Longer Keyboard on iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FSMBP, Sep 28, 2012.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but it seems like Apple took the lazy approach with the extra real estate on the iPhone 5. You get to see more content length-wise but was that ever an issue?

Either way, I did a crappy mock-up in Paint on how Apple could have added an extra row on the keyboard & still had more viewing room than the 4S.

The bottom of the keyboard in iOS 6 is so cramped, they could move stuff up there and add other popular characters. How many times you do you accidentally tap the microphone or other other keys at the bottom, probably more than you like I bet.

Attached Files:

2. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

Which version you have? My iP5 has the number, mic, space, and return keys on the bottom so I prefer it as is and don't need another row. Though I agree, if you have an international keyboard, it looks bad.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I'm confused, so the extra real estate is top to bottom in portrait mode. Why would they change the keyboard in portrait mode? I could see changing it in landscape where they could add some additional letters to the edges so that the keys are the same size.... but in portrait mode?

4. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

They have room to add an extra row of characters in portrait & still offer more real estate than an iPhone 4S.

Just look at the bottom of the keyboard in the first post, if you have an international keyboard (for emoticons, most iPhone users I know use this), it is cramped. They could add comment punctuation marks or numbers or whatever so people don't have to consistently switch back & forth.

5. maclook macrumors 65816

That was always an issue for me. This was the first benefit I envisioned when the rumors of a longer iPhone came out. I'd much rather see more content than have a bigger keyboard.

In your example, the bottom row is more cramped because there is an @ and "." key when you type the contact's name. That key goes away when you're actually typing a message, making the space bar 3x larger.