Looking for a new mac..

coolocity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Central New York
Well, I'm making the switch to the mac, and I'm doing it for one main reason - video editing. So far I think that the iMac seems to be the best price:function ratio out of them all, but I'm wondering what you guys think. I know a lot of things will improve after the expo, but I'm trying to get a feel of what's out there. What are the main things I would look for in a machine that would be ideal for video editing (via firewire)? Also, does anyone know of video editing software better than iMovie or Final Cut pro?

Thanks,

- John

coolocity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Central New York
Well, no, I don't have a monitor yet. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just enough to edit some tapes, add a few effects, and dump em back to the camera. Not making movies yet, we'll see how the public access show goes first!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Get a Tower Mac with a L3 cache, it'll help with what you're thinking of doing.

Even if you don't have a monitor, you should be able to find a passable new/used VGA monitor for a decent (ie cheap) price.

Just make sure you get a manual or can download one so you know what resolutions and scan rates should be used with the monitor.

---

The tower also has internal upgrade options the iMac/eMac lack, including the possibility of CPU upgrades down the road.

---

Look hard and long at Macs with L3 caches when there is possibility of a lot of video/graphics editing in your future.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
You can get 19" monitors for about $100 now. So combine that with a tidy tower and you have your video machine.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
I would say that Final Cut Pro is the best video software out but I always hear about the Avid System. I've tried Avid before..... like in the 90's... and it seemed more complicated than FCP.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I forgot to mention the tower has better expandability when it comes to multi-monitor support.

With some of these graphics/video editing packages, multiple monitors make life MUCH easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.