looking at macbook pro retinas, they seem to have alot of problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have been looking at the macbook pro retinas, and the specs look good, I watched some youtube videos about them, & they are fast, but all the problems with fans and screen burn in i have read about make me nervous, it seems the ones with LG screens have this problem more than the ones with Samsung screens, if I got one, how can I be sure I am getting one with a better Samsung screen?

I am considering upgrading from my mid 2010 macbook pro, for better speed, flash drive, & newer modern ports. I would probably try to sell my 2010 on ebay, it has apple care until June 2013.

I would be using the laptop for a variety of things; photography, word processing, web browsing, maybe some video. I am also taking online classes.

I like taking my laptop out on my patio to work on nice clear days, so I can enjoy the weather. That is why a flash internal drive appealed to me for better durability, my 2010 has a mechanical drive.

2. jmdMac macrumors regular

You can't, luck of the draw. Although I have heard you have a better chance of getting a samsung screen if you buy a refurb.

If that is all you use your computer for then your 2010 mbp can do them equally well.

Put in an SSD, as I have in my 2010 mbp. Also you have the option of putting an extra storage HDD in the optibay because let's be honest, how often do you use the CD drive?

I would honestly recommend sticking with your 2010 and upgrading to an SSD and 8GB RAM if you already haven't. I say this not because of "all the problems" as you stated(which I believe are no worse than any previous models), but because with $300 of upgrades your mbp will feel like new and you can save for a future generation rMBP.

Good luck

3. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

4. ianwuk macrumors regular

Even better, if mid-2010 (13 inch) MBP upgrade the RAM to 16GB! Mine works great.

5. jmdMac macrumors regular

From the uses the OP listed, he would not benefit at all from going from 8GB to 16GB RAM. You need to be doing some serious multi-tasking and/or running VM's to need 16GB. It would be like throwing money away.

Also, do the 2010 mbp's even support 16GB RAM??

6. JasonDawg18 macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

Just got a new 2.8ghz, 16 GB RAM, 768 SSD rMPB and I've had none of the issues that everyone has complained of. I've had quite a few Mac laptops, and this one BLOWS THEM AWAY!

Do whatever is right for you, but my 2-cents is that my new MBP is perfect - no issues whatsoever.

7. JPizzzle macrumors 6502

Mine (Exact same build) should also be coming this week! Out of curiosity did yours end up being samsung or LG?

8. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all for the replies, I forgot to metion I will be running virtual machines; parallels desktop with windows.

I would also be running photoshop cs5 & 6.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I bought the 2.7/16/512 model a week ago and I got the Samsung display and Sandisk SSD. The display is phenomenal and performance is excellent. Nothing wrong with anything. I'm not going to do any special tests for IR. if I don't see anything abnormal in daily use, there's nothing wrong with it.

----------

I run Parallels with Win7, CentOS and Win8 and it performs very well under load.

10. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Keep in mind that when you are researching something on a forum, 99% of the threads on there will be about people complaining about something. Rarely do people post up about how great the product is, or that it just works properly. Nobody makes a thread titled "Just bought a rMBP, it's works fine" because that is what we expect it to do.

So it's not like the bad threads outweigh the good on forums like this, it's just that no one "complains" about their product working the right way.

As for the computer itself, I picked up one of the new 2013 rMBP's last month, love it. It's a little slow waking up from sleep, but then again, so am I, lol.

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

How slow? If it seems too long (5-10 seconds +) you could try an SMC reset.

12. Kasalic macrumors regular

If you are running VM's then as much memory as possible would be a good idea.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If I believed everything I read on the internet I'd never buy anything. YMMV.

14. Radiating macrumors 65816

The information you are receiving is complete nonsense. The Retina MacBook Pro has far less problems than nearly any other computer you can buy from any other manufacturer.

I've personally owned the following 15" rMBP's:

A launch day 15" 2012 rMBP with an LG screen
    An end of production 15" rMBP with LG screen
    An end of production 15" rMBP with Samsung Screen

A Launch day 15" 2013 rMBP with an LG Screen
    An rMBP from last week with an LG Screen
    An rMBP from last week with a Samsung Screen.

Only one had a problem, and that was the launch day LG Screen model due to excessive burn in. However I got that laptop from a co-worker who NEVER once noticed the problem in 4 months.

Apple revised the design 2 months after launch and Retina laptops are now shipping with Reivision 2 LG screens. In fact the revised LG screens are actually better than the Samsung screens (slightly) when compared back to back using a color spetromiter.

I have nevery had any other issues in 5 other Retina's I've owned and the first retina was flawless besides that.

I also know several retina owners and none have ever reported any issues whatsoever.

15. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

If I believed everything the salesman said, I'd never buy anything and then I'd be blamed for wrecking the economy because I never spent.

Yes, some people on the internet are going to spin or fib, for whatever reason. They may as well BE salesmen, since salesmen do the same things - for self-interest. Granted, salesmen are in it for the self-interest of money, and the spinners are in it out of the self-interest of some emotionally-charged belief or whatever else... it's harder to get the truth from a rabble than it is to get it from a figurehead...

Others, however, are quite sincere. And if a common thread can be found amongst user complaints, with enough detail information underneath, I'm bound to listen. Especially in the technology arena where most people honestly don't care about the "how"...

16. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

It's hit and miss. Sometimes it wakes up instantly, sometimes its around 10-15 seconds. An SMC reset wouldn't hurt, but I did a number of those right after I got it due to some minor issues with audio.

The audio "issue" was the only thing so far I've had with this thing, but it turns out it wasn't a problem at all, just a setting changed on it's own and I had no idea why. Some weird audio setting installed on my rMBP, Sunflower, and I don't know how it got there.

17. MACelmore macrumors regular

"You can believe everything you read on the internet!"

"Where'd you hear that?"

"The internet."

Anyway, OP you have to consider that not many people post on forums about how in-love they are with their electronics. Forums like this exist for people to solve problems with people who own machines similar to theirs. It's meant for complaining.

I love my rMBP. Perhaps I have a Samsung panel. I don't know. What I do know is I spent countless hours watching videos and reading posts before I made the purchase. I was just as confused afterwards as I was before.

Take the plunge. Buy the machine with the specs that fit what you need (sounds like 16GB would be recommended if you're running multiple machines). If all else fails, Apple gives you about two weeks to change your mind.

Good luck!

18. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Equally many Retina owners have had no issue at all including my own Retina MBP, and i rather believe this applies to the majority of owners. Unfortunately you have had problem, however this does not apply to every Retina MBP released.

One the things with forums in general is people mostly come to solve issue, in some case complain, and a minority just to whine about hardware they have little or no experience with, barring ten minutes hands on at "BestBuy" which is clearly the case with some posts across the board. This is the very nature of forums, on the polls here 80% - 90% are satisfied with Retina MBP, it`s the same every time Apple release a major revision; You can perform the same Google search for any given year the MBP has been in production and come up with a myriad of negative results;

2012 Macbook Pro issues

2011 MacBook Pro issues

2010 MacBook Pro issues

2009 MacBook Pro issues

2008 MacBook Pro Issues

2007 MacBook Pro issues

2006 MacBook Pro issues

So employing this logic, one should never buy a Mac " on forums such as MacRumors, those with issue, those that believe they have been aggrieved and the "Haters" will always generate the most traffic for nothing more than their own personal motives. My own Retina has no issue: it runs significantly cooler than my Late 2011 2.4 i7 15" MBP sat right next to it on the same desk, no loss in frame rate, no throttling at all.

What I do see as a loose observation year after year is that those who don't actually own the latest release tend to make the most noise, more so than ever this year with Retina. Apple`s hardware is not perfect, equally it`s not the tragedy that some paint it out to be year on year. If you don't like what Apple produces don't buy it, if you have genuine issue speak with Apple directly, it`s no more complex than that, never has been...

19. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Buy, return, buy return. Only true way. Thats how i did it back in the summer for a Sammy

20. maxosx macrumors 68020

Unless you absolutely, positively must have it now, by all means wait for the second generation.

Apple is well known for doing an incredibly great job of sorting out & eliminating the issues inherent in the original model.

I have the first hand experience, therefore I'm very eager for Apples Gen 2 MBPr. I'll be online & pre-ordering the moment they're released.

21. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i bought a 2013 15" retina with apple care and its been perfect, no problems whatsoever. i was slightly worried about taking the plunge myself, especially considering the hefty price, and after reading about the problems others were having. boy am i glad i bought one. i absolutely love it. i normally upgrade to a new macbook pro every year....have been for about 10 years, and i must say that this retina is the best macbook pro i have owned yet...my favorite. its really incredible in all aspects...i'm very, very happy and content with my purchase. get a 2013 model and be done with it. i'm pretty sure you won't regret it.

22. Robster3 macrumors 68000

2013 Model is a rev 2 version if you ask me, the next model come end of year will be the new model. But then i am no expert, i am using a 2012 refurb till my 2103 one arrives.

Only problem i have with it is getting it back off my 10 year old?

23. Mr.Outside macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

What are the specs on your Pro? I have a mid-2010 with a 2.4 and I thought 8GB was as high as you could go.

24. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I have bought 2 so far in the last 3 months. One for me (in my sig) and one for my wife. We have not had a single problem......

----------

Man you have a looooong wait......

25. utekineir macrumors 6502