Looking for a good External monitor for my 15'' MBP. Budget: $300ish. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, May 27, 2011.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have the Late 2008, 2.4GHz, unibody Macbook Pro. I'm getting an apartment in college soon, and I'm looking to get an external monitor. I'm an engineer so I do video and image processing and occasional photo editing, but what I do a LOT is watch HD (BluRay, 720p, 1080p, etc) movies and TV shows, and I like to watch them on a bigger screen (22'' and above). Also, I'm looking at the IPS displays, not the TN ones.

Ideally the Apple Cinema Display is what I would want. I LOVE the glossy screen and it looks so nice; but since I am a college student, the most I have saved up right now is $300ish (the cheaper the monitor the better).

Can I get an external monitor in my price range that will fit my needs?

Thanks for the help, and feel free to recommend me stuff you guys have. Links and pictures are always good!

Thanks all! :)

2. Blipp macrumors 6502

Dell U2311H is the best display for the money if you ask me. Though smaller it's picture looks every bit as fantastic as an ACD and without the glossy panel. It's listed as $319 now but it often goes on sale, I bought mine and my girlfriend's from Dell for $229.

3. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I have the same monitor and I highly recommend it also. IPS panel and the monitor stand are excellent its a bargain for the $.

4. jcasix macrumors newbie

Any problems with blurry fonts or anything? I've had problems like that with Mac's and external monitors that haven't been cinema displays.

Thanks for the feedback.

5. selvage macrumors member

i agree with everyone else. i have the same monitor and for the price (on sale) it cant be beat. i also used ebates.com to get some cash back..on top of my credit card's cash back program too.

6. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

I was also considering the Dell UltraSharp U2311H. I don't like glossy screens, though, so can anyone tell me how "matte" this display is? Is it comparable to the anti-glare display on the current macbook pros?

I'm wondering what they mean by hard coat.

7. Blipp macrumors 6502

No blurry fonts whatsoever.

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

that dell is really nice. I'm thinking about picking up an external and I've seen those dell ones go on sale with coupons. Curious, how does the USB ports on the monitor work? Does it act as a hub where you have a usb plug from the MBP to the monitor and then that connects any usb devices plugged into the monitor for use on the MBP?

9. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Any good glossy monitors like the ACD? The wife likes the glossy look. :confused:

10. medi.freak macrumors regular

I have also kinda looking for an external monitor to buy when my macbook pro gets here next month. the Dell looks quite nice[/URL] and in Germany it is only 204€ on Amazon. What do you think of the Acer? I like the design of it...

11. Blipp macrumors 6502

12. vader1990, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the inputs so far guys. I like the Dell that you all have mentioned.

Just a quick question: I'm mostly getting this to watch 1080p movies, do I absolutely need a IPS display? Doesn't a standard display do the job as well? Also, I've heard glossy screens are better for watching movies?

Can you guys recommend any not-necessarily-IPS glossy monitors for watching movies?

Thoughts on these:
    $185, 24'': http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049
    $189, 23'': http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

Thanks!

13. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Glossy is purely subject. Your call.
    Not absolutely, but IPS is highly recommended.
    Cut corners somewhere else.

14. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Actually, only the Samsung PX2370 reproduces 100% sRGB colors out of the listed - the Dell, with the IPS, only pulls in around 82%. And, the response time is 2ms on the Samsung compared to 8ms on the Dell.