Long time Smartphone Users - Give it up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OSMac, Sep 12, 2012.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

For long time smart phone users, say those using one for over 3 years, has your usage pattern changed ?

Do you download as many apps as before?

Could you give it up and just use a standard phone and a tablet when needed for data?

At 3.5", 4" or even 5" is a smartphone just too small for comfortable internet,email, games use etc?

2. MarcBook, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I think the iPad has been the biggest influence on my smartphone usage and has vastly reduced the way I use my iPhone. I used to play games all the time, loads of different apps etc. on the iPhone, but the iPad is now my preferred device for most of those things.

To be honest, though, my Mac is by far my favourite piece of kit and I spend the majority of my 'device time' on it.

I think my iPhone usage has dropped over time due to other devices, boredom (although the iPhone is still the only phone I want, don't get me wrong) and less free time to piss around on Angry Birds (in my case).

3. cperchard macrumors 6502a

When the first iPhone came out, everyone loved how massive it was, and for internet and e mail it was amazing......nothing's changed apart from the fussyness of customers.....they see something bigger we want bigger......but for me, 3.5" for a phone still does the job. I have an iPad for home which i use, but if i'm out and need to quickly see something on the go, i have no problem with the current size.

4. stickyfingers85 macrumors regular

I sold my iphone 4 about 5 weeks ago ready for the new one and have been using an old very basic Nokia.

It's been horrible! The only good thing is the battery life, 1 week on a single charge!

Very much looking forward to getting back to smartphone life

5. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Of course I could give it up. For 99% of people it's just a toy. Folks who insist that they Need one always make me roll my eyes.

Do I want to give it up? Don't be silly, of course not.

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Exactly right... although I am growing weary and realizing just how much of my precious and limited time on earth is spent doing stupid crap on the iPhone.

7. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

It's hard to go back to a basic phone after you've used an iPhone. I couldn't do it unless my finances changed and I was forced to.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm the type of customer a smartphone is designed for. Highly mobile, work internationally, having the ability to handle emails while in line at the airport, or short periods of sitting while waiting for an appointment, a smartphone is ideal.

That said, I do understand why people that work in one location and Internet access at all times is not critical, I can understand those who are rethinking their needs.

As my usage has increased, the only drawback for me is the tiny screen on the iPhone.

Happily I now enjoy the spacious display on my Galaxy S III.

I just don't believe the excuses Apple gives for avoiding staying current with the iPhone. Elongating a small display by a few millimeters is of little advantage. Yet Apples brilliance is the way they've influenced people to actually believe Apple knows what's best for them.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I could give up my iPad much easier than my iPhone. My iPhone is always with me, the iPad isn't. I use my phone at work and at this point would be very hard to go back without it. Sure the iPad is easier to use for the internet and such but it's no use if it's not convenient at the time.

10. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

99% is way too high of a percentage.

If you look at it that way, everything is a toy. You don't need a car, it's a toy, get a bike, or better yet just walk, cause bike is a toy too.

I would describe and change this thread a bit, I'd say a smartphone is a tool, most people own that tool because they simply want it, not because they need it and they never use all of it's potential.

I could probably give it up, but I need a GPS navigation, I need Viber, I need a camera, I also use a grocery app for shopping... everything else, emails, Internet, etc... are "toys", although, at times they have come in handy like checking eBay progress, replying to an email instead of waiting to get home and then reply, etc...

Of course I could give it up, but it would make things a bit harder for me.

A smartphone will also replace a tons of other devices for you, GPS, music player, camera, alarm, even a flashlight. So why have all those things instead of having one thing?

Tablets and the rest IMO are items of luxury IMO, but a smartphone nowadays is as essential as a laptop. Can you give up your laptop? Of course you can, but it'll make things harder for you. You need a smartphone and a laptop.

11. mantan macrumors 68000

What would people do on the can????? Go back to reading the newspaper? How uncivilized.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Sure, you could give it up, but I really like the security of knowing I'll never get lost again and if me or a family member breaks down, it's a since to find them.

Oh, and I've always got my 25gig music collection with me. :D

13. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

No way, new tech, why give it up? :p

Things will just improve with new tech, no need to go back without a smartphone. lol, unless we somehow run out of resources on this planet in the near future..

14. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

The second I got the original iPhone, I knew I couldn't go back...

My personal phone: I need it for email, GPS, camera, reminders, alarms... I do Distance Learning Graduate School for my Master's Degree, so I need to get my school emails as quickly as possible.

My work phone: Email, Calendars, Reminders.

--------------------

But I definitely do not download apps as much anymore... Or I should say, I do not download games anymore really. I have so little free time to play games on my phone that I stick to Solitaire or Hearts.