Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcs37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
I searched around this forum and found no shortage of postings listing dozens of websites with sleeves and cases that will house my 12" PowerBook, but they all seemed a bit overhaul for my purpose, and furthermore I had no user recommendations.

What I am looking for is a discreet (very important: no apple logo or anything) black sleeve that is thin enough to hold my PowerBook but thick enough to protect it against pressure. I am going on a roadtrip across the US next week and then I'm doing a Eurotrip after that, but I want to bring along my new friend here, and I don't want him getting banged up in my backpack. So can anyone recommend a simple, cheap (like < $30), black, thin, but very reliable sleeve that I can lay my new laptop into for protection? Somewhat water resistant would be a HUGE plus. But it does need to be thin enough so I can toss it into a satchel/carrier bag or whatever they are called. And if there's a compartment for the power supply, that would rule.

Thanks everyone!

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
You know that'll look like a purse, right?

I bought one and I couldn't leave the house with it because it was so "discreet"--people would know there's something expensive in there, even if they didn't know exactly what it was.

They'll know it's a laptop (or that you like guys) unless a brief-case lookin thing, like this:
http://www.willowdesign.com/SC-38.html

I just found that randomly, do your own research! :)

[EDIT: I just read that you wanted to put it inside a backpack, ignore this post!]

mcs37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
slughead said:
You know that'll look like a purse, right?

Ha, yeah I recognize the carrier cases are like male purses, but when I travel in Europe I really, really hate having to lug a huge backpack or even smaller backpack during the day when all I need is the essential documents like passport

Kant: thanks for the link. That looked more what I was aiming for (although there was no room for the power cord). I liked the high-resistance polyurethane casing and the $30 price tag. I'll research that one and check out what Staples, etc. places have to offer.

Apple had some in their stores but were all really expensive (like $60+) when I know for a fact the exact same type of sleeve could be purchased for half that in a regular office supply store.

And I'll also wait to see if anyone else posts replies to this thread with more tips. :)

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I'm going to Recommend what I use: Tucano Second Skin. I think it meets the criteria of what you want (small, thin, but still protective).

I love my sleeve and it is very well designed.

There is only one smal problem: It can be hard to find in the states. I foound mine through a small company in Ohio, Royal Business, but the day after i ordered it they stopped listing all tucano products (but I still got mine and there selling them again). I know Outpost.com carries the sleeves and another place somewhere in Yahoo's shopping site (found it: Erwin Computers)

If you can wait, they sell Tucan second skins almost everywhere in Europe.

In case you want a second skin the model number you want is BFS12G4 and the prices range (where I found them) from $15 to $25.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Exactly what you're looking for: Tom Bihn Brain Cell

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/_all/TB0300

A little more $$$ but this thing is brilliant. It is padded in the inside but it has a hard shell on the outside. You could fling this into a backpack and carry it around all day without worrying about damaging your laptop.

I also have the Empire Builder laptop bag and the brain cell clicks into it (suspended) so if i dropped it, the bag would absorb most of the impact. Not what you are looking for but there is also a backpack on that site that has the same thing.

Powerbook G4 12" is size 5 btw. I was just checking the site to make sure the 12" fitted :rolleyes:

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
I know this is a little difficult to answer for the most case owners, but here goes...
Which is better ZeroShock or Tucano Second Skin? Is ZeroShock too thick?
I have a backpack made for notebooks and all I want is a slim cover for it, but if ZeroShock isn't that much thicker I would rather have the extra protection.

BTW here's the direct link to the Tucano Second Skin
http://www.erwincomputers.com/tucano.html

mcs37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
I've come down to a choice between three sleeve models:

1) Tucano Second Skin
2) Marware Sharkskin
3) Shinza ZeroShock

They are all under $30 and appear to satisfy my criteria, except for one: do any of them have room for the power cable? From what I've seen, no, but I'm really tired right now so my reading comprehension abilities are weak at the moment.

I would like to order one ASAP and have it by Friday, so any last recommendations people? My main criteria are that it is thin but strong enough to support my 12" PB inside my backpack. I don't think I'll be throwing it around a lot but there should be some shock from walking or jumping perhaps.

Tucano looks cool and is somewhat water-resistant, so that's great in case water ever found its way into my pack. I've used Marware before for my iPod and it was nice. I know nothing of Shinza but the description is nice.

Ugg, such a hard decision! So important and so little time (hoping to order tonight and rush the order).

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i use a Crumpler School Hymn for my 15". i was gonna get the Tucano just for kicks, but backed off immediately once i say that the shipping cost is twice that of the sleeve itself. :eek:

i should find another store, maybe. too bad most local stores only sell marwares. the Second Skin looks very nice, and opens wider than the Marwares.

mcs37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Tucano Second Skin

SolidGun said:
Does the gray Tucano Second Skin get dirty fairly easy?

I'd like to know that also while we're at it. How well does it protect the powerbook from scratches?

I am seriously leaning towards the Tucano right now. Marware is nice but something about the design of the Tucano is appealing. The Marware iPod I own now is a good shield but not the most elegant design.

From what I've heard though, any luck at getting my power cable and charger into the unit is gone. But hey, that was a bonus criterion.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I have the gray tucano and while I've only had it for 2 weeks it is still very clean. The weaving of the fabric is very tight so nothing really soaks into the material.

as for protection from scratches: haven't gotten one yet on my new PB with the skin. I would not think of carrying my laptop without it in the skin.

Here is a good way to put it: if you don't have you PB in the skin then dropping it would be like dropping an egg on a hardwood floor. Whereas, if your PB is in a second skin then it is like dropping an egg wrapt in bubble wrap on carpet: a BIG difference. (ok a little exaggerated)

If you get the Tucano then you won't be dissappointed. I'm sure not.

And no the skin is not made to hold the power charger.

kerb

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Lancashire UK
but seeing as it's designed as a sleeve for the PB to go in a backpack you can keep the power supply there.

I saw one today at the apple reseller and I was impressed. Sleek and practical.

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
i just ordered a glove for my 17inch from standardmt.com.au they are really sleek and discrete, more or less

-adel

mcs37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
OK I'm choosing between Marware and Tucano. If I can get the Tucano by Thursday evening or Friday morning, I'll go for it. The only problem is I don't want to pay double the cost of the sleeve to get it. :)

Champale

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2004
Chicago, USA
FYI re: shinza

I sympathize with your dilemma. I'm torn between the Shinza Zeroshock or the Tucano.

However, Shinza is out of stock on 15" sleeves until mid-Sept. Since you have a 12" that might not be a problem but for me, it's a bummer.

If I had my druthers I'd choose the Shinza but the Tucano is definitely a close second. No real reason. Maybe I just like the Shinza website. It's clean = )

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
I ordered the ZeroShock from Shinza. I debated for a while and reading the comments did help, but in the end I chose the ZeroShock for the extra protection. You never know what is going to hit your backpack and think the extra $10 is worth the relief. Thx all and hope you get your case mcs37.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
I have got the PERFECT bag for you!

The GAP laptop bag. Yes, Gap like the trendy preppy clothing store. They make a really nice, simple, and small laptop bag that's a perfect fit for a 12" PB, and the best part, it's only $19.50!

EDIT: It has a big pocket that can easily hold your power adapter, and a few other small things. It's fate!!

mcs37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
KevRC4130 said:
The GAP laptop bag. Yes, Gap like the trendy preppy clothing store. They make a really nice, simple, and small laptop bag that's a perfect fit for a 12" PB, and the best part, it's only $19.50!

So I guess this was a joke since I didn't find it in my searches.

I went for the Tucano second skin, purchased for $18.31 after shipping from d-compute.com. I ordered the blue one but I got the silver one. Whatever, I'm glad that I have a skin. The Tucano is fine for my purposes, but in hindsight I think more padding would have been a good thing as well. Fortunately, the PB is a pretty solid machine so I don't expect it to wear too easily. I am happy with my Tucano Second Skin, although I wish they sent me my blue one as per my order!

bobpensik

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Calgary, AB
mcs37 said:
So I guess this was a joke since I didn't find it in my searches.

I went for the Tucano second skin, purchased for $18.31 after shipping from d-compute.com. I ordered the blue one but I got the silver one. Whatever, I'm glad that I have a skin. The Tucano is fine for my purposes, but in hindsight I think more padding would have been a good thing as well. Fortunately, the PB is a pretty solid machine so I don't expect it to wear too easily. I am happy with my Tucano Second Skin, although I wish they sent me my blue one as per my order!

I don't think that there is a blue one, there is silver and black!

I also ordered one from d-computer and i insisted on the black one. I ordered it on the 30th of August and apparently the black is still not in stock! i could have a long wait ahead of me!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.