone to purchase for the first time.

Introduced in March alongside the 6th-generation 9.7-inch iPad, the Crayon is designed to operate as a lower-cost alternative to the Apple Pencil.

The Crayon features a slim aluminum body and an Apple Pencil-style tip. Functionally, it works just like the Apple Pencil, with support for palm rejection and the same latency and tilt as you get with the Apple Pencil. There is, however, no pressure sensitivity.

Logitech designed the Crayon with students in mind, so it has a flat surface to prevent rolling, a tethered rubber end cap, a comfortable grip for small hands, and the ability to withstand drops of up to four feet.

logitechcrayondesign.jpg

The Crayon does not need Bluetooth to connect to the iPad, and it's able to last for up to seven hours before needing to be recharged with the built-in Lightning port.

It's worth noting that the Crayon is designed to be compatible only with the sixth-generation iPad.

logitechcrayoninhand.jpg

We were able to get our hands on one of Logitech's Crayons ahead of its Apple Store availability, so if you're considering picking one of these up for your 9.7-inch iPad, make sure to check out our review video above.

The Crayon will be available in Apple retail stores, on the Apple website, and on the Logitech website starting on September 12 before expanding to additional retail outlets in October.

While schools can purchase the device for $50, customers who purchase the Crayon from Apple or Logitech will need to pay $70.

Article Link: Logitech's Crayon Stylus Expands to All Users Through Apple Store Availability

mattbisme

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
I was excited when reading this, but then I realized the non-edu pricing was higher. For the price, I think I’d rather get the Apple Pencil with pressure sensitivity.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Ummm, isn’t it orange?

And it only works with the 6th gen, not the Pro, so maybe it doesn’t use Bluetooth. I watched the 9to5 video and he also said no pairing. This bodes for an interesting thing for phone support... but I’m going to be ticked it I can’t use the same pencil on my 12.9 2nd gen and my phone.

Btw, 9to5 calls it orange... that’s the only reason I watched. Lol

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
OK it doesn't require bluetooth but neither does my finger. But my finger doesn't need charging. Simple question, how does this device work and specifically, why will it not work with iPad Pro?

Edit. I was mislead early on in the thread, it does need bluetooth. The problem with these lazy press release articles is they don't inform.

Last edited:

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Does it work with the iPad Pro, then?
According to the 9to5 YouTube I watched, no it doesn’t.

Which makes me wonder how it’s connecting since they say no pairing.
[doublepost=1536241928][/doublepost]
It doesn’t need to pair. Turn it on and it works.

Which means something else... something that would work well on s phone? What does the 6th gen have my iPad Pro 12.9v2 doesnt?
[doublepost=1536242280][/doublepost]This doesn’t say what it’s using. But in hindsight, I’m thinking Apple used this for testing.... hopefully for phone application. Ha. Because I keep trying to use my pencil on my phone!

https://www.imore.com/logitech-crayon

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hah! I was just looking into trying to buy this yesterday! My daughter will start school next year and I was thinking about getting her an iPad to get ready since I think her school uses them.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Has anyone actually tried one through the education path? I'm curious how it compares to the Apple Pencil experience on the iPad and whether the loss of pressure sensitivity is really an issue for most folks.

According to the Logitech web site, it does NOT use bluetooth to connect but uses some sort of wireless connection proprietary to the pen and to the latest iPad. The iPad has a W2 chip, right? Maybe there's a protocol that Apple shared with Logitech for this, and maybe this same protocol is what future Apple Pencils will use with future iPad Pros as well, bypassing bluetooth as we know it.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Why? Mark up and note taking don't need pressure sensitivity.

Functionally (for notes and markup) no, but it does make it feel much more natural - and for only $30 more, you get “the real deal”, so I don’t see who this is for at $70. Especially if you want to do anything other than writing notes and markup, even only casual drawing and doodling. With a school discount, at $50, I can see it having its place. But at this price, I would recommend the full Apple Pencil to everyone, even if you just plan on using it for handwriting or markup. For anything creative, though, Pencil is a must-have.
[doublepost=1536251265][/doublepost]
Hah! I was just looking into trying to buy this yesterday! My daughter will start school next year and I was thinking about getting her an iPad to get ready since I think her school uses them.

This is a good example for what I wrote above. If you’re getting it for your daughter, I would seriously consider adding $30 more (unless you can get it at $50 school price) for the full Apple Pencil. Even if she’s not planning to use it artistically, you never know if it will inspire her to do anything creative where the pressure sensitivity is paramount.

Please take this as just a well-meaning advice, of course you know what is best for your daughter.
[doublepost=1536251522][/doublepost]
I'd buy it over Apple Pencil purely for the non-rolly shape, and that it charges like a normal damn device.

It’s a worse solution, even though it looks more “normal”. But in reality, it WILL loose charge while you’re outside, in the middle of the day, and you won’t be able to charge it - while you can just quickly plug the Pencil into the iPad for a few minutes.

People have to realize that charging the Pencil by sticking it into an iPad is just an emergency solution. You have a nice little Lightning adapter for charging it when you’re home. At least with the Pencil, you have the option to charge it just with your iPad. Stick it in for literally 30 seconds and get 30 minutes of usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regbial

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Functionally (for notes and markup) no, but it does make it feel much more natural - and for only $30 more, you get “the real deal”, so I don’t see who this is for at $70. Especially if you want to do anything other than writing notes and markup, even only casual drawing and doodling. With a school discount, at $50, I can see it having its place. But at this price, I would recommend the full Apple Pencil to everyone, even if you just plan on using it for handwriting or markup. For anything creative, though, Pencil is a must-have.
Still disagree completely. Just like you don't see who this is for at $70, I'm not sure how you consider the pencil a must have for creatives. Artists have been using the iPad as a creative tool far longer than the existence of the pencil. Eh, no matter. To each his own. Opinions differ all the time.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
According to the 9to5 YouTube I watched, no it doesn’t.

Which makes me wonder how it’s connecting since they say no pairing.
[doublepost=1536241928][/doublepost]
It doesn’t need to pair. Turn it on and it works.

Which means something else... something that would work well on s phone? What does the 6th gen have my iPad Pro 12.9v2 doesnt?
[doublepost=1536242280][/doublepost]This doesn’t say what it’s using. But in hindsight, I’m thinking Apple used this for testing.... hopefully for phone application. Ha. Because I keep trying to use my pencil on my phone!

https://www.imore.com/logitech-crayon
I think that's what Jason Snell was discussing with John Gruber on the Talk Show. The Crayon connects via a different radio standard - probably Bluetooth based but requiring hardware that only the iPad Pro has, and without any pairing needed. Something for next week's big phone maybe? And, hopefully, for next week's iPad pro, too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.