Looking for advice about whether or not to repair a1278 macbook after water spill

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TJs98GT, Jun 1, 2010.

1. TJs98GT macrumors newbie

First off, hello everyone. I'm new on this forum and just got my girlfriends old macbook from her after she replaced it for a macbook pro due to water damage.

What happened with this macbook(silver unibody a1278 model with 2.4 logic board) is about 1.5 months ago her infant neice kicked over a glass of water on the macbook and it stopped working. she let it dry out for a few days and then brought it in to the genius bar where under warranty they replaced the hard drive and track pad and everything was fine and it was working properly. About a month later it stopped charging and wouldnt turn on. Immediate inspection at the genius bar determined the magsafe had corrosion on it and would need replacement due to water damage but to be safe they wanted to disassemble it further and see if the logic board also had some corrosion on it. They told us that the logic board did indeed need replacement that the cost would be similar to just buying a new macbook so she did. Now she gave me the old one and said if i can fix it that i could have it.

Im currently a PC user and have been saving to purchase my first mac, a macbook, by the end of the year but if i can fix this one for half the cost then id like to do that. Im confident in my small electronics repair ability and know that replacing the logic board and magsafe is definitely something i can do. Based on the facts of what you have heard, do you believe that this logic board MUST be replaced or is there an alternative, like cleaning the corrosion off or something along those lines. It seems like the average price online for a 2.4ghz logic board is like $700 yet used macbooks with the same specs go for ~$500 more or less? Id like to repair this and keep it under $500.

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

3. TJs98GT thread starter macrumors newbie

so i think after reading quite a few corrosion posts on here im gunna try to clean it first and see how that works out. ill take some pictures during the process

4. TJs98GT thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the real crummy iphone pics, i forgot my d90 at home and just took the macbook apart now here at work and have nothing better to take pics with but.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can kinda see on the mag safe adapter and around that gold circle that looks almost like a mini battery sticking up off the logic board(just the left of it in the pic) that there is some light corrosion there. i have some light brushes and electrical parts cleaner being delivered to my work and im going to try to clean it off with that and q-tips. we'll see what happens. im crossing my fingers.

5. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

Good luck. I hope it works, it´s a great little machine...

6. TJs98GT thread starter macrumors newbie

well unfortunately it didnt work. still only a dimly lit green light and no power up. so i guess ill start with ordering a mag safe adapter or look for a used broken one for parts. the problem im having though is i feel like its going to be hard to find one like this since they didnt make this model for that long.

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Does it turn on with a charged battery? If you know anyone with one, try that before you buy the magsafe adapter. If it's still fried, you saved yourelf the $$ of buying a magsafe adapter for a dead machine.