Lois Lerner in contempt of Congress.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Apr 10, 2014.

1. tshrimp, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-committee-holds-lois-lerner-in-contempt-of-congress/

It's about time. Took long enough.

I know the below is not shock to anyone...

"The 21 to 12 vote broke down along party lines, with Republicans voting yes and Democrats voting no."

Also why is someone who states they have done nothing wrong need the below?

"...her attorney says she shouldn't have to appear because she has received death threats. If she does show up, he adds, she still won't answer questions unless she has immunity from prosecution or an order from a federal judge."

From... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-IRS-leader-Lois-Lerner-plead-Fifth-time.html

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seems fair enough of the Republicans to be honest.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Because everything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. Not just some of what you say, everything you say.

It's not necessary to be guilty, or even believe that oneself is guilty, in order to invoke the 5th Amendment. Self-incrimination can come from the slightest misspoken word.

If I recall correctly, Oliver North declined to say anything at all to Congress unless he was granted immunity.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"The American taxpayers certainly don't get to plead the Fifth and escape all accountability when the IRS audits them," Issa said as he gathered the committee Thursday morning to vote on contempt.

What kind of a joke is this asshat? He's made it very clear in his chairmanship that he is only looking to score headlines and focus on super granular details to obscure the truth that is plainly visible when you look at the whole picture.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

They have their nerve calling contempt. This Congress has nothing but contempt for the American people.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

How did that work out for LTC North?

It is important that Lois Lerner not be above the law. If you are questioned by the Congress and you make statements you should expect to be questioned on them. Someday, the Democrats will not be in the Oval Office. If this Administration sets a precedent of being able to avoid any questions it doesn't like simply by invoking the fifth, we will see more and more in the future.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Completely agreed.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I heard something about her invoking the 5th and they are trying to say that does not count? The matter has been investigated and no partisanship found, but the accusation is that the GOP wants to keep this alive for November. No surprises there.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

She made an opening statement putting her side out, then invoked the 5th amendment. The 5th doesn't work like that. If you make a statement, then you expect to be cross examined on what you have said. You can't proclaim your innocence and then refuse to answer the questions.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not well versed enough on the topic to know, but the 5th amendment is all or nothing? :confused:

No statements can be made if you want to invoke the 5th on a specific question?

11. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yes, that's right. Once you start talking, you've waived your 5th Amendment privilege. That's how the courts do it, so I would expect a congressional inquiry to operate similarly.

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Pleading the 5th should make everyone start asking even more questions.

But no, the hacks might call this misogynist attacks, or partisan or something even more insipid.

If the only time you want government to be held accountable is when the opposing party is in power, expect to get reamed in a less than loving fashion by both sides in their own special way.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You mean that you can't take the stand, tell everyone all about how innocent you are, then refuse to answer questions?

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    IANAL, but...I think it all depends on the situation. If you're being compelled to answer before a jury, you can answer questions that don't directly incriminate you, but exercise your right to the 5th on those that do.

If you're being detained on suspicions of a crime, I think answering any questions could be considered exposing yourself to an accusation, and is considered waived if you say anything at all.

15. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Read the next 4 or 5 pages of this comic:

http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=2545

----------

That's not correct:

http://www.popehat.com/2014/03/05/a-few-notes-on-lois-lerner-and-the-fifth-amendment/

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/05/lerner-gowdy-waive-right-5th-amendment-irs.html