Lone GOP rep blocks disaster aid bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by raqball, May 24, 2019.

1. raqball macrumors 68000

This dude is a disgrace.. Politics, politics, politics irregardless of those suffering who desperately need the aid...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lone-gop-rep-blocks-disaster-aid-bill-in-surprise-move

*snip*

A lone Republican congressman single-handedly stalled a $19 billion disaster aid bill that lawmakers had expected to pass before the Memorial Day weekend.

Texas Rep. Chip Roy took to the House floor late Friday morning to object when lawmakers tried to approve the legislation using a fast-track tactic, with many members of Congress already gone for the holiday.

“If I do not object, Congress will have passed a bill with $19 billion without being here to vote on it,” Roy said.

Railing against the "swamp," Roy objected to speeding the measure through a nearly-empty chamber, complained it wasn't paid for and challenged a decision not to include President Trump's $4.5 billion request for dealing with the migrant crisis on the U.S.-Mexico border.

Under House rules, it only took one opposing member to derail the vote. The package likely will now be delayed at least until early June.

2. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

This is a good thing. Bravo to the Congressman.

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Can you elaborate on why continuing to allow Americans in a disaster area to suffer is a good thing?

4. raqball, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019

raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

The (R) controlled senate passed it and he chose to play a silly game to derail it all because it does not fund Trumps wall?

The dude is a disgrace in my opinion especially since the (R) controlled senate already passed it...

People are suffering and need the relief...

More from the article:

Senators had passed the measure on an 85-8 vote; eight Republicans opposed it. Trump then said he would sign the measure, tweeting: "The U.S. Senate has just approved a 19 Billion Dollar Disaster Relief Bill, with my total approval. Great!"

Much of the money would go to Trump strongholds such as the Florida Panhandle, rural Georgia and North Carolina, and Iowa and Nebraska. Several military facilities would receive money to rebuild, including Camp Lejeune in North Carolina and Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska.

The legislation is crucial to states still reeling from devastating hurricanes over the past two years and epic flooding. It would provide over $600 million in nutrition assistance and $304 million in aid for Puerto Rico, which was devastated by Hurricane Maria in 2017.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

from OP
    congress needs to pull their head out of their rear and work for a change, wants bills passed? vote on them, want war waged? approve it, not just let the POTUS whomever it may be at the time get away with taking us into war while they wash their hands from it..........

6. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

So he prolonged the suffering of people over a technicality? It passed the (R) senate and was never in doubt as to it's house passage...

I think he was clear in that his objection was do to lack of funding for the stupid wall....

7. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

But his quote doesn't make sense. They already voted 85-8 in favor of it.

edit: nevermind, wrong wing of Congress.

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I don't disagree, but this is a holiday weekend and it was largely expected to pass. This happens in every chamber at state and federal levels during holiday weekends. At the end of the day, left or right, they have friends and family too and are ultimately just people. So they figured with the President's support, the senate's approval and both sides agreeing this bill would be passed, many took off early.

I don't disagree these elected officials get too much money for too little work, but this isn't the right bill to take a stand on. People are hurting and he's using them as pawns, and I always question the motives of anyone on any side who grandstands on issues like this... do they really care about what they claim, or are they just trying to get their name in the papers? Vanity, it seems.

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Ah, a good old fashion PROCESS objection in the face of an outrageous and inhumane morality issue.

**** that noise.

10. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe this clown should be forced to move into and live in an effected area, and under the same conditions as the residents of them are are doing, until the bill is ultimately passed.....

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's one thing to object to fast tracking a spending appropriation for some stupid project like a bullet train in California, it takes a special kind of ******* to halt disaster relief over a technicality.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if not this bill then on what bill?......per op the bill was not even paid for........do I get your points? YES.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The next time a massive hurricane hits Galveston/Houston lets see if he pumps the breaks on sending monetary help in the interest of debating how we pay for it. My guess is he won't, because he's a Texan.

14. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Bingo! We are not talking about frivolous spending on a partisan pet project... This is disaster relief that effects millions and was already passed by his own party, unanimously in the Senate....

If a (D) did this (R) would be screaming bloody murder and rightfully so...

15. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I seem to recall some MP in the English parliament did something similar recently. He was viewed with such derision and contempt afterwards but bugger if I can remember what it is. Anyway, the point here is that the sentiment for what is being objected to is understood (bills passing in this way), but for goodness sake this isn't the bill to make that point with.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

AGAIN what bill can you make a point on? can they stop bills on their own with just one people objecting to it?

17. samcraig, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019

samcraig macrumors P6

In this case, it seems that the vote was a formality. Sounds like this guy is trying to make a name for himself and do a little Trump boot licking in the process. Which is odd since Trump already praised the bill.

18. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Not this one.

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

He made a point to mention the border funding, but he also (equally) mentioned the fact that Congress was authorizing $19b in new spending without a single minute of debate and no clear way to pay for it. This disaster relief bill is months overdue, so the handwringing going on today for people suffering in Texas, PR, NC and GA rings a little hollow when nobody seemed to have a problem with the delay before today.

20. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree to a point but was this the bill to die on the sword for? I also consider that his own party in the Senate voted to pass the bill...

21. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

My initial reaction when reading the headline was to ask the same question as you. Then I went looking for his whole, unedited statement on the issue and came across the floor speech he gave today. You can watch it here.

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1131941553264627712

After reading more about the bill and watching the video I now view this as a courageous step. It's a bill we know will pass, unchanged, likely as early as Tuesday depending on whether or not Roy is still in DC at that point. It's a disaster relief bill that people on both sides of the aisle want. And he still said no to make his point about deficit spending, debt expansion & border security (he never mentioned wanting money for a wall). He's going to get raked over the coals over this and he did it anyway.

Party unity is a fine concept in so far as you agree with what the party is doing. Blind loyalty to a D or R makes no sense to me, so for him to buck the conventional wisdom (outside of the 8 men and women who voted against it in the Senate) on this and object to its passage took guts in my opinion.

22. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

So then the congressman is not licking the presidents boot?

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Yes, he is.

24. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

How so? The congressman just put a stop to something that the president praised. I’m kinda confused to how this is a boot licking scenario?

25. weckart macrumors 601

The bill was outlawing "upskirting" - taking photos under women's skirts without consent. Every member of Parliament voted for except one old Tory who said due process had not been followed and the bill should have been debated more. He said he wasn't opposed to the legislation, just to the way it was being rushed through Parliament.