Looking at new 13" MacBook Pro but wont a 500GB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reao, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Reao macrumors member

So Im looking to get a new 13" macbook pro to replaces my old macbook pro, but I really l like having the 500GB hard drive in it. When talking to an online apple sales lady she said I can not upgrade the hard drive in there my self. So I'm wondering if I upgrade the hard drive in there my self do I loose apple care?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

She is incorrect. Hard drive and ram are considered to be user upgrades. They don't violate Apple Care.

3. Reao thread starter macrumors member

Thats what I thought but she wonted to argue with me and well there is no point in getting in an argument with her. :p

Also I'm guessing it will but will this affect my apple care? http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Apple even has documentation on their website about how to do it:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MBPRO_13inch_Mid2009_Hard_Drive_DIY.pdf

I just put a 500 in mine yesterday. Seagate momentus 7200 RPM. Working great so far, and my snow leopard "upgrade disk" was all I needed for the fresh OS install. No need to put leopard on first.

Sometimes the people at apple stores are truly morons. There are usually a few diamonds in the rough, however.

5. Reao thread starter macrumors member

Nice, I put a WD 5400 500GB in my the macbook pro I have now but its bin out of apple care for a long time.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Magnuson-Moss warranty act: Any modification whatsoever to the machine will not void warranty unless it can be clearly proven beyond doubt that the modification caused failure to the part needing warranty work.

You could do anything you like to the computer, so long as you don't break anything or cause anything to break, your warranty is still good, it's the law.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, that won't void warranty either.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Opti-Bay voids your warranty. You can always put the SuperDrive again, but leaving it in there will cause problems.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

It can't/won't make your machine fail, therefore it can't technically void your warranty.

10. heliuscc macrumors member

11. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Just make sure you don't break anything while your in there!

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...no. Not unless you want to hire a lawyer, it modifies the machine to make certain things inoperable, i.e. your SuperDrive.

13. Reao thread starter macrumors member

Well if I put in the Opti-bay and something brakes down the line can I put my superdrive back in.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

What others neglected to mention is while your warranty on the computer is not void when installing your own hard drive, the installed stuff is not covered under your Applecare. If you have problems with your own installed ram or hard drive your Applecare will not cover them, you will have to deal with the place you bought the devices from.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes. I don't think they would be able to tell you removed it.