Looking back on people who panned the iPad as a "giant iPod Touch..."

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vvswarup, Jun 29, 2011.

1. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

When the first iPad came out, people panned the iPad for being a "giant iPod Touch." Motorola even mentioned this in its Xoom advertisement.

People ought to take a look at the TouchPad from HP. The UI looks almost exactly the same as that of WebOS phones. I have yet to see a comment that dismisses the TouchPad as a "blown-up WebOS phone." Personally, I don't have a problem with that, because the very thing that people ridicule about the iPad is in fact one of its greatest strengths.

2. radiogoober, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2011

radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Honestly, it's probably because no one expects anything great, or really cares about anything that HP makes. I could care less to even look at one of HP's devices.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Filed under: who cares?
    Really, why does it matter?

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Probably because we now know better. Right?

5. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I think people stopped calling it that a while ago after it begin to sell like crazy. I was like that when it was first announced, but now I realize what a wonderful tool it is.

6. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

It *is* a giant iPod Touch, and that's why it's really, really awesome.

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Hey, HP's TouchPad is just a giant WebOS phone without the phone part! (said in a dismissive tone).

There. Satisfied?

8. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I own both, and I would have to say it IS a giant iPod touch. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

9. MassacrMan macrumors member

Funny you dismiss HP products as something "no one expects anything great [of], or really cares about anything that [they] make."

I work at HP in a lab and daily do maintenance on server racks and servers themselves, every single one is durable and fantastic products. I can also say the same about their laptops. Sure these are our opinions, but maybe you should have a little more validity to your argument before you say such crude things.

10. taipan61 macrumors 6502

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I like HP printers and have used them for years. Wouldn't buy anything computer related from them though. Nothing but bad experiences with their desktops.

12. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

HP is horrible. Their mobile devices are crap and I wouldn't let my worst enemy use a HP computer. Stick to printers. I hope you keep your C.V. current.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I think it's partly because the WebOS homepage UI scales up nicely to tablet sized screens, taking full advantage of the extra space to manage multitasking.

The iPad simply put a few more icons on the homescreen. Heck, it even kept the old Home button in the same bezel spot. It really does looks like a giant iPhone. Which is one reason why it sells so well, so that's okay.

14. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I still call it a giant iPod Touch but that's why I love it. It's everything I enjoy in Apple's smaller iOS devices in a much larger package.

15. WilliamG macrumors G3

Yep, I love the iPad, but it's still a giant iPod touch, which is why it works so well.

16. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

WebOS is second to iOS hands down. It murders Android. Hp just doesn't have the Ecosystem and and the loyalty from consumers that Apple has methodically built.

If webOS were to ever get the developer community to start dedicating their time(which right now seems somewhere near impossible when competing with the time they give to iOS) they would put Android to sleep.

17. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Pretty much.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The "I Told You So" threads are getting old in the world of Apple products. I just uses the comments of the naysayers to help weed out those on here who lack an open mind and vision for the future.

19. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I don't dispute that you are working with good equipment. But I don't think you can lump everything together. Pro and consumer are two different lines. The consumer level laptops haven't distinguished themselves in reliability or customer service surveys.

20. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. And to be brutally honest it is just a blown up iPad. However I don't see that as a negative. I love iOS. And having it on the bigger screen is perfect for my needs.

21. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Soooo, uh , you know anything about the pre3?

22. MassacrMan macrumors member

Maybe I do, maybe I don't. ;)

23. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

keep up the good work! HP makes my favorite pc! I love the touch screen all in ones (hint-hint apple) and the laptops are really nice too
    !

24. sineplex macrumors 6502

All they will get is ports like android and windows 7. Angry birds comes to mind.

25. SethKOne macrumors member