Looking at rMBP 13" 2.6/8GB/512GB How are they

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

anyone have this model and I am looking to basically do some photo work and some light video editing, which I know this will handle.

I was going to go for the 13" MBP with 2.9/8GB/750GB but I would much rather have the nice screen on the rMBP 13

Anyone decide to go for the 15" rMBP over the 13? Why?

2. gametime10 macrumors regular

Definitely go for this one over the non-retina. You're not only getting a better display but the SSD also, and Haswell.

As far as whether or not to get the 15", the issue is portability vs. graphics & price. If you play games, you should probably get the 15, though the 13 is not bad either.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well that question onky you can answer. If you woukd not be doing much video editing or alot of photos then 13inch is good. But if you wish to play games, and have heavy photo editing needs then you can benefit from the 15"

4. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I recently got the 16GB version of this and so far I must say its been great even though I've only had it about a week. The extra ram might be worth considering as well since you can't upgrade later. That's one of the reason I chose to go for the upgrade plus in the long run the extra cost is miniscule.

Sort of wonder if I should have gone 15" as I plan to game a little with it. Mostly l4d and probably Sims 4 once its released. The biggest downside is the GPU in the 13" from what I'm aware of. Unfortunately I didn't have another $500 to shell out and I couldn't wait for the broadwell update :/

5. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

I just got that one. I was gonna test it out for a week and if the gpu wasn't good return it and get the baseline 15". It works great for what I need it for. It'll import 20 gig files into final cut x within 60 seconds, and they render out just as fast (my old 09 model would take 30 mins to import and would lag to much to edit while importing). Fans are quit too. My old one sounded like a commercial airliner when I would render out files.
    I'm gonna keep this model it does everything I need and the portability of taken it to classes is nice.

The hardware should do everything you need it to. I installed skyrim on it to test it out and it ran pretty smooth. Just depends if you want a bigger screen or not. I got the $1500 model not the highest specced one that you mentioned.

6. 5to1 macrumors regular

Also have the same but with 16GB for a few weeks now. Extremely happy with it so far. Great battery life, great screen and handles everything I've thrown at it without a hiccup. I tend to run mine at 1680x1050 min, going to WUXGA or native quite often aswell and don't notice any issues.

I dont intend to game on it, I have consoles for gaming at home and iPAD/iPhone for gaming on the move. My PC gaming days are pretty much behind me, just way too much hassle. I'd rather have the reliability, portability, better battery life over dGPU and the bigger 15". Its only the extra pixels offered by the 15" that would ever tempt me, but the 13" really hits the sweet spot for my usage right now.

7. laomao macrumors member

get the rMBP with 16G memory is the way to go.
    rMBP rocks.

8. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I was very impressed myself with the fact that it took about 30 minutes to compress a 300GB disk image on an external drive compared to the 8+ hours my 2006 macbook took. Its a define keeper :D

Well that is as long as IR doesn't rear its ugly head during the return period. Slightly concerned about that as the display is an A20 version. It seems like there's been a couple more reports based on macrumors of IR developing over the A18 panels. Ironic because A20 is possibly a later version of the same display panel by LG. So far so good though * nocks on wood*

The one thing with gaming I noticed already that in l4d 2 you can't enable anti aliasing as the GPU gets extremely choppy. This is with the retina disabled and external 1080p monitor in its place btw.

Speaking of which, I too prefer the 13" for portability and use an 24" Samsung External LCD when home. Don't see the need for 15" size bump.