Look at this email:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Sep 15, 2012.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

My girlfriend received this in the email a couple of days ago. Are you serious? This is the stuff that some Republicans are actually getting in the mail. It's disinformation, and it's pathetic.

Now, that being said, both sides use tactics like this, but I found this one to be over the top. Barack Obama is responsible for personal debt? Really? Because you know that some person is getting this email, and thinking "geez, Barack Obama has caused us $$55 trillion in debt? Of course I'm not voting for that guy".

(From "College Republicans")
    :(

Attached Files:

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Not that I actually believe those numbers, but how can anyone look at that and not say that we need more money coming in from taxes?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sad. According to the Republicans, we were living in ****ing Shangri-La until 1/21/09. Pathetic.

6. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

All of the numbers in this email are valid and important. I wouldn't necessarily add them all together ;) but, personal debt for example is a valid and useful measure of economic health.

The implication of this email is what's wrong. To suggest these problems exist exclusively because of Obama, and that the Republican party is the solution... is patently ridiculous. Obama's spending record is definitely worse... but that hardly means the alternative is any good.

If the information was coupled with a message saying something to the effect of "we aren't perfect, we've spent more than we can afford, but President Obama has taken spending to an entirely new level... we can't afford 4 more years of President Obama" that would strike me as far more accurate and less misleading.

7. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

They are always so quick to blame the current administration, do they not know that a republican was president for 8 years pre Obama? wars and the beginning of this financial mess was under his Administration

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Of course we know that they know. They just hope that likely voters will either ignore their past performance or have really short memories. The problem is not their base. They are more than willing to forget. The problem is the independents might hold them accountable for their part in our current situation.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good point.

I'm not sure I agree, but that would certainly be a reasonable thing to say in politics. Certainly the Democrats would make statements like this.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm just curious ... how does the government determine what it can "afford" to spend?

11. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

arbitrarily

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Actually to really be accurate it would have to say that "Obama had to spend all that money due to our own Republican President's mess."

13. TPadden macrumors 6502a

A good indication they can't afford to spend is when thy have to buy their own bonds ;).

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I love how politicians want to assign the blame for debt that started before the people they are blaming were born.

The debt is a huge issue for the US. However, it is everybody's issue and an issue that has accumulated over a period of decades, not years or months.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So then what would you have the government do?

IMO, the first and foremost responsibility of government is to take care of its citizens.

Debt can be paid off over time. The needs of the citizens must be addressed in the here and now.

Please describe how you would address these two needs of paying down the debt, while serving the citizens.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

[​IMG]

17. TPadden, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

TPadden macrumors 6502a

I'd cut spending but I bet they (either party) buy more bonds :D.

"Debt can be paid off over time" :D:D:D; until it can't :(:(:(.

18. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Thats quite simple : tax em :eek:

If those citizens want better paved roads, better schools and more police, tell them what it costs and how you plan to tax them to get that money.

If those citizens want the US to remain the only global (miltary) power, tell them what it really really costs and how you plan to tax them into ground to get those insane amounts of money.

Nah, won't happen :rolleyes:

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Both are within the realms of standard political partisanship ;).

Then you default.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Taxes need to be raised

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You cannot raise taxes high enough to pay the debt and the continued spending of the government. You would need to tax every taxpayer at 130% for the next 10 years.

Spending needs to be cut dramatically, and it needs to happen now.

Full on Depression, not Recession, is looming, and both parties are in fiscal denial.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

No one will like the things that are actually necessary. With Bush we saw a combination of tax cuts and invasions. If taxes went up, there would have been more resistance to his wars. No one likes to realize who must eventually pay for them. Reducing the debt would involve cutting services and raising taxes. You won't be able to approach this from one angle.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly. That's why we need to cut the military dramatically.

I know it's not the complete answer, but it's a start.

24. Rodimus Prime, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2012

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You are right spending needs to be cut along with taxes being raised. You can not do it with just spending cuts.

Military is the first place the cuts need to happen.

Oh look 2 things the GOP will not do

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Another thing we should do is take a cold, hard look at Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid.

Not to end the programs, but to make them sustainable. If we have to adjust retirement age, or contribution amounts, then lets figure it out and do it. I would expect that these kinds of adjustments have to be made depending on circumstances. But let's commit to the programs for the long term and figure out how to make it work.

Oh. And raise taxes too.