LOL..iPod not named the most important gadget of the decade.

johnnyhow

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
I don't see what is so funny. IPod got 2nd and iPhone got 4th. Besides, since when did this websites opinion = fact? I certainly don't agree with all the items on that list. For starters, I think the DS far more revolutionary than the psp was.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
Wow, that was really an odd list. I'm surprised by the inclusion of the PSP, and certainly find it funny that the Droid made the list. Cool gadgets, certainly, but I don't think either of them are game changers.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Well the iPhone did change the smart phone industry i think it should have gotten first or the iPod since it was and still is the most popular portable music player ever. I cant imagine life without one haha

johnnyhow

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
What is funny is that the number 1 gadget on that list is something I've never heard of.

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
obviously the people at examiner.com aren't too smart. The iPhone was clearly the most important, changing the whole world and bringing the Digital Age even further. The iPod was second, and i would put the Apple TV in that list as well. It wouldn't strike me as odd if the most "important" gadgets of the next decade are all or mostly Apple products.

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Why is the Motorola Droid on that list? It was out for less than 2 months. How in the hell can you possibly know if it was one of the most important gadgets of the decade in less than two months time?

The iPhone had a far bigger impact on the mobile phone market than the Droid has so far. In fact some would argue that without the iPhone the Droid and the Android OS would not have come into existence in quite the same way as they have done.

What a ridiculous list.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
It's just an opinion, no one is right or wrong. I personally feel the iPhone is by far the most important gadget of the decade, yet I would put the iPod far lower down. The iPhone is the phone that revolutionised everything about what a phone is and does. The iPod was a revolutionary product as well, but so not to the scale of the iPhone.

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
The iPod was a revolutionary product as well, but so not to the scale of the iPhone.
Of course it was. Market share speaks for itself.

The iPod quite literally obliterated all its competitors. The iPhone has only really made an impact on the smartphone market which is quite a small proportion of the total mobile phone market.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Yeah, Droid being on the list is idiotic. It completely ignores the other Android phones released before it, as well as the fact that its influence is about to be nipped at the bud with the onslaught of Android phones about to hit the market next year.

seems a bit back heavy in the sense of favoring the later years
Really? The top three were released in the first half of the decade, with #3 in 2002, #2 in 2001 and #1 in 2000.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
#8 - Sony PSP

There had been other portable gaming systems released before the Sony PSP was in 2005. However, the PSP took portable gaming to a new level. The high resolution (for its time) display, robust multimedia capabilities, and the ability to connect the PSP to the Internet and PlayStation 3 made the PSP the must-have gaming device of the decade.
#5 - Motorola Droid

Who would have ever thought - at least a couple years back - that Motorola would come out with a the official iPhone killer? The Motorola Droid is a powerful phone, Internet device and media machine packed in a pocketable package. Unfortunately, the only thing lacking is a good thumboard.

The release of the Motorola Droid isn't as significant as the release of the iPhone, but it has set the standard for even Apple to try and live up to. When Verizon's commercials claim, "Droid Does," they certainly know what they are talking about.
I want some of whatever these people are on. The only good decision they made was ranking the iPod ahead of the iPhone.