Longhorn not threatened by Mac 'halo' effect

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Good read.

A tangential point brought up in this article is that Apple should consider working on an iPod Video, to try to boost the popularity of Quicktime over Windows Media and other formats... he also posits that should Apple do this, they need to increase the size of the screen.

Just remember, a lot of people here dogged on Sony for having a 4" screen on the PSP... there was a lot of "why on Earth would you want to watch video on a screen that small?" OK. If the iPod Video, whenever it comes out, doesn't have at least that size of a screen, I fully expect those of you who dogged Sony to ALSO dog Apple for postage stamp-sized video. :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i wouldnt buy a Video iPod myself, but i could see them being successful, and the author is has a good point about pushing QT over WMP

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
A good article, but IMO the wrong title. It just touches Longhorn and the rest of it is about Window media player and Quicktime. It was very well written.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
I suppose recent switchers from the iPod halo effect are willing to buy a brand new computer when Longhorn comes out. Either that or Microsoft will convince all recent switchers to buy a Longhorn version of Virtual PC. Considering a lot of switchers will have a Mac mini I don't think their system will be powerful enough to run such an inefficient OS like Longhorn. Because Mac OS X Tiger doesn't require insanely high system requirements I think it will probably be cheaper to buy a new mac that runs Tiger than a new PC that runs Longhorn. And everybody thought PCs were cheaper. That's about to change.

Longhorn not threatened by Mac 'halo' effect? Good joke Zdnet.com.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I don't find this article very convincing. The mention of C|Net in the beginning of the article makes it far less believable, given their reputation for being anti-Apple.

Why would "everyone" be jumping on the Windows Media bandwagon? Sure there's the DRM factor - standards, like MPEG-4, transcend DRM implementations as well as operating systems, unlike Windows Media. Also, Microsoft isn't as inclined to make Windows Media for non-Windows operating systems equivalent in features to the Windows version as the makers of, say, MPEG-4 players are. This gives MPEG-4 a distinct advantage over Windows Media - an advantage the content providers would be foolish to ignore.

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
"Longhorn not threatened by Mac 'halo' effect"
Thats right, its threatened by Microsoft and their sh*t practices/system.
Sorry, I didn't RTFA but I just had to...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
clayjohanson said:
A tangential point brought up in this article is that Apple should consider working on an iPod Video, to try to boost the popularity of Quicktime over Windows Media and other formats...
I think Apple probably knows that the fraction of people would actually BUY an iPod Video--AND then use it and truly get a good experience from it--would be a trivial effect (and possibly a negative one) on the perception of QuickTime.

I think it's cool idea... but I doubt I'd pay what one would cost because it's actual practical uses would be too limited.

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
nagromme said:
I think Apple probably knows that the fraction of people would actually BUY an iPod Video--AND then use it and truly get a good experience from it--would be a trivial effect (and possibly a negative one) on the perception of QuickTime.

I think it's cool idea... but I doubt I'd pay what one would cost because it's actual practical uses would be too limited.
My 2 cents worth....
I believe you will see an iPod video within 2 years tops. It is the logical progression of the iPod. It will have to evolve into a device that has more functions or it will stop selling. Just increasing the hard drive space isn't enough to maintain its present sales rate.

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Well....

I dunno, I have seen Longhorn and haven't been impressed. I went as far as when deciding which way to take my small business the next few years as we hire people, to go with Apple.

A month ago we bought 3 Mac Minis and a PowerMac, as well as two Xserves to add two our web hosting cluster (we already had 2 1st gen xserves from 2 1/2 yrs ago and were very impressed).

I can say we haven't been disappointed in the Mini's yet. They were for 3 new positions, only one of which we've even done any work on hiring yet. But we have full confidence that Apple has a solid direction; where as Microsoft does not. OS X is far more usable in my opinion than what we've seen from the watered down, over simplified (and thus over simplified to the level of being hard for someone who actually wants to get stuff done) UI that Longhorn has. Its one thing to dumb down an OS, its totally different to make it usable by both advanced and novice users.

We are upgrading all of our systems to Tiger the day it comes out; and have the OS X maintanance contracts on the two newest XServes.

Microsoft recently asked us to cough up money for their VAR developer program renewal which covered their MSDN licensing....we told them to go shove it, we went from 100% Windows/Dell to 80% Mac in just a week. No regrets here.

spaz

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
san francisco, ca
I think it's also worthwhile to note that the first person to market isnt' necessarily the best or the one that lasts... there were plenty of MP3 players on the market before Apple stepped in and made something awesome. I think it's premature to assume just becauseee there are WMV-endabled devices out there that Apple is lazy, uninterested, or out of the game...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think Apple will get involved with video when televisions come with wireless internet, and the iPod has an 802.11 b/g/n card in it to allow video to stream to a television. That way, you can use the iPod as a remote control.

Otherwise, watching video from a small screen will never catch on.

clayjohanson said:
If the iPod Video, whenever it comes out, doesn't have at least that size of a screen, I fully expect those of you who dogged Sony to ALSO dog Apple for postage stamp-sized video. :)
But MacRumours members won't. Most are like sheep, and will probably praise Apple's new video iPod for its ease of use or something, ignoring the fact that it has a smaller screen than the PSP. ;)

My 2 cents worth....
I believe you will see an iPod video within 2 years tops. It is the logical progression of the iPod. It will have to evolve into a device that has more functions or it will stop selling. Just increasing the hard drive space isn't enough to maintain its present sales rate.
Yeah, its coming. Its just that I don't believe it's coming in its current form. (ie: the Archos or PSP vision of a portable video device).

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
HACK (this guy is a ...)

This guy linked to a blog about the quicktime thing on the iPod that was an April fools joke.
"(1) Activating some dormant Quicktime technology in all those iPods (I don't think this exists, but I have read about interesting hacks) is one approach that would take Microsoft by surprise,"

The link includes such lines as "The author explains that the iPod is actually running a slimmed down version of the Mac OS X kernel and that all is needed to bring custom applications to life is a text editor and knowledge of a little known variant of the SNOBOL programming language that Apple uses, known as SNOJOB."

SNOJOB?? I love C|net, zdnet, etc. They almost as funny as Fox Spews. :p

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
clayjohanson said:
Just remember, a lot of people here dogged on Sony for having a 4" screen on the PSP... there was a lot of "why on Earth would you want to watch video on a screen that small?" OK. If the iPod Video, whenever it comes out, doesn't have at least that size of a screen, I fully expect those of you who dogged Sony to ALSO dog Apple for postage stamp-sized video. :)
Apparently, the people who "dogged" on Sony about the small screen didn't forget: http://gaming.engadget.com/entry/1234000377038406/

I think it's funny how people keep pushing portability, but because of the internet, people rather stay at home. I'm a pretty regular guy and I don't see a use for a portable video device. The iPod is usable because I can use it in the car, or take it to parties and be a DJ, but portable video? Do I really need 1,000 movies with me at ALL times? I dunno, something tells me this will never catch on, but I could be wrong.

Fishes,
narco.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I have faith that Apple has learned from past mistakes, and isn't resting on its current sucsess.

With all of the rumors, Ipod Video, new PM computers, New Software , (os and Packages). There is allot to look forward to.

I would personally like an Ipod Photo that also played video clips. I often take as many pictures as I do videos on my Cannon Powershot pro1. I would also like to watch Tivo recorded media on my ipod while I am riding the bus, or taking the L when visiting Chicago.

The screen size is great for 1 person.. You could have a palm sized video device and use it jogging, taking a road trip (as a passanger) or waiting for an appointment.

The Hardware is there, and I believe there is a group working on Ipod linux to support some sort of video playback, so I doubt apple would have much trouble either.

Remember, most Ipods (gen 1 upto photo) are Little Dual Processor computers. The hardware is almost advanced enough to be a small pocket PC, and I don't think asking it to playback video would be too much for it to handle.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
There are some things that need to be said.

This is the kind of anti-mac drivel that Bill Gates Liptoners have been spouting for the longest time. Ask this imbecile which OS he thinks is superior and he who shout from the tallest soapbox he can find, "Windows XP!" Simple fact is, you can't trust any articles from these media outlets any more. And as for the need of a video iPod, the RIAA seems mighty miffed right now, and I don't think that I need a video device that you can't get legal video on. The thing is, any method of taking the video off of a DVD is highly illegal. Even if it is for personal use only, it's still ilegal. This means that, to get movies on an iPod, you'd have to either A) buy them from a supplier in a proprietary disc format, or B) break the law and be guilty of a crime that is punishable by up to $500,000.00 US. Also, apple would be putting itself out on a limb by releasing a movie player. I guarantee you that apple won't release a player with some kind of removable drive. This would mean that almost any movie obtained for the iVid or what ever you want to call it would need to be obtained illegally. Seeing as how the RIAA has over-estimated the size of its shoes of late, I don't think apple will try to bring anything like this to market, not with things like H.264 on the line.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
840quadra said:
snip... You could have a palm sized video device and use it jogging...snip
Mind how you go :D, that's always assuming you can focus on the screen, whilst jogging. :rolleyes:

As others have noticed the article was more about Windows Media than Longhorn, I didn't think it was so well written, just typically focussed on the wrong arguments. Had to smile at this one....

"Although Apple got lucky to have its brand associated with RSS-delivered audio (again, podcasting), ..."

He sounded really bitter at this point. No mention of H.264 video standard in this either, or HD video, or that Quicktime is evolving.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
iPod Video

I have an iPod Video, and it even has a 14" screen.

Apple calls it the iBook. Really, I couldn't imagine watching a movie on a screen smaller than 14"... I can't even watch movies on it, I constantly pine for my surround sound.

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
Abstract said:
But MacRumours members won't. Most are like sheep, and will probably praise Apple's new video iPod for its ease of use or something, ignoring the fact that it has a smaller screen than the PSP. ;)
I almost spit my soda all over myself when I read that.

How about the one where they will say. Yes the (insert other companies product) sucks. It took Apple to get it right. And wont even pretend to notice that (insert other companies product) came out with the idea first. The thought of Apple stealing someone else's idea will never cross their minds.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Longhorn doesn't have to worry about Apple because by the time Longhorn is released people would be too busy playing Duke Nukem Forever. :rolleyes:

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Longhorn is threatened by the abject, slow development pace AND by Mac OS X. Every quarter that passes, more home consumers are buying Apple. I have five friends that have switched this year alone. They will still use XP and eventually Longhorn at the office, but will not go back to Windows at home any time soon. This will affect some OEM business in the future. After all, MS became a beast by having their software bundled with new home computers.

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
Balin64 said:
Longhorn is threatened by the abject, slow development pace AND by Mac OS X. Every quarter that passes, more home consumers are buying Apple. I have five friends that have switched this year alone. They will still use XP and eventually Longhorn at the office, but will not go back to Windows at home any time soon. This will affect some OEM business in the future. After all, MS became a beast by having their software bundled with new home computers.
Mac sales figures do not back this up.
According to IDC the sales of Mac's have only slightly increased to a miserable 2.9% market share overall.
This is not a juggernaut of sales.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
~loserman~ said:
Mac sales figures do not back this up.
According to IDC the sales of Mac's have only slightly increased to a miserable 2.9% market share overall.
This is not a juggernaut of sales.
Ahh, but Mac sales have been increasing at a rate of 25% which is significantly out-pacing the industry.

I'd also love to see numbers for the Mac market share when you discount coporate bulk purchases, since that's more indicative of the average consumer.