London Secession

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
An interesting article on London and how the mayor plans to ignore UK policy post brexit.

- Do you believe that any city has the right to ignore country laws it doesn't like (similar to the US sanctuary cities) ?

- The mayor hasn't mentioned independence from the UK yet but do you think that London should separate from the UK post brexit ?

Reactions: thermodynamic

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Dunno. When India got the UK out of its country, they cherrypicked what they liked of UK law and quaintly kept it while belittling and trashing the rest to feel better despite not acknowledging what was good they kept--

So if other countries can, why not the UK of itself?

Once everyone tries separation and all hell breaks loose, globalization will still occur either way. The real issues have less to do with nationalization, globalization, vacuum-fresh, or any other way of doing things...

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Jun 3, 2009
Dunno. When India got the UK out of its country, they cherrypicked what they liked of UK law and quaintly kept it while belittling and trashing the rest to feel better despite not acknowledging what was good they kept--
yeah how dare they feel resentment towards a colonial power who treated its citizens like dogs

Reactions: unobtainium

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
An interesting article on London and how the mayor plans to ignore UK policy post brexit.
Sounds like grandstanding. Perhaps a city can issue visas good within the city, but how will anyone get to the city in the first place? Aren't the borders and customs controlled by the national government? Even if you fly directly into London, you're still going through customs at the airport.

Even if you snuck in or overstayed a tourist visa or whatever, you can't really build a life there. Anyone doing this would risk being caught and losing everything. This might be acceptable to desperate immigrants, but not so much to the "best people in the world" that he wants to recruit.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I think you mean secession.
Thank you. Can I blame it on the spell checker :) ?
[doublepost=1475094423][/doublepost]
Sounds like grandstanding. Perhaps a city can issue visas good within the city, but how will anyone get to the city in the first place? Aren't the borders and customs controlled by the national government? Even if you fly directly into London, you're still going through customs at the airport.

Even if you snuck in or overstayed a tourist visa or whatever, you can't really build a life there. Anyone doing this would risk being caught and losing everything. This might be acceptable to desperate immigrants, but not so much to the "best people in the world" that he wants to recruit.
It sounds like the government is trying to accommodate London but I'm sure London will not get everything they want.

Reactions: mojolicious

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Scotland and London could become Transbritainicca, leaving the rest of the UK to deal with crazy Brexiters... But, if London loses banking business because it is forced to abide by Brexit, and Scotland becomes independent and manages membership in the EU, I am sure Scotland would welcome the big banks with open arms. As would Germany. As would France....

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Khan is simply saying that he'll be trying to ensure that London's global service sector can continue to hire whoever they like. Which I'm assuming isn't even up for discussion: Brexiters are wholly concerned with dusky Goobacks, whereas Italian or German Directors of Derivatives aren't on their radar. Hell, some of them could be mistaken for British at a distance...

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Scotland and London could become Transbritainicca
They could, but the EU has already stated that breakaway regions cannot stay in the EU, so they'd just be Transbritainicca by themselves, now outside of both Britain AND the EU.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
yeah how dare they feel resentment towards a colonial power who treated its citizens like dogs
I personally think the Indians do go a bit far. I mean they slam us for the Jallianwala Bath massacre, but keep rather quiet about the Golden temple massacre which was far worse.

They also haven't done anything like as well post independence as they should. India is only slightly richer than Pakistan which is a basket case, and India has done far worse than China.

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Jun 3, 2009
I personally think the Indians do go a bit far. I mean they slam us for the Jallianwala Bath massacre, but keep rather quiet about the Golden temple massacre which was far worse.

They also haven't done anything like as well post independence as they should. India is only slightly richer than Pakistan which is a basket case, and India has done far worse than China.
i think they go a little too far too honestly. seem super duper touchy if anyone badmouths them. most criticisms are constructive imo

Reactions: Eraserhead

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Er..... India has overtaken China as the worlds fastest growing economy ;)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
But they could apply for the EU, and likely get in quite fast.. 8)
Spain and Belgium have repeatedly indicated that they are against EU entry for breakaway areas like this, because they don't want to set a precedent for their own regions that want to leave. For example Catalonia, a region in Spain that is trying to break away from Spain and join the EU.

All it takes is one EU country to say no, and the applying country cannot get in. So it seems extremely unlikely that Scotland and London could join the EU quickly, unless something could turn both Spain and Belgium around.

They've been saying this for years, even before the Brexit vote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11054187/Spain-and-Belgium-would-veto-an-independent-Scotlands-EU-membership.html

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

I can assure you that Punjabis are not silent about 1984.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

- Do you believe that any city has the right to ignore country laws it doesn't like (similar to the US sanctuary cities) ?

- The mayor hasn't mentioned independence from the UK yet but do you think that London should separate from the UK post brexit ?
Ignore the laws? I doubt they'll be able to do it effectively. US states (and by extension cities) have more power and leeway.

London, in no way, shape, or form could ever secede from the UK. It's just a nonstarter. Not even worth talking about.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Last I heard Londoners where UK citizens and obligated to follow applicable laws. Now if they decide as a whole that Brexit is a good or bad thing even with a vote, that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Last I heard London residents where UK citizens and obligated to follow applicable laws.
The proportion of London residents that are UK nationals has been shrinking fairly steadily. It is about 75%. Obviously non nationals are supposed to obey laws too.

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
They're not even citizens (technically speaking). They're subjects, right?
We're actually both.

We're subjects of the monarchy, but citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

A subject doesn't have any inherent rights and means we should do as the monarchy tells us. However, as a citizen we do have rights. We are also citizens of the EU, but obviously not for much longer!!

Our passports used to say 'Subjects', but since the introduction of EU style passports this was changed to 'Citizens'.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
A subject doesn't have any inherent rights and means we should do as the monarchy tells us.
I think at one stage it gave the right to work and live in the UK. Handy for people who are subjects but not citizens. My mum is old enough that she is eligible to be a British subject but there wouldn't be any point since there has been a common travel/work area between the UK and Ireland for decades and we can vote in all of each others elections apart from UK citizens not being eligible when voting on Irish constitutional amendments.