Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Lombard/Pismo install problem

martinlangley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Hi all, this may sound a bit strange but I'm sure you guys will come up to the mark.

I have a powerpc based laptop which has performed faultlessly for me for the past decade and has survived the transition from Mac OS9 TO OS X together with replacement hard disks etc.

The present problem has me stumped, however. I have a new hard drive in the bay ready for a fresh OS X install of Leopard or Tiger or any OS X which supports PPC. I have tried every which way to get it to boot, from holding down the option key and trying to use a CD to booting via open firmware and installing from a USB. The furthest I have got (by any method) results in a brief "XCOFF" message being displayed followed by a couple of memory address locations and then the system hangs.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? What surprises me is that the machine is quite happy to POST, - I get the chime and it switches into Open Firmware on opt + cmd + O + F so the problem would seem unlikely to be anything fundamental, but I simply do not know what to try next.

I'm sure one of you guys will know a fix.

The attached images show what happens, the first is the command string to boot from the usb, -

boot ud:3,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX

The second is the resulting XCOFF message

Best regards

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    629.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2020
A quick search says that a Lombard doesn't actually support Tiger, at least not without some help. And apparently that's not the case with a Pismo. Any chance you could be more specific with the hardware you're trying to run Tiger on?

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
Does it boot without the new HDD? If so, it could be either an incompatible drive or a jumper setting issue - if the HDD has any jumper pins to force master mode, try that.

Otherwise, I would try reseating or swapping out the RAM modules.

Amethyst1

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2015
A quick search says that a Lombard doesn't actually support Tiger, at least not without some help.
A Lombard will still happily boot into Tiger's installer - which will then say it's unsupported because the model identifier is part of the badMachines list. But patching that list is all it takes to make Tiger embrace a Lombard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.