London Underground threaten to strike (yet again)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by robbieduncan, Oct 12, 2009.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8302023.stm

Lazy, overpaid, ungrateful. These are some of the words I am allowed to write about them. The ones I'd like to use would get me banned.

They already earn way more than they deserve for "driving" trains that cannot crash. They have been offered 1.5% more money now and inflation + 0.5% in April next year. But this is clearly not enough for them. Sometimes I wish we could just shut the Tube and sack the lot of them. Make them go work in the real world where pay rises of any sort right now are difficult to come by.

Once again the Unions ask for the frankly unbelievable and undefendable and make the rest of us suffer. I hate them.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just sick to death of these big unions throwing their weight around because they're not getting exactly what they want.

News flash arse holes: Most people don't get what they want. Your conditions aren't bad in the slightest. F*** you.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Out of interest, what kind of salary could one expect for being a Tube driver?

4. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Over 40k (starting). For a 4 day week. And something like 6 weeks+ holiday. You can't apply to be a driver as it's such a cushy job: you have to join LuL as station staff (or any other role they have open) and after a couple of years you can join the waiting list to get trained as a driver.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sorry to hear this but lets not forget the lawyers, if you want to talk about being overpaid and lazy they are the cream of the crop. At least these guys are doing something.

6. Queso macrumors G4

One hundred million pounds a year.

Or it will be if the union gets its way ;)

7. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I disagree: being a lawyer is not something anyone can do. It takes a certain type of mind, years of dedicated training and even then some don't make it. It takes 2 weeks to learn to drive a tube train.

8. Queso macrumors G4

You forgot horns and a tail.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

According to their unions website they get 7 weeks holiday, and they don't get a 4 day week, they get 9 days over 2 weeks and do a 35 hour week, which isn't quite as outrageous as your making out.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, it does get rather warm down there. I had to have a shower before we walked to the London Picnic because I'd been sweating so much getting the Tube to our hotel.

I'm sure those intrepid Londoners will find some way to beat the strike and get to their offices.

11. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's hardly poorly paid, especially considering that the trains can (and do) actually drive themselves. To turn down a very generous pay offer when already so generously paid is clearly a piss take.

12. Queso macrumors G4

For a brief time in the 90s I did the server support for London Underground, and would be ferried between stations alongside the drivers so that I could hop out at some of their way out locations. It's nowhere near as hot in the cabin as in the carriages, but it's a pretty depressing life all the same. Most of the drivers had stories about jumpers (and I don't mean clothing) and looking forward down that tunnel it's mostly just blackness with the occasional island of lights.

Also very very dirty. Not good for the lungs.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well they are going to pick on the drivers who get the best pay. But the station staff (which is much larger than drivers) is also striking which I am going to assume is part of the same union.

How much is the station staffed paided. The drivers could easily be striking to support the station staff and lets face it the drivers striking gets a hell of a lot more attention than the station staff striking because with out the drivers the system grids to a halt.

14. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Sounds like it is time to fire everyone and train some chimps to push a button.:D

15. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

According to the link I posted above a Station Assistant can start on £29,000. Which is still a very good wage for an unskilled job. The median full time salary in the UK is £25,123.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah the pay seems to be fairly reasonable for what they have to do.

To be fair the median full time salary in London is £31,876 (source).

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm Station Assistant is not a starting position and still takes a while to get there.

From the web site it looks like some of the salary start below £16,000 a year.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Which for London is totally crap.

19. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then go and get a better paid job which they are qualified to do with the skill set they have. Or, more likely, not. I have no time for people who know what the job is and how much it pays, take the job, then claim the pay is jot enough. I have no time for strikes at all.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

So you are unhappy because it inconvences you.

There are multiple ways to break unions. Normally it comes with giving more competitive wages. Chances are good that those low level jobs that are union do not match up with the non union equivalent. Union form because the lower workers feel like they do not have a any voice and are getting screwed over.

21. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Hey, having a soul isn't a prerequisite for being good. You "good people" always piss me off that way. Just because we're evil doesn't mean we're bad people. :p

Also, some unions should kind of shut up. I think unions both in the UK and here in Norway (where the Labour party is very strong) have "overstayed their welcome" in politics, they have become counter productive to the negotiations.

22. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

+1 for Capitalism...
    +1 for Texas "right to work" policy...

I know, I know. Unions have a place, but now days they are nothing more than an unjustified tax.

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

25. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Can me make this thread a sticky? The subject seems to come up every 6 months or so.