London 2012 Olympics: The PRSI subthread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by neiltc13, Jul 12, 2012.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

London 2012 Olympics: The PRSI subthread

Complete waste of taxpayers' money in my opinion. If the Olympic Games are to be held, they should be funded entirely by sponsors. It's also hugely wasteful that every time these games are held lots of new stadiums and arenas are built and then rarely, if ever, used again.

It is also yet another example of successive Governments providing huge amounts of funding to London and the South East, despite it being completely overpopulated and to the detriment of the rest of the UK.

Oh, and don't get me started on the "games lanes". I pay my road tax so I can use the roads, not so a select few people can skip the traffic.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Now I don't feel so bad about my deferred post. So.....

*yawn*

That's it. ;)

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Personally, I'd rather see much less of the 'official partners' of sporting events like the Olympics. Call me old fashioned but they're not what sport should be about.

4. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Well, if that's the case then so be it. But the current situation where we have taxpayers funding the construction of all of these arenas for the benefit of the sponsors and their own staff is just unacceptable. The fact that so many tickets are being given to sponsors, rather than being available to the people who funded the games is an outrage.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That I don't disagree with.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A large part of the money that comes in from sponsors pays for the attendance of smaller and/or poorer nations. Without it, the games would be much restricted only to those nations who can afford to send their teams.

7. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

For those who aren't aware, the UK Government has spent around £9 billion on the 2012 Olympic Games. That's around US$13 billion.

Put another way, it will cost UK taxpayers £529,411,764 PER DAY!

The original estimate when the bid was made (also ridiculous in my opinion) was around £2 billion.

How anyone can justify these sums on what is a sponsor-supported entertainment event is beyond me.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I fully understand, but I believe that Blue really wanted this to be kept out of PRSI, so that all might participate.

I could gladly join in, but I will defer.

But just this once, mind!!!!

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think the Olympics are fantastic, just not in my country.:D

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Thread looks like it's goin' PRSI anyway so I'm gonna chip in.

The whole Olympics is locked down my McDonalds, Coca Cola and some British megaCorps. Small businesses can't even mention the words Olympics or London 2012 without getting a cease and desist letter. What sort of Olympic spirit is that? I know this personally because our business wanted to run an Olympic offer - just a discount during the games. No chance, you'll get yourself sued.

It should be a celebration for the whole country that hosts it. There's an article on the Beeb at the moment that listed a butcher that made 5 rings from sausages and got a council letter telling him to stop it. What nonsense is that. Plenty more ridiculous examples too, not just a one-off thing.

It's about advertisers getting their names all over athletes and into your needy little head. Rarely do the host countries actually profit, that myth has been debunked recently.

I like the idea of the Olympics, but it's bloated and I mostly see the farce of it now. It doesn't have to be the way it is. Boris loves it, it's going to be a real buddyfest for him and his posh mates. They can run around in Nazi outfits at after-parties or whatever it is posh Brits do for fun.

12. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Everything is taken over by greed eventually.

The real question is, do you really want to drink Coca Cola after seeing it on someones clothes, or on a sign, etc? I sure don't. If I was going to buy Pepsi I am 100% certain I would not buy Coca Cola from seeing it on the Olympics. Same goes for every brand, its just not worth it in my eyes (for a well established brand that is. Small businesses should be able to advertise and run Olympic-related promos)

13. balamw, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The Community Discussion thread London 2012 Olympics was split to keep any PRSI related discussion out of Community discussion. Go ahead and talk about the governmental and societal issues around this or past Olympics here only.

Thanks!

B

14. charlieegan3, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012

charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

That's really good point, never thought of it like that.

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Bringing the world together every couple of years is priceless. Let's us see each other as fellow humans. Puts us all on as level a playing field as possible. Educates the population of who's who (nation wise) and gives a little history. Encourages healthy competition. It's inspiring. Human spirit. Doves and ****. Etc.

I had a chance to attend, but I've deferred until September. I want to see London as its own city, not an Olympic Village, on my first visit. I was in Atlanta in 1996, so I've had a taste of the Games and its a wonderful experience. Milling about with travelers from all corners of the globe is wild. People are approachable, you're sharing a unique experience and a common platform. Conversations flow amongst strangers because you suddenly have so much in common. I hope some of you get to be close to The Games. You don't even need tickets to an event, just walk around. It's awesome.

I love the games, the pageantry and the atheletes. The dedication, courage and strength these competitors display are über uplifting. My favorite thing of all though is the stories. Overcoming things, rising up to challenges, whatever. Tell me a good story and I'm hooked. Can't wait!

16. iGav macrumors G3

Yep, that's about it... and the 100 metres final of course. ;)

Still thoroughly disappointed that they changed the mountain bike venue from Swinley Forest. :(

Firstly the Olympic Games themselves are privately funded. The infrastructure etc is provided by the host nation, and even then it's not entirely subsidised by the taxpayer. For example, both private sponsorship, investment and National Lottery funding all contribute to the costs.

Secondly, it should be remembered that the arena's that have been constructed, include a number of temporary structures, that will be dismantled after the games, those that remain will be reduced in capacity to a size more suitable for community use.

It's also worth mentioning, that after the games, the Olympic Village will became affordable, high-quality housing, something that area has lacked for decades.

And it should also be remembered that it has provided significant employment opportunities for over half a decade and will continue to do so over the next decade too.

Thirdly, it's regenerated one of the most deprived and poorest regions in the UK, and has allowed massive regeneration of polluted brownfield sites, not only in facilities, but also in the creation of greenfield sites.

Fourthly, it's not just London that is benefitting. Cardiff, Coventry, Manchester, Newcastle & Weymouth are all going to benefit. Weynouth itself has seen a significant investment in its road infrastructure to improve access (as anyone who has tried to visit in summer will appreciate), and something that will be of major economical benefit to the town in the future.

And lastly… It's 2 weeks for heaven sake, and what lazy duck drives in London anyway, when there's that shiny new cable car to make use of. ;)

Anyway, calm down… you're going to pop something. ;)

While it lacks the pure, beautiful, simplicity of say Munich '72 or even Sarajevo '84... I've always rather liked the concept myself, something that I think has been missed, mainly by Graphic Designers it has to be said. :p

P.S. Lovely to see you again on the board Blue. It's been a while. :)

G.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Please keep the other thread PRSI free! Thanks!

B

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A good notation, but as a Global social issue, I don't see how anyone might be "harmed" by any discussion of the whys and wherefores.

IMO.

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

We recognize that! However, this is the appropriate sub-forum for that geo-political and economic, not Community Discussion.

B

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I like the Olympics. I think they show that despite our differences, we are all the same in many basic ways. And I much rather see the world come together in a venue like the Olympics and fight for medals, then have the world come together on a battlefield somewhere fighting and killing each other.

And yeah, you might complain about the stadiums and venues that sit there mostly unused in some places, but that is not all places. And even in the places where that may be the case, there have still been a lot of other infrastructure projects like roads and subways which still get used long after an Olympics has past. So I definitely think the Olympics serve a good purpose.

21. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Alright, now that it's in PRSI, what do the natives think of the missiles mounted on buildings? I heard its creating a lot of controversey over there and I understand it, but better safe than sorry, IMO.

I mentioned I was in Atlanta on 1996. A few days after I left, a bomb exploded in the Park, right where I had spent a good deal of time. I was devastated. I personally wasn't hurt and I didn't know any of the injured, but I felt so sickened, so vulnerable, and so angry. That Park was full of families and people living out their dreams and having the times of their lives. I get nervous now watching some of these events and pray, literally pray, that every security step is taken. Missiles on building? May be a bit much, but they're better there than not.

Not trying to be a downer either. The Games are still a good ways off and I need something to keep my interest up. :)

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Anybody know how much NBC paid for the US broadcast rights ?

I agree with one poster. There's no real major reason new stadiums need to be built every time there's a new Olympics .

Most major world cities have plenty of sporting venues that would cover it.

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think the provision of gleaming new facilities is a selling point during the bidding process – the notion of 'legacy' is a big thing when you're going for an event like the Olympics, and to say that you're going to invest heavily in brand new stuff that can be used after the Games end will tick quite a few boxes with the IOC.

Of course, this then leads to the problem of what to do with a venue such as the Olympic Stadium after the rest of the world has packed up and gone home. We don't really host enough athletics to justify the huge spend to maintain it empty for most of the year, and the suggestion that the Stadium be converted to another use has met with a great deal of opposition – West Ham (a London football club) has long proposed moving in post Games and converting it into a football ground, a proposal that hasn't gone down particularly well.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The thing is that spending more on security doesn't necessarily lead to good results.

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The 2000 Olympics in Sydney were amazing. It was truly wonderful - yes there were issues but there are always issues.

Mind you, that was pretty much the last major international event before September 11th. That screwed everything up for everyone.