London Registrar sues Council after refusing to perform Civil Partnerships

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Queso macrumors G4

From the This Is London website:-

Evening Standard

Now obviously I'm on the Council's side here. Even without the fact I'm gay married myself, a Registrar's duties are not to interpret the law but to ensure births, deaths and marriages/CPs are recorded correctly. IMO an exemption here is akin to a racist refusing to perform a mixed-race ceremony due to their personal beliefs, something which would quite rightly never be tolerated.

It's also interesting to see that when you type "islington registrar civil partnership" into Google the first hit takes you to the BNP's website, which is linking to this article. Lovely company this woman is keeping :rolleyes:

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Her religious beliefs should not come into this. She a Registrar FFS. If she wanted to do religious weddings she should have become a priest!

3. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Very good point. When you declare your intention to enter a Civil Partnership you are specifically told that anything to do with religion is not allowed, be it in the chosen music, the wording of the ceremony, or the vows themselves.

Therefore, if the participants and their guests are forbidden from including religion, why should the Registrar be able to?

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm totally with you on that!

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Utter nonsense. She a public servant. If she wanted to impress her religious views onto others, she should have become a vicar/priest.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This woman either needs to be fired or find a new job. How utterly ridiculous.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Exactly what I think.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

OMG! I have to come down on the side of the gays on the first gay thread of the year! :eek:

Sorry, but judges, registrars and the like are responsible for carrying out the law as it exists on the books without injecting their personal beliefs and such.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's as stupid as pharmacists allowing their religion to interfere with their ability to provide perscriptions.

If you can't follow the requirements of the job, you need to find a new line of work.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

While you should have some religious freedom no matter what your job is, this isn't about her being denied her beliefs. She is denying the rights of other's beliefs. No one is forcing her to get gay married, but she shouldn't have the right to force others not to be able to do so. Especially if the law is clearly not on her side. It's one thing if a particular church doesn't want to preside over them, they still have their rights to deny service, but a gov official does not, and if this is the way she feels, she needs to find another job.

11. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Bear in mind that in the UK a Civil Partnership isn't a marriage, it's a separate but equal construct specifically created to give gay couples the same legal rights as het couples without actually allowing them to marry. So her entire reasoning that performing a CP devalues the "sanctity" of marriage has no logical foundation.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

...or beaten with a big pink gay stick.

I read about this the other day, complete nonsense.

13. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I completely agree with you one this one.