Looking at getting a PM G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Azmordean, Mar 23, 2004.

  1. Azmordean macrumors 6502

    Mar 10, 2004
    Silicon Valley
    Ok all, I'm currently a PC user looking at getting a PM G5 (not really a "switcher," as I plan to use both... I'm just a big time technology buff :)). I don't really need dual processors. Thus, looking at the Apple store, I find the single 1.8 Ghz refurbs they have on sale for 1599 right now VERY tempting. The only thing holding me back is all the rumors of new PMs being released soon. My thoughts are either A) Ill get a rev. B or B) the rev. As will become even cheaper. My worry is that the refurbs will disappear and I'll be stuck paying more, or worse, being unable to afford one at all (if for example, the rev Bs are an all dual lineup and the prices start at say 2199).

    So, wait, or buy now? Any advice?
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

    Jul 9, 2003
    if you can wait
    even if the refurbs disappear the price they sell for on ebay will decrease so you'll pay less

  3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

    Jan 5, 2004
    Chicago (by way of SF)
    If you don't want a dual, then grab one of the 1.8 singles as soon as you like the price. I wouldn't recommend waiting because there is a very good chance that the new machines will be all dual. That would mean that the 1.8 would still be your only choice -- and they may be sold out by then.

    If you don't need a dual, then the 1.8 GHz machine will do all you need. Having said that, the G5 really shines as a dual machine loaded with RAM. Its built for video and graphics work (not to mention audio). If you are not doing this level of work then you can buy a single G5 now, or wait til the iMacs come out with a G5 -- anybody's guess when that will be, though.
  4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816


    Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    Hey, Numedian. On a completely different note. Do you believe that powermac updates will be on the 30th? I know that you've been saying that updates will occur in March all along. Maybe you will be correct?
  5. tsk macrumors 6502a


    Jan 14, 2004
    I'm guessing they'd all be duals as well but I'm kind of assuming that the lowest G5 will be priced the same as the current lowest G5.

    Also, if you don't need this right now which it doesn't sound like you do, I wouldn't worry about missing out. Honestly, aside from a little hiccup, it's not like computer prices ever really go up. You might have to wait a bit to find another refurb but I suspect it will not be a huge deal.

    Just my opinion.
  6. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I really do think it will be the 30th, and that's not just wishful thinking. A lot of promotions end just days before...

    I would wait, as we're down to 6 days. If all of the new ones are too expensive (I think they will be the same price as the current lineup) you will be able to find a single 1.8 somewhere, from apple or otherwise.
  7. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 19, 2004
    Northeast, CT
    I plan on waiting as i have waited this long already, why not 6 days won't kill me. This rev should be better as Apple should have the problems worked out. Just hope we get a little more than speed bumps.
  8. pbailey macrumors newbie


    Jun 18, 2002
    It all depends if you can afford to wait.

    I received my refurb single 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 one week ago today. I also had a reseller employee purchase discount that expires on March 27, 2004 so I had to make up my mind. I'm really enjoying the G5. I just need to increase the memory to 1.5GB of RAM and I'll be set.

Share This Page