Look at Adobe Go Live 6 For OS X

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
where the heck is photoshop

is it just me or is adobe forgeting about the number 1 most used mac app out there? where the heck is photoshop? come on guys between canon's lack of support for converting the raw images of my G1, epson not having drivers out for the epson 1160 printer (shares same internals as the 777 and and barrows some from the 1280 so i'm just plain confused on this) and adobe's so far un announced release of photoshop for os 10 i'm begining to worry.

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
relax

I dont know why people are freaking out about no photoshop for X yet. Sure, it is the last app I keep OS9 around for, but think about it. Photoshop is a burly app. Why would they jsut throw it into Aqua to make you antsy kids happy?

Adobe will give us Photoshop when it is ready. Obviously vector based apps were the easiest to convert (freehand, illustrator) and layout apps as well. Golive will be easy in comparision because it is jsut managing code.

Photoshop and Adobe products are tight because they dont skimp. Be patient. I am sure you antsy ones will run right out and buy it and then race to be the first to post about it.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
os x dev should move faster, if only by a little

including the first beta my friends got their hands on, i have seen os x out for a whole year now and still no photoshop

when i see the printing issues ironed out and photoshop out on os x, then i think my graphic designer wife will then migrate to os x...graphics people might be among the last to adopt fully the os x change

some new, basic mac users are using os x and don't see much wrong with it since they have little reference

i don't doubt the complexity of photoshop though

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
GoLive brings back memories...

I remember first seeing "GoLive Cyber Studio" at a CNet developer conference back in '96 or '97. Back then (before being acquired by Adobe) it was a Mac-only application and *man* did it rock!

It was far and away the best visual development editor avaiable. It was *way* ahead of of anything else available at the time.

It only had one major drawback... it didn't always do a good job of not modifying existing code. And, its support for scripting languages like ASP and Cold Fusion was poor in the 1.0 release.

Minor drawback... man was it a RAM hog. But I'd rather run a RAM-hog than a screen hog like dreamweaver.

S

Some Guy

Used it before then

I used it back before then. It was just called "golive Pro" from gonet (Germany) at that time. I have the manual right in front of me.

I purchased it over the Internet and my credit card company called to make sure I had actually paid for a product from a company in Germany.

Ahh the early days of e-commerce.

Then came PageMill and people were like, what the hell is wrong with Adobe. PageMill as a wysiwyg web page editor? Geeze. Good thing they bought golive (the product, which became the name of the company which was rather confusing).

Maybe some wannabe Hollywood director should make a docudrama of Adobe; how it was started as a tiny little company to make Apple's LaserWriter useful with its PostScript, got an in-house graphics app from Industrial Light and Magic, swallowed smaller software companies to increase its reach (Aldus), created PDF and became the graphics app king. There must be some skeletons in someone's closet there. Just a thought.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
ahead of the curve...

Yes. A lot of the docs were still in German when I was using it.

I hope the original developers made out well through the acquisitions. It was truely a ground breaking product.

I completely understand Adobe wanting to call it "GoLive" as opposed to "Cyber Studio". :)

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Beautiful GoLive

I've been using GoLive for a few years now, and I've become very fond if it. It's a beautiful application - one of the best implimentations of OS 8's Platinum interface that I've seen - the Finder-like Site window looks particuarly smart.

Adobe's purchase of GoLive and release of a Windows version did some harm to GoLive's fine looks and standard Adobe UI elements were introduced - making the interface into a bit of a mongrel - a shame when you consider its pedigree Mac past.

The screen shots of GoLive 6 indicate that they've made some effort to move to Aqua for the OS X version - although there are still a lot of old Platinum icons there like the file server icon - lets hope they clean these bits up before the final release.

GoLive were always Apple fantatics. Their adoption of some of Apple's weaker offerings like Web Objects was only further evidence of their obsessive faithfulness to Cupertino. It's good to see with GoLive 6 they're catching up to big industry standards like JSP.

I hope it comes out soon. Then all I'm waiting for is Photoshop and I can ditch Classic altogether.

jtrascap

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2001
Seen 6.0 in action

And it looks sweeeet....

We had an Adobe day here at my workplace (Media Plaza, in the Netherlands) and they demoed the next-gen betas of GoLive and Premiere on PCs and older G4 laptops running OS X - very sweet, very fast and WebDAV flew with nearly no issues (there was an app quit, but after a few hours of showing off, I can forgive it).

PHP integration is VERY nice - real drag and drop; much more nicer integrated than in Ultradev. I don't know how well it extends as no one did anything more than a direct grab of a table (I wanted to see a joins demo) but it was fast...very fast.

I'm eager to pick up GoLive 6 when it comes out...for $300 I won't even think about it, I'll just grab it. Good tools are good things to have...

C_a_r_s_t_e_n

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2000
Oldenburg, Germany
What does the code look like?

I am waiting for a professional webediting tool for OSX for quite a while.
In OS 9.2 I work with Dreamweaver 4.1 and this is state of the art! The code is clean and W3C conform.
If there are still maipulations to make, I use BBedit. But this is rather unusual.

I would like to know wether the code GoLive produces is as neat as the code of Dreamweaver.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
GoLive code

I would say that since GoLive 5 there hasn't been much in it between Dreamweaver and GoLive for code, although I don't like the way that GoLive does roll overs...

The biggest issue I've found with GoLive & Dreamweaver is the way they mess up code that they don't understand. I'm hoping GoLive 6 will be more JSP friendly.

It's strange that despite the fact that GoLive and Dreamweaver perform a similar function, they do it in very different ways, which means migrating from one to the other is not easy. You might find you prefer waiting for Dreamweaver to be Carbonised, which presumably won't be long now. Still, I'd welcome a convert to the small but exclusive community of GoLive users ;-)

belgar

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2001
Emo, Ontario
GoLive 5...

...is my most-used app at work. I've been using it since GLCS 2.0. I was one of the original members of the GoLiveTalk Mailing List, before it was hosted at blueworld.

And GoLive 5.0 sucks my ass.

It is the most unstable app on my HD. It crashes regularly, through clean installs, system installs and more. I love using the app -- but I cross my fingers every time I select the font pulldown menu (for example). Or I past text from one document to another.

There are tons of documented issues with this bugg-ridden software, and take a gander at the version: .0. It's been at 5.0 SINCE IT WAS RELEASED OVER A YEAR AGO. And now, for carbonizing and bug fixing, we'll have to pay $2-300. This is unbelievable ********.

The *only* reason I haven't gone to DW is that I'd have to learn a whole new interface -- and I don't have time.
</rant>

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Sorry to hear you find GoLive unstable. Personally I can't think of any Mac app that I would regard as stable! Crashes just seem to go with the territory. You're right though Belgar, GoLive is particuarly bad in this respect, and the increasing number of "backup" site documents on my hard drive is a testament to this. If the Carbonised version of GoLive proves to be more stable then it will be an upgrade well worth paying for.

From my observations resulting from working with designers using DreamWeaver, it's no more stable than GoLive.

[Edited by Foocha on 11-22-2001 at 06:29 PM]

C_a_r_s_t_e_n

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2000
Oldenburg, Germany
don't agree - just an experience...

..but I have never ever had a crash with DW.
Believe me or not.
What I like most with DW is its intuitive handling.
GoLive 5 crashed my Mac several times so that I got rid of it after a week.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
GoLive is ****!

Dream Weaver (4 Ultra Dev) is away too sofisticated, Adobe is late in that one. The interface is not intuitive at all. I got Image Ready in 2 days, Dream Weaver Ultra Dev in one week, 2 months later GoLive is slowing me out. To have colored icons for everything dosn't necesarily means intuitive.

OS X sucks too.

dodge

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2001
GoLive 5 or 6 whatever

On my system, GoLive runs like a charm except for one thing: .swf files. Other than that, no problems at all. And about code, I usually create the main elements in GoLive, make a few templates, run it through a couple of my own custom code cleaners, and then port the whole thing to a filemaker database. From there I just merge the parts I need, fill out some fields with the varable content I want to publish and export the result as either .html or .shtml files. Anyone with any experience on this?