Look before you leap:SSD's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimbo1mcm, Aug 12, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

It's fun to have the fastest drive out there. It's not fun to deal with BSOD's, firmware issues and lockups. I got lucky by using a Samsung 470. I bought it because it was all in house, including the controller. It might pay to wait a little until things settle down. Good current perspective in the latest Anandtech article. Keep your clone backups handy if you get the latest, fastest and greatest.

2. whitehat09 macrumors newbie

I just bought my first ssd, a ocz agility 3. I did some research about the sad problems in the new MacBooks with the sandy bridge processors, I looked at the reviews, I picked the ones I liked. Originally I was going to go for a M4 or crucial because they are fast but not too expensive and also have a good tracy record compared to other ssd's. But I jumped on the ocz $30 rebate and took a risk on the agility 3. Before I installed it I upgraded to the latest firmware (2.11). It's been installed for 4 days now and 0 problems, I have read/write speeds of over 450MB/s.

4 days is hardly long enough to say theres no problems but just so you know there getting better and there are some success stories. But obviously I also encourage keeping backups of the sad.