London Secession

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An interesting article on London and how the mayor plans to ignore UK policy post brexit.

- Do you believe that any city has the right to ignore country laws it doesn't like (similar to the US sanctuary cities) ?

- The mayor hasn't mentioned independence from the UK yet but do you think that London should separate from the UK post brexit ?

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Dunno. When India got the UK out of its country, they cherrypicked what they liked of UK law and quaintly kept it while belittling and trashing the rest to feel better despite not acknowledging what was good they kept--

So if other countries can, why not the UK of itself?

Once everyone tries separation and all hell breaks loose, globalization will still occur either way. The real issues have less to do with nationalization, globalization, vacuum-fresh, or any other way of doing things...

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

yeah how dare they feel resentment towards a colonial power who treated its citizens like dogs

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Sounds like grandstanding. Perhaps a city can issue visas good within the city, but how will anyone get to the city in the first place? Aren't the borders and customs controlled by the national government? Even if you fly directly into London, you're still going through customs at the airport.

Even if you snuck in or overstayed a tourist visa or whatever, you can't really build a life there. Anyone doing this would risk being caught and losing everything. This might be acceptable to desperate immigrants, but not so much to the "best people in the world" that he wants to recruit.

6. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Thank you. Can I blame it on the spell checker :) ?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2016 ---
    It sounds like the government is trying to accommodate London but I'm sure London will not get everything they want.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Scotland and London could become Transbritainicca, leaving the rest of the UK to deal with crazy Brexiters... But, if London loses banking business because it is forced to abide by Brexit, and Scotland becomes independent and manages membership in the EU, I am sure Scotland would welcome the big banks with open arms. As would Germany. As would France....

8. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Khan is simply saying that he'll be trying to ensure that London's global service sector can continue to hire whoever they like. Which I'm assuming isn't even up for discussion: Brexiters are wholly concerned with dusky Goobacks, whereas Italian or German Directors of Derivatives aren't on their radar. Hell, some of them could be mistaken for British at a distance...

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

They could, but the EU has already stated that breakaway regions cannot stay in the EU, so they'd just be Transbritainicca by themselves, now outside of both Britain AND the EU.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I personally think the Indians do go a bit far. I mean they slam us for the Jallianwala Bath massacre, but keep rather quiet about the Golden temple massacre which was far worse.

They also haven't done anything like as well post independence as they should. India is only slightly richer than Pakistan which is a basket case, and India has done far worse than China.

11. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

i think they go a little too far too honestly. seem super duper touchy if anyone badmouths them. most criticisms are constructive imo

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

Er..... India has overtaken China as the worlds fastest growing economy ;)

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Tell the mayor to sit down and shut up, he isn't going to do anything of the sort.

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

But they could apply for the EU, and likely get in quite fast.. 8)

15. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I think it did pretty poorly in the 60/70/80s when it was very protectionist and regulated. It does better these days.

16. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Spain and Belgium have repeatedly indicated that they are against EU entry for breakaway areas like this, because they don't want to set a precedent for their own regions that want to leave. For example Catalonia, a region in Spain that is trying to break away from Spain and join the EU.

All it takes is one EU country to say no, and the applying country cannot get in. So it seems extremely unlikely that Scotland and London could join the EU quickly, unless something could turn both Spain and Belgium around.

They've been saying this for years, even before the Brexit vote:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...o-an-independent-Scotlands-EU-membership.html

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

That isn't what you posted though, is it?

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I can assure you that Punjabis are not silent about 1984.

19. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Ignore the laws? I doubt they'll be able to do it effectively. US states (and by extension cities) have more power and leeway.

London, in no way, shape, or form could ever secede from the UK. It's just a nonstarter. Not even worth talking about.

20. Huntn, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Last I heard Londoners where UK citizens and obligated to follow applicable laws. Now if they decide as a whole that Brexit is a good or bad thing even with a vote, that remains to be seen.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

They're not even citizens (technically speaking). They're subjects, right?

22. unlinked macrumors 6502a

The proportion of London residents that are UK nationals has been shrinking fairly steadily. It is about 75%. Obviously non nationals are supposed to obey laws too.

23. reefoid macrumors regular

We're actually both.

We're subjects of the monarchy, but citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

A subject doesn't have any inherent rights and means we should do as the monarchy tells us. However, as a citizen we do have rights. We are also citizens of the EU, but obviously not for much longer!!

Our passports used to say 'Subjects', but since the introduction of EU style passports this was changed to 'Citizens'.

24. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I think at one stage it gave the right to work and live in the UK. Handy for people who are subjects but not citizens. My mum is old enough that she is eligible to be a British subject but there wouldn't be any point since there has been a common travel/work area between the UK and Ireland for decades and we can vote in all of each others elections apart from UK citizens not being eligible when voting on Irish constitutional amendments.