Looking for A MS Word plug in to draw diagrams for a maths teacher

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JackHobbs, Jun 8, 2010.

1. JackHobbs macrumors regular

JackHobbs

I am a maths teacher and recent mac convert :))). I need to draw diagrams for maths worksheets. Basic diagrams are O.K. in MS Word, Mac and Windows, but sometimes I need to draw more complicated ones such as cubes or graphs or equilateral triangles. Previously I used a Word Plug in, FXDraw, but that is Windows only. Does anyone know of a plug in for Mac Word that I could use? I do not need an amazingly complicated package like Maple or Mathematica as I am drawing maths diagrams for school kids! (I'm also the one paying for it!)

Thanks a lot.

2. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I'm not 100% sure I understood your use, and why you want a Word plugin. However, if what you need is a drawing diagrams such as work flows and similar, I'd take a look to Omni Graffle. It's not a plugin, it is a standalone application. It cost less than 100 bucks and I recall it having an academic discount. There is also a sort of light version, Omni Graph Scketcher.
    Or, if what you want is a drawing application, you could take a look to the free NeoOffice for mac, that together with a worksheet, text editor and others, has a simple but yet complete application.

3. OlegShv macrumors newbie

I am not aware of any plug-ins for MS Word.

For plotting equations you may try using Grapher. It should be in Applications/Utilities.

4. JackHobbs thread starter macrumors regular

JackHobbs

As a teacher I make up worksheets for my classes. I usually use MS Word. Mostly I can draw the easier diagrams using the built in tools. Occasionally however I need to draw a graph or an equilateral triangle. Sometimes I want to draw a solid such as a cube or cuboid and keep the lengths correct so students can measure them. This requires an isometric grid rather than the more usual square based grid. The MS Word drawing tools can't cope. Previously in my Windows incarnation I would click a button on the tool bar and bring up FXDraw. This would have more complicated drawing tools, including drawing specified graphs. I could draw what I want then save it. I would then be back in MS Word. The objects I had draw would then be in my diagram.

I hope that makes more sense.

5. YB24 macrumors member

Dordogne-France http://y.barois.free.fr/grapher/
    Grapher Geogebra Scilab

6. YB24 macrumors member

Dordogne-France http://y.barois.free.fr/grapher/
    Grapher, SketchUp

About isometric perspective.
    Grapher 3D use a three point perspective that can't be modified ; there is no grid for measurement on 3D graphs ; not convenient for you.
    Did you try Google SketchUp 7.1 ? Several kinds of perspective, one is isometric ; measures are possible but not with a grid ; very easy to built solid objects.
    YB24

7. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

MS dropped VB support in Office 2008 which pretty much means plug ins are not an option. There may be something for Office 2004 which still supported VB but there are better options then Office 2004. Your best option is to either use a standalone app as some have suggested or get something like Parallels or VMware and run the Windows version of Office in virtualization.

8. JackHobbs thread starter macrumors regular

JackHobbs

Much as I am open to even more suggestions, I would like to thank everyone who has answered my question. I'm a bit of a newb so will need to go off and investigate some of the things that have been suggested. This may take a while as it is a busy time of year at work. Please don't think that because I am not responding that I am not appreciative, I am!!!!

Thanks for suggestion about VM fusion, that may be the route to go as I already run it.

This is the first time I have ever started a thread and I am really warmed by the help people have given me. A very happy newb. :D

9. deniselt macrumors newbie

same problems as Jack

Hi
    I am having the same problems as Jack in trying to find an equivalent for FXDRAW in Mac . I do not want to have to learn a new system if I can avoid it. D notice there is an version efofex draw for mac which seems the same does anyone know it and and where can I get a legal version. I am also a Maths teacher and need it to set up simple diagrams as applicable to a Maths class room environment