longevity of 2010 i7 macbook pro & apple care need reassurance about my purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 65816

I have been reading threads about apple care & such, I have had my notebook for about 6 months no & so far, so good, I like mac os fluidity, it seems to flow better. but some of people's experiences in the apple care threads made me nervous.

Can I expect to get a good long run with my computer? I spent alot on it, & have moved off the family computer stationed in the kitchen since I have my own now, family is relieved, since it is freed up for others to use it, (it was a windows pc) but I dont want to be like a dog with it's tail between it's legs having to go back to the family pc because parts & components are failing on my fancy macbook pro.

I read about parts & things breaking down after only 1 year for some. I need my computer to run cool, stable & last a while, I am taking online classes. I also read a bout apple's quality computers & have taken the plunge, but I dont want to regret it.

are there things I can do to make it last as long as possible? keep it cool?

- needing a little reassurance about money spent

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Your computer is awesome. One of the nicest on the market in fact. Any electronics can have problems. The vast majority of macs don't. I've had my MBP for about 9 months. I love it. My first Mac and won't be the last.

AppleCare is always a Good idea. But in most cases you won't need the repair end of it, but it's always nice to have 3 years of phone support. Apple is always a pleasure to call anytime I've needed them for something.

Worry not. You made an excellent purchase.

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Apple makes great products that last!! That being said, all technology products can break. In the past I have never gotten Apple Care (once I wish I had) If I had I would have probably paid more than $1,000 in apple care costs and only used it once.

But this time around I got Apple Care for my MBP 15" and glad I did as I had a hard drive go bad last fall right after the end of the one year warranty. So while my defective drive replacement probably more than paid for the apple care cost, I did get Apple Care at a discount because I am an educator. So for me the jury is still out if someone should get Apple Care if paying full price. I always tell educators and students to buy it due to the huge discounts. For most, Apple Care is never used (which is why they can afford to sell it) but for a few it is incredibly helpful.

Sorry I was probably not much help. Search Mroogle in my signature for apple care threads and I am sure you will find many more arguments for and against buying it.

Very good point- if this is your first Mac then I agree the phone support might be worth it alone. The phone support is second to none when issues come up (even for people that really know Macs inside and out!)

4. aussiedj macrumors regular

Your choice, but you would get better & more detailed support right here. No need to blow $450.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/0...ended-warranty-fund-to-self-insure-purchases/ - Read this about creating your own extended warranty fund to self insure. Funny cause I only read it about 45 minutes ago.

And as far as reassurance goes. You joined macrumors, and you haven't even bought a mac yet. Something has already grabbed your attention, so I think you already know the answer to your own question.

5. Aatos.1, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I'm a long time Mac & PC user. Currently I have the 15" 2010 core i7, 8GB, SSD equipped MBP. If one takes care of it, you can expect several years of excellent service.

Remember that it's only normal to read about problems here, as the users enjoying trouble free operation have no need to write about it. Also as enthusiasts we tend to be more attuned to our computers.

Then there are those that do not spend the time or take responsibility for learning about their machines. At the first sign of trouble they expect others to do they're thinking for them.

At the end of the day these are excellent... unless you buy used and it's been neglected or abused.

Finally I always buy Apple Care & highly suggest you do. Yes we can give you a modest degree of assistance here, but we cannot do repairs including free parts & labor as Apple Care does. For a reasonable one tome fee you get three full years of phone support as well. There is no better investment for an expensive machine than Apple Care.

Cheers.