Looking for a way to play PAID podcasts on a Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by ZebraDude, May 30, 2017.

1. ZebraDude, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017

ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

I tried Overcast as it has great Watch App and NO it does not support PAID Podcasts (and I even tried the URL link with the embedded UN and Pass, no go!)

I tried Downcast and it was able to access and download the PAID apps but has a remote control only app on the watch for the phone.

I tried Pocket Cast and it does not support PAID Podcasts (tried the embedded trick and no luck).

any help would be very well appreciated!!!

:)

Ps. I am looking to be able to play the PAID Podcast on the Watch WITHOUT the iPhone....

2. ZebraDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

well I found that "Watch Player" works IF you embed your user ID and password into the Https string.

https://"user id":"password"@"paid podcast URL"

3. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

If you tweet ‪‪@marcoarment‬ / @OvercastFM on Twitter Marco will probably look into it - he's pretty responsive to new ideas / feature requests.

4. huperniketes macrumors regular

huperniketes

That's a very bad way to access paid podcasts. I'm surprised they don't provide something which doesn't blatantly compromise security.

5. ZebraDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

they give you a branded app for each podcast that allows streaming or downloading to the app only.

I want to be able to keep and save the mp3's to replay in the future even if I stop subscribing. No one allows this. sadly...

6. huperniketes macrumors regular

huperniketes

It should be doable given the correct authorization protocol, which could be determined by snooping the packets. Which is how the access credentials embedded in the URLs as you listed before (called HTTP Basic Authorization) can be swiped.