London University study - religious beliefs affects how doctors treat patients

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Aug 27, 2010.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    What we already knew or thought, that people who were religious do inject their superstitions into their professional practice. I have no doubt that the reality of how religion affects our lives in the hands of professionals is a far more grave situation than this of course, but it's good to see studies into it. Hopefully more will follow, then the regulations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11083891

2. Queso macrumors G4

But surely if there's an afterlife isn't it their religious duty to allow someone in pain to reach it and find peace at the side of their chosen deity? Or do they doubt their own faith that much?

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It seems that the profession has a polarizing effect, with more strict religious or non-religious adherents by percentage than those same groups of the general population. Perhaps this an artifact of they deal with death in their profession? From my limited experience, doctors may vary on a different number of aspects of their professions (preventative care, alternative medicine, etc.) I'd be interested to see these variances quantified and correlated with religious beliefs, or lack thereof.

No, the core belief is preservation of life at all costs. That's why you have them insisting keeping people on life support and against abortions. While you may view this as incompatible with an afterlife that one would prefer to an earthly existent, the belief is at least consistent.

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

At least in the case of Jesus, I think it's more that they believe that god allows suffering.

5. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

^ Well what happens if we throw a Mormon practitioner into the mix. chrmjenkins says it's preserve life at all costs, I think for the Mormon's the situation is very different.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Don't you mean Jehovah's Witnesses?

They are the one's who don't allow blood transfusions.

7. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

You're very right, I should know that better than anyone after posting about them recently and having experience with them too, but I have been drinking, heavily this afternoon. Probably best to disregard anything I post today. :eek:

8. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

No, you can't read it as that.