Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Nice little chart for the people out there that moan about apple not supporting there devices in current releases.

Hell I think we have it good looking at the alternatives!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 666

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Nice little chart for the people out there that moan about apple not supporting there devices in current releases.

I haven't seen people moaning about Apple not supporting their devices in current releases, actually it is quite the opposite. There are many who wish that Apple WOULDN'T (claim) support for devices....

Many people with iPhone4's wish that Apple didn't allow the upgrade to iOS 7.... first, because of the sluggishness for those that DID upgrade, second for the wasted 2 GB of space reserved for the update that will never be applied (for those who WON'T upgrade).

Note: Although iOS 7 image file takes up 600-700MB, iOS reserves 2GB of space for the process... and as long as the update is not applied that space is forever reserved for that.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Why would someone with a 3GS or a 4 even care about updates? They'll be missing out on all the exciting features anyways. They don't even have Siri. IMO ... Move on to a upgraded device or shut up. That goes for iPhone and Android users.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Why would someone with a 3GS or a 4 even care about updates? They'll be missing out on all the exciting features anyways. They don't even have Siri. IMO ... Move on to a upgraded device or shut up. That goes for iPhone and Android users.

Agree. I only just now upgraded an old iPhone 3G and 3Gs because both were having issues syncing to iTunes and I needed to reset them back to ground zero.

In the end, a cell phone over 3yrs old is likely slow and out dated anyway. Time to upgrade. That's like $5mo expense if you keep it 3 yrs anyway. Peanuts really.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
My $1000 iPad 1 was obsoleted in 2 years. Unacceptable.

I'm looking at Android now.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
As said above even though older Apple phones get updated to the latest iOS they never get the best new features. And Google updates their core apps independent of the OS which Apple do not, so in reality the "update longevity" is alot closer then that graph makes out.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
As said above even though older Apple phones get updated to the latest iOS they never get the best new features. And Google updates their core apps independent of the OS which Apple do not, so in reality the "update longevity" is alot closer then that graph makes out.

This is one area Apple completely owns Android in. Check out this graph. I think its kind of ridiculous that brand new Android devices are being launched with an old OS. Would be like a new iPhone coming with 6.1. 34% of Android devices are running jellyBean 4.1 which is a year and a half old and a shocking 24% are still on Gingerbread which is almost THREE years old :rolleyes: KitKat has been out for about 2 months and its still only on 1% of Android devices. This has been a major problem with Android for years and Google supposedly addressed it two years ago with some Android Alliance deal where manufacturers and carriers agreed to keep their devices up to date much faster. I guess everyone just forgot about that though, was just a dream.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/0...trong-at-54-5-kit-kat-on-only-1-1-of-devices/

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
That chart includes the 3GS but it's missing a lot of android devices from that era. Particularly HTC ones, which have the worst update record of all of them.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009

I think that this is a little misleading.

Whilst the 3GS did get updated to iOS6, the caveat was that it missed out on a load of features: 3D Flyover, turn-by-turn, panorama, offline reading, location-based reminders, WiFi hotspot, Airplay mirroring and Siri.

Since Google is breaking apart Android and putting components into the Play Store, when they choose to update Play Games, Maps or Google Now, you don't have to wait for or even have the latest OS installed on your device as you would if Apple updated Game Center or Siri.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Haha, I bet there'd be a rush on such a device. :p Many prefer iOS 6 and it's jailbreakable!

Apple should come out with an iPhone Classic edition and have it on iOS6. Maybe skimp on features iO7 and the 5S has, and make iOS6 exclusively open (like a file manger, set defaults, etc) for the Classic. :D

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Apple should come out with an iPhone Classic edition and have it on iOS6. Maybe skimp on features iO7 and the 5S has, and make iOS6 exclusively open (like a file manger, set defaults, etc) for the Classic. :D

Cool idea actually, should have done that with the 5c. There are already several file manager apps for the iPhone though. A new good one just came out too, forget the name though.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
My $1000 iPad 1 was obsoleted in 2 years. Unacceptable.

I'm looking at Android now.

Sir, please step into my office.

1000 dollars? Was it made of freaking gold?

Tech improved rapidly in those 2 years. Not much anyone could have done about it. I have one, and it sucks, and I wish it was faster, but it's not. and that's that.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

Tech improved rapidly in those 2 years. Not much anyone could have done about it. I have one, and it sucks, and I wish it was faster, but it's not. and that's that.

Likely the 64GB 3G model. We bought like 40 of them back in the day for our sales reps. IIRC they were like $900+

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Likely the 64GB 3G model. We bought like 40 of them back in the day for our sales reps. IIRC they were like $900+

We also don't know the country/currency; the current top-end iPad seems to be NZ$1399 (if "Air" is the best; I don't follow iPads but it appears to be the most expensive).

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Thanks for the link. I tried a couple of the free ones thus far (Documents by Readdle and FileManager) and I can get them to work, but as I feared they aren't true file managers. You can't actually look at the entire file system or download from the internet to the folder of your choosing. You have to download from an app to an app. I delete that app and the file disappears. In fact, if you download the file in one app (which supposedly saves to the downloads folder), you can't see it with another app looking at the same folder? WTF?

It works, don't get me wrong, but it is a really half-arsed solution. I still can't understand why it is so hard for Apple to allow users to use the directory on iOS? This would be completely unacceptable on any Mac!

----------

Don't really see the point of this? The question is, "So what?" Just because a phone doesn't get updated to the latest and greatest, does it stop working? Nope. That phone running Gingerbread yesterday is still chugging along running Gingerbread. Happy as can be. That iPhone 3GS running iOS5 didn't stop working when iOS7 came out, did it?

If you buy Android, you have a choice to buy a Nexus, an unlocked phone, a Google edition phone or a cheap piece of crap. If running the latest OS is important, buy the phone that has it and gets updated. If you want an iPhone with Touch ID and the latest and greatest OS, you don't buy an iPhone 4S or 5, you buy a 5S.

Choices. Love them. Don't hate others for choosing something you did't. ;)

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
This is one area Apple completely owns Android in. Check out this graph. I think its kind of ridiculous that brand new Android devices are being launched with an old OS. Would be like a new iPhone coming with 6.1. 34% of Android devices are running jellyBean 4.1 which is a year and a half old and a shocking 24% are still on Gingerbread which is almost THREE years old :rolleyes: KitKat has been out for about 2 months and its still only on 1% of Android devices. This has been a major problem with Android for years and Google supposedly addressed it two years ago with some Android Alliance deal where manufacturers and carriers agreed to keep their devices up to date much faster. I guess everyone just forgot about that though, was just a dream.

Apple has the advantage that it is just one single company that makes the OS and devices. The can control when the OS gets rolled out and make sure that it is available on all of their devices at pretty much the same time.

Android is made by Google and the phones are all made by a variety of other manufacturers. Also, the OS on many of these phones is a modified version of Android. Manufacturers take the OS code that is released by Google and then modify it and integrate it with their own custom code. The Nexus devices would be the first ones who would get the update. Then the code is released. Manufacturers then take the publicly released Android code and need to spend time modifying it and integrating their own software into it. It is unreasonable to expect that the moment Google releases the latest version of the OS that you would get it on a non-Nexus phone.

Different manufacturers would also have their own schedule for phones and updates. If Google releases a new version of the OS, it may be too far into the product cycle to dump the old version of the OS and use the new one.

Google did work with manufacturers to keep devices updated. However, no one is expecting immediate updates to the latest OS the moment Google releases it. Older devices are getting support and updates do eventually come to those devices.

Don't really see the point of this? The question is, "So what?" Just because a phone doesn't get updated to the latest and greatest, does it stop working? Nope. That phone running Gingerbread yesterday is still chugging along running Gingerbread. Happy as can be. That iPhone 3GS running iOS5 didn't stop working when iOS7 came out, did it?

If you buy Android, you have a choice to buy a Nexus, an unlocked phone, a Google edition phone or a cheap piece of crap. If running the latest OS is important, buy the phone that has it and gets updated. If you want an iPhone with Touch ID and the latest and greatest OS, you don't buy an iPhone 4S or 5, you buy a 5S.

Choices. Love them. Don't hate others for choosing something you did't. ;)

Some people just can't stand the fact that there is a new version of an OS that they don't have. It's like the existence of a new version suddenly makes their phone a PoS.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Android is made by Google and the phones are all made by a variety of other manufacturers. Also, the OS on many of these phones is a modified version of Android. Manufacturers take the OS code that is released by Google and then modify it and integrate it with their own custom code. The Nexus devices would be the first ones who would get the update. Then the code is released. Manufacturers then take the publicly released Android code and need to spend time modifying it and integrating their own software into it. It is unreasonable to expect that the moment Google releases the latest version of the OS that you would get it on a non-Nexus phone.

Different manufacturers would also have their own schedule for phones and updates. If Google releases a new version of the OS, it may be too far into the product cycle to dump the old version of the OS and use the new one.

Google did work with manufacturers to keep devices updated. However, no one is expecting immediate updates to the latest OS the moment Google releases it. Older devices are getting support and updates do eventually come to those devices.

Thats a tired excuse to be honest. Microsoft makes Windows while tons of other companies make the hardware, yet you can buy the new version of Windows and run it on any computer you have as long as its relatively new. Android updates should be no different. The difference is the greed between manufacturers and carriers. Manufacturers want to hold back new Android releases for their new flagships and force people to buy those and carriers want new releases held back too so they can make money off new contracts when you have to buy a new phone to get the new version of Android.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

In the UK the 64GB iPad WiFi model worked out to be $1025 so he might be from another country outside the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.