London Mayor's £250,000 'chicken feed'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jul 14, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

What. A. Cock.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The man's a clown, he has the political instincts of a jellyfish.

This goes right alongside telling a room full of homeless folks that "my house costs a fortune".

I'm embarrassed to have him running my city.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Ba, dum, dum... chin

Seriously, it made me laugh. "Chicken feed". "Cock".

Oh and the whole thing about him telling others to quit their second jobs, while he just has a "hobby" that people pay him for.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Boris the buffoon encapsulates the dilemma that the UK will face when the next election rolls round…

He got elected because frankly Livingstone was unelectable and there was no real alternative. Brian Paddick? Right party, wrong candidate.

Comes next general election, do we stick with the "devil we know", aka Not so New anymore Labour or get sucked in by the Tories and their smooth talking "Believe us, we've changed!"?

Imagine a whole cabinet of puffed up Boris types for whom £250,000 really is chicken feed.

What an arse.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I worry the same thing. :eek: :(

6. djellison macrumors 68020

So what we'll end up with is chronic turn out for the big three, and the very real risk of extreme fringe parties like the BNP etc getting representation in the Commons.

It's terrifying.

I honestly think there is scope right now for someone to come forward, start a new political party from scratch, with some common sense, some honesty, some straight talking, and to take the fight to the stale outdated parties we have now an action some proper reform in Westminster.

7. Queso macrumors G4

If you're Welsh or Scottish you at least have an option. Vote Nationalist and get out of the UK. The English are stuck with this bunch of idiots.

I'm going to go Lib Dem next time, for one reason. They advocate serious political reform. At the moment that's the only way we're going to change the smug bunch of arseholes we're seeing day after day. I hope that enough of us do the same to break this two-party stagnation.

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's a risky strategy to be sure. I did it last time and got George Galloway in return. I hope you are more lucky than me!

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Why would the telegraph pay him such an exorbitant rate anyways? It seems like an excessive sum for a weekly column -- I would be surprised if many of the best columnists in the world get paid that much.

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A very good question, to which I'd also love to know the answer.

A few words from this halfwit each week cannot possibly be worth any where near that amount of money.

Does anyone know what he was getting paid by them before he became Mayor? (If he even worked for them at all).

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

He appears to have first joined the Telegraph in 1989. It is unclear if he has written for them since then or if there have been breaks. source

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I wonder how much the BBC man doing the interview gets paid? I bet its more that £250k/year.

14. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

15. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Considering how Mayor Bloomberg of NYC gets paid $1.00 a year, I'd say London's mayor is a tad bit greedy...

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I agree, but on the same note you shouldn't act like a dipshit and call 250k "chicken feed" in the middle of an economic downturn. The people voting for you make that "chicken feed" after a cumulative 6+ years work.

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mayor Bloomberg writes a weekly column in a national newspaper :confused:

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's an odd comment also considering it's ... almost twice his salary as Mayor....

19. remmy macrumors 6502a

If the Telegraph want to give him money thats up to them, but he is should think carefully before he speaks and shut up. Normally one of his advisers are on hand with a gag so he must of escaped them temporarily.

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Oh please. So any mayor making any money at all is greedy? I think everyone who has some common sense realizes Bloomberg doesn't take any money because he's a billionaire, and if he did he'd be strongly criticized.

21. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

My worry as well. The bigger fear in my opinion is that because of the ineptitude of the 3 main parties combined with economic problems, war, and terrorism still being high on the agenda, parties like the BNP will get a voice. It's already happening.

22. remmy macrumors 6502a

We are doomed :(

23. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

If a column took me 30 minutes to an hour to do, in the grand scheme of my working time I'd consider it 'chicken feed'. There is also an element of wind up, he knows people like Biggs and Shawcross are suckers for this. As for sensitivity, people moaning about their pay when others are starving? If someone is worrying about Boris' comment, how many problems do they really have?

Election - Boris won because Outer-London was fed up with Inner-London.

24. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

I never said that any mayor making any money at all is greedy. Yes, Bloomberg is a billionaire, but yes, he's also doing a damn good job as a mayor. Many people feel that he is entitled to a salary for the job that he does, but he chooses not to take one.

To argue that he's rich and therefore doesn't deserve any money from a salary is your own opinion, don't project it onto the general populus.

My point is, as for the Mayor of London, the average salary in London is about £30,000, or about $49,000 USD. The salary that the mayor of London makes is £250,000 or about $409,000 USD.

The mayor makes about 835% of the average London citizen's salary. To call THAT chicken feed, is greedy.

Not to mention, that's his SECOND salary. His first salary is £140,000, or about $230,000 USD, or 470% of the average London citizen's salary.

So overall, he makes £390,000 per year, or $639,000 per year, which is 1304% of the average London citizen's salary.

I have NO IDEA how 1304% of the average salary, or $639,000 per year, is "chicken feed". To me, that's just plain greedy.

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

No no no, I'm arguing the exact opposite of that. I could have sworn your previous response meant what it said: