Looking at buying an iMac, need ideas for a couple of accessories.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GKDAIR, Jan 14, 2012.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

Ok so in a month or so (or depending on what the new iMacs will have) I will be purchasing the base model 27"

I already have a macbook air 2011 and I love it for its portability but I also need a home system. I picked iMac over a windows machine due to how much I loved my macbook air. It will be the first desktop I have ever owned. I plan to keep it around for quite a number of years.

Anyway, what are some accessories you could recommend to me?

I want a external drive to play blu rays, does one exist?

Also I want external (preferably wireless) speakers, for around $200 ish.

Any other accessories you see me needing?

2. TjeuV macrumors 6502

I can't give you a link to a blu-ray player right now but I know they exist and cost about 130-150$ or so.

There's speakers with airplay compability but it's not hard to hide the wires a bit, personally I have the soundsticks II and I'm very pleased with them.

I don't think you need any other accessories unless you're a musician or so

3. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

USB drive for time machine, if you don't have one (or not big enough.)

Bottle of iKlear or similar screen/computer cleaner with microfiber cloth.

Bluetooth or wired headphones/headset (for when you don't want to disturb others, or more private FaceTime calls.)

Printer that will directly print on cd/DVD, if you make lots of movies/music discs. (I think there is even an AirPrint version if you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch.)

Rechargeable AA batteries for magic pad/mouse and keyboard (although the life of these on a set of batteries is pretty good)

4. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

There are a few threads on the Mac Mini forum section about USB Blu-ray drives. Most people use the BR drive to rip the movie to hard drive and then watch it using a program like VLC.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1267997&highlight=drive
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1231082

Apparently watching the BR movie direct from disc requires OS changes that Apple doesn't want to do (unfortunate since iMacs have excellent displays that would be great with BR and 1080P movies).