London Murder Rate Overtakes New York for First Time Ever after Spate of Fatal Stabbings & Shootings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IWantItThatWay, Apr 2, 2018.

1. IWantItThatWay Suspended

And the bad news for Londoners: this is only the beginning. I bet within a decade London will hit what 1980s NYC was.

The UK is entering the period the USA was in the late 60s and 70s. Question is can they rebound? I doubt it.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...er-spate-of-fatal-stabbings-and-a3803566.html

NYC's crime rate in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s was out of this world. But it was through policies such as stop and frisk, broken window policies, increased police presence, and mass incarceration that helped NYC bring its crime down. A few years ago the mayor of NYC (De Blasio) flirted with taking away police presence, but the crime rose again so he stopped that.

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Has anyone been arrested for any of the stabbings? Pretty crazy stuff.

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Wow. Scary.

I don’t know if it’s still a thing over there but there were those acid attacks going on after they increased the punishments for knife related crimes.

4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I see what you did there. To reduce knife crime they should legalize gun ownership in England.

5. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

No, just ban knives. It's obviously the problem.

6. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

How would you make toast then?

7. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

They'll think of something. It's for the greater good of the community, right?o_O Or background check to buy kitchen knives, with a 10 day waiting period. Restaurants and food services can be exempt.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Can you demonstrate how that would work?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2018 ---
    We're all komrades here so I think you know the answer.
    Especially plastic ones at work.

9. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

Oh crap this is a great point.

The UK doesn't even punish most of its criminals. A lot of the get off scott free. So the crime rate is probably even higher than what we think.

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Well, something has to be banned, dammit :mad:

Edit: Think I know what should be banned:

"Britain's most senior police officer recently said social media was partially to blame for the soaring rate of knife crime in the UK."

"Met Commissioner Cressida Dick said websites and mobile phone applications such as YouTube, Snapchat and Instagram were partially to blame for the bloodshed."

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Granted the increase in stabbings is bad. But what if all those people who committed stabbings had access to guns? Could the murder rate have been even worse?

12. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

YES, next time they use a van, then we ban all the Vans. Truck? Then ban all the trucks! We ban and ban until there's nothing left for a crime.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

13. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

Crime has nothing to do with that.

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

15. Zenithal macrumors 604

Must be all that queuing. Can drive a person mad.

Poor taste in humor?

16. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

And shootings? Well I think it’s time for London to do a gun ban.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2018 ---
    Yes

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

Government has defunded policing in the UK vastly...... I think there's now about half as much police on the streets as there were before the Tories took power. Unless its violent crime now, there is literally no point in reporting anything to police in the UK as they simply do not have the resources to deal with it.

However, the spate of killings in London is almost solely gang related and has little or no effect on the day to day lives of normal Londoners, its also worth noting that that the murder rate in London has fallen year on year, and last year was no different.

So lets get some perspective here:

London Population - 8.788 million
    Murders in London 2000: 171

Murders in London 2004: 182

Murders in London 2008: 148

Murders in London 2017: 130

New York Population - 8.538 million (2016)
    Murders in NYC 2000: 673

Murders in NYC 2007: 494

Murders in NYC 2010: 534

Murders in NYC 2017: 290

I'll take the London numbers any day of the week.

18. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I would suggest that the knife crime pretty much started with the gang culture (stabbings over crossing county lines). I've heard that in recent years the police managed to put away many of the gang leaders - resulting in the unanticipated consequence of chaos further down the command chain as younger kids jockey for status and went rogue. As a result the whole 'shank' culture has now crossed over to whole sections of adolescents and it has become endemic with many kids who aren't actually in proper gangs but want to be seen as a gang member (a road man?) to their peers. Just because they're black and been stabbed doesn't mean they're in a proper gang.

These kids trade insults on social media which lead to knife fights. The real gang kids tend to keep their heads down while at school, they're too busy running drugs to get involved with that side of it all. The big problem is that it's now become an accepted part of certain sections of youth culture and its glamourised. I recently was in Croydon where some kid rapper was part of the street entertainment (officially sanctioned) and of course in part of the performance he was making pistol shapes and doing the whole rat a tat tat noise thing. This whole roadman ***** has become a killer meme thats killing kids. It's a culture war that's become real and we have to start getting very, very serious about it. If I had boys I would probably move from suburban south London.

19. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I thought London had gun laws?

20. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

No, should give guns to every Londoner. That ought to solve all problems. it works in America.

21. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Catchy title. It turns out that it’s really if you count by months. Also it’s mostly because NY’s rate has drastically declined.

Good try @IWantItThatWay
    That quote is
    - From last year
    - Taken out of context
    - From RT, which is basically the Kremlin’s instrument to sap democracy in the West.

Trumpets denying Russian influence while quoting Russian’s state propaganda. Welcome to 2018.
    Putin managing to have Trump elected is like Pepsi managing to have Carrot Top elected as CEO of Coca Cola.

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

hence why the REAL problem isn't the gun or the knife, it's the people. Eventually people here will wake up to that.

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

There are roughly the same number of murders every year in London as there are in Dallas, a city 1/7 the size of London. This one month increase in homicides should be a concern, of course, but it still leaves London far safer than almost every American city.