Look what AT&T sent me!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sportcat, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Sportcat macrumors member

This is BS. You MADE me get unlimited data several years ago when I bought my 3G. Any idea how slow my data will be when I hit 5GB? By the way, I do NOT live in a metropolitan area. Just do a Google search for Anderson, SC.

Attached Files:

• data.png
      data.png
      File size:
      112.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not sure of the speed but it is VERY, VERY slow. Near dial up speeds with a old phone modem!

How did the MAKE you get the Unlimited plan?

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Welcome to AT&T's "unlimited" internet.

You can expect like .5-1mb speeds on LTE now I'd guess.

:apple:

4. uwdude macrumors 6502a

If I recall correctly, during the 3G days AT&T and unlimited were the only choices for an iPhone.

5. itjw macrumors 65816

.50 mbps (so slow, but not unusable, just slow...).

And no one is forcing you to keep it. If you don't want it, either change plans or sell the line on eBay (you'll get $250-400 for it, since even though it throttles at 5GB, it's still a "deal").

I routinely use 10-12GB a month getting throttled after 5GB.

You can stream low quality Netflix and Hulu, which is all I care about (have to have something to do while driving =)).

:p

6. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

It is veeeery slow, but still usable, nothing like Edge speeds...

Am I the only one disappointed with this thread? I was actually expecting something about being able to upgrade to the iPhone 6 before the contract was over or something like that! haha :p :rolleyes:

7. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

I've had issues with AT&T arbitrarily deciding I've gone over on my data and charging me overages even when I've been on WiFi in an office building without cell signal the whole time. I've started using iOS's built-in data usage tracker (not sure if it's in iOS 7 or just the 8 beta) to compare the two. Last month they wanted to charge me $15 for a second overage pack when there were only four hours left in my billing cycle.

Stupid games, AT&T.

8. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I also have unlimited AT&T and I get throttled every month. I use about 10-12GB monthly. I do think that it is ridiculous to be throttled to those speeds, you can't even watch YouTube without the video stopping to buffer.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Crapola. What are you folks doing to use that much? The wife & I share 2GB and rarely get close to using it all. With the proliferation of wifi, how can you use that much data?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It doesn't take much. A handful of YT videos, Facebook had (has?) a bug where it was using cellular data. It blew my quota 2 months in a row.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Really? I've just never come across that issue with Wifi at home, work, and in so many public places.

And to be clear, I'm not coming from the perspective of "I'm right/normal, and you're not," I just genuinely don't know how people are burning through 10-15GB's of data.

12. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

I'm at about 3.2GB in 6 days of my billing cycle. I've watched a few hours of YouTube (Protuber for higher quality videos) at work, Facebook, twitter, email, browsing internet; reddit, forums like this site etc, app updates, you know..the normal things I can use my phone for. I'm on WiFi as soon as I get home since it's much faster than my AT&T speeds, but I still use a crap ton of data.

The problem is, we're not burning through 10-15GB of data, we're getting throttled at 5GB if on LTE or 3GB on 3G/HSPA immediately which is rather easy to reach depending on your use. I'm close my limit already and I'm only 6 days in.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Basically, AT&T does not want you to use that much bandwidth. They consider it excessive and if everyone did the same it would greatly degrade the available bandwidth on the surrounding network.

Like it or not this is AT&T's unlimited plan. It is perfectly legal if you read the fine print of that contract you signed. They DO have the right to decide what is excessive!

If you want more, go to a different plan or be throttled.

This has been hashed over and over many times

14. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

To be honest I leave my wifi off 95% of the time. AT&T's LTE is incredibly fast in NY, and since I have unlimited data I don't have to worry about going over the any limits.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You are not the only one and it sure would help if you could turn on WiFi when it is available. I never turn my WiFi off and when I am at my office or house, the data is very fast!

16. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Do you use chrome browser or opera web browser? They have data compression modes that cut down on data usage, and based on your usage, every bit helps... This could be the difference between getting throttled 6 days in or 10 days in, etc. Could make a noticeable difference.

17. ALMF macrumors regular

I burn through about 5GB on my cell plan per month and over 300GB on my home internet package. I get notices from AT&T and Cox every month

18. itjw macrumors 65816

I stream Netflix/Amazon/Hulu to and from work, and in my car at lunch (I prefer not to eat with anyone but myself, especially with the setup in my car =)).

I also prefer to not use my company internet for personal business (unlike some fellow attorneys... ahem... lol).

I think my max has only been 15GB though. That's only limited because of my short commute however. I'm sure if I had a longer drive (or a longer lunch) I could easily clip 20, maybe even 25/30.

19. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Welcome to Macrumors.

This issue has been beat to death here for a few years now. Nothing new. I wish the title had been descriptive and I would have passed it by.

We had unlimited for years and finally switched to the new plan.

4 Iphones, 10gb across the group, and tethering on 2 ipads plus laptop when on the road. We do not get anywhere near the 10gb limit.

Oh yea, $160 per month plus tax. Total. Done.

20. itjw macrumors 65816

I also love how AT&T tries to rationalize switching to a limited plan by saying "if you only use 8GB on average you'd save....".

If I had full speed the entire month I have NO doubt I would hit well over 30GB. Instead I am limited in consumption. Don't tell me what I'd do if you took off the mandatory reigns lol.

And it is NOT about "network congestion". They are HAPPY to sell you another gig at full speed, and as long as you PAY for it, it has no effect on their struggles to keep up with demand.

But have unlimited? OMG. They can't handle it!!! It'll slow down everyone!

LMAO

21. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

It gets throttled back to almost completely unusable speeds, at least it did for me the one time I hit the 5GB cap on my unlimited data plan.
    It took almost a full 2 minutes to pull my GPS location on google maps on LTE when it is usually almost instant.

Oh and I know exactly where Anderson is. I'm originally from Iva:p

I've since jumped off of the unlimited data train and went with a 30GB shared plan.

22. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

I'm not bitching about what I'm paying for now..I'm just stating my usage. I get their reasoning, I don't like it but I deal with it. If I get throttled, I get throttled. I'm still going to use data when I want.

I for one will not give my unlimited data for their newer overpriced plans since it's more expensive for less data that my throttled unlimited data.

----------

Nope, just regular Safari. Doesn't help that I have a useragent faker as some mobile sites are terrible and prefer not to even see them lol.

23. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

At least that's still 10x as fast as T-Mobile throttling (0.05 Mbps).

24. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I do believe it is about network congestion, at least partially. If they did not throttle or charge extra, way more people would use their phone with heavy usage and WHAM, the network is overloaded.

Charging extra/throttling, etc becomes supply and demand.

25. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It's a little faster than edge, not as fast as 3G. It's usable for web surfing but everything else will be painful.