Looking for a download monitoring thingamajig

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBook-Gal, Feb 14, 2008.

1. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

Lol...Does such a thing even exist? I am looking for a widget, or an application, or something that will show how many MBs I download each day. I don't need it to show any info about what I download, just how much as far as the file size. My internet has a 200mb per day download limit, and I want to make sure that I don't overdownload while watching streaming videos, and listening to internet radio.

Thanks for any suggestions!:)

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If it's via Safari, you could just look at the "Downloads" box and see the totals.

3. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

I am using Safari. I guess what I meant is that I want something that shows the amount of download bandwidth used when viewing streaming online videos and websites with large image files. I don't think that they show up in the download box, because it's not actually saving them onto my computer, but they are still counted as a part of my 200 mb download limit.

4. mediaguru macrumors regular

iSlayer's iStat Network widget (and the iStat Pro widget) will display overall bandwidth usage, but I'm not sure how often it resets its counters.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You can open up an activity window in Safari, and you'll see the sizes of various files. Videos and such will be clearly displayed as they will be larger and will have subfiles beneath them.

Out of curiosity, why is your limit just 200MB/day? :confused:

6. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

This might help

http://freespace.virgin.net/jeremy.dronfield/skoobysoft/utilities/utilities.html

I just googled it and didnt really look too hard at this app. Seems to do what you want.

Cheers

7. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much for the help, guys! I will check those links out.

I have a download limit because I am using Hughesnet satellite. It is sometimes very slow and has it's downfalls, but it definitely beats the other alternitive of slooooow dial-up. I live in a rural area where DSL and cable is not available and probably won't be for years to come......waaaaah......Don't you people with cable and DSL connections feel sorry for me!:eek: