Long Island Railroad, the Railroad Retirement Board, and Disability Claims Processing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Dec 15, 2008.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This expose from the NYT yesterday was really interesting....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/us/15rail.html?hp=&pagewanted=all

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, I've never heard of any other federal agency (or any other agency of any kind) that had a disability claims granting rate like that.... Although the government does grant lots of disability claims for its various agencies, I've never heard of anything like this....

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Note to President-Elect Obama. Here's a good place to start reforming the budget.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

But is this not the same government which has given us the Patriot Act and the TSA? The same government to which some would entrust our health care?

'Rat

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Thankfully we've voted that government out of office.

7. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And this seems to have been going on long before 9/11 or the Bush administration....

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, unfortunately this particular source of bad government seems to have been going on for decades.

However, the Patriot Act and TSA are squarely on this administration, and that's why I'd be more trusting of a new administration to handle things like healthcare.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

'Scuse me, but what was the vote on the Patriot Act? How much effort since the swearing in of January, 2007, has been spent by the Congress in amending it?

IOW, what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter which party has the White House or the majority in Congress. Hey, the government--IRS--took over the Jackrabbit Ranch and then went broke--which is sorta hard to do, selling what the JR was selling...

All this talk about "change"? Hey, Blago-baby ran as a reformer...

'Rat

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Was that in addition to the Mustang Ranch in Nevada??

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So did Tom DeLay, IIRC...

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

iJohnHenry, thanks for the correction.

mac, you're probably right. We keep being told of "change", "reform" and "God, Mom and apple pie" and about all we get is the same-old same-old. I dunno. This was my thirteenth time to vote in a presidential election and I've seen little real change through all these years.

Well, not for the better, anyhow...

'Rat

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Damn, they should have put me in charge. ;)

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The first Patriot Act was passed at a time of great fear and Congress wasn't being careful (not to mention the fact that at the time, the Republicans controlled the House and had a 49 seat hold on the Senate).

Incase you didn't notice, the current Patriot Act has been changed in some ways from the original, and will likely to be changed even further now that both branches are in control of the Democratic Party.
    The new administration hasn't even taken office yet; give them a chance to fix the enormous mess left by their predecessors.

I personally don't know the record of the Illinois governor. He may be a corrupt politician, but if he reformed what he promised in his campaigns, then you can't blame him for that.

15. szark macrumors 68030

szark

From what I've read recently, he ran on a platform to eliminate corruption in Illinois politics. :p

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Getting himself put in jail would seem to go a long way towards fulfilling that promise then, eh? :p

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

CalBoy, I don't see much sign of any lessening of fear on the part of Congressfolks. And I notice that Obama has changed his tune a good bit in the last month or so about foreign wars and the seriousness of terrorism--as though he's taking it all a lot more seriously than when on the campaign trail. Damfino. Maybe these transition briefings are having some impact...

'Rat

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think we're going to see some of the more vile parts of the Patriot Act reversed under this president.

If not that, we're going to get Supreme Court appointments who aren't going to tolerate it.

20. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I was referring specificly to the lirr and not government in general. I ride the lirr every day... Im riding it right now ;)