Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HungarianStan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2015
Hungary
Like the title says, I've got ideas that need me to be able to edit PDFs (not merely annotate or sign them, but actually change text or move it around within the PDF itself, not as a "layer" on top of the text), and for that, need an editor. I've used Adobe before for Windows but it's a VERY old copy and I don't have a windows machine anymore anyway.

With that in mind, are there any apps that you all have used for PDF editing on the Mac? Price is an issue, naturally, since I don't want to buy Adobe's offering; but I figure anything less than that will do.

Folks?

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I don’t know first-hand, but PDF Editor appears to viable.

Maybe also skim through the options listed here? I haven’t tried them, but PDF Studio, Master PDF Editor, and PDF Pen all claim to do what you want.

It’s probably worth searching the App Store for PDF Editors too.

Depending on exactly what you want to do, you could go for something like iDraw, which is a vector drawing program that can import PDFs.

HungarianStan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2015
Hungary
I don’t know first-hand, but PDF Editor appears to viable.

Maybe also skim through the options listed here? I haven’t tried them, but PDF Studio, Master PDF Editor, and PDF Pen all claim to do what you want.

It’s probably worth searching the App Store for PDF Editors too.

Depending on exactly what you want to do, you could go for something like iDraw, which is a vector drawing program that can import PDFs.

Thanks much for the lists! I'll have a look through.

culb0743

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
Like the title says, I've got ideas that need me to be able to edit PDFs (not merely annotate or sign them, but actually change text or move it around within the PDF itself, not as a "layer" on top of the text), and for that, need an editor. I've used Adobe before for Windows but it's a VERY old copy and I don't have a windows machine anymore anyway.

With that in mind, are there any apps that you all have used for PDF editing on the Mac? Price is an issue, naturally, since I don't want to buy Adobe's offering; but I figure anything less than that will do.

Folks?
PDFPen 7, by Smile Software (makers of the popular TextExpander apps) is what you're looking for; an established product (since 2004, I believe) with excellent support . Ticks all of your boxes nicely. PDFPen Pro if you want to create fillable forms. iOS companion apps are also available and IMO top notch. Besides being a customer, I'm in no way affiliated with Smile; just a heavy user of their products.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisandersen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.