looking for an app that lists all my apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kiddk1, Sep 13, 2012.

1. kiddk1 macrumors regular

When I was on android, I used app dragon, it made a list of all the apps on my phone and emailed it to me, is there a similiar program so that when I switch phones I know which apps were on my 4s? thanks

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

No idea.

You could back up your iphone either into the cloud or with iTunes.

And when your new phone arrives, restore from that backup.

This will save everything, even messages etc.

3. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

when I backup in itunes, the restore from backup does not restore apps

4. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Not sure that there is an iOS API to allow Apps to get this kind of information, kind of a breach in privacy.

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

When u log into app store on new phone, how about just hitting the purchased tab?

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yes, it does.

7. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Ive have restored from a backup half a dozen times, it does not restore apps, at least not from my pc. I posted a thread about this and the answer given was that. Restore from backup only restores contacts and pictures

8. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Yes, it does.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Are you sure you're using the correct back up? Also, using an app to tell you what Apps you have seems needless convoluted, I just use my eyes, look at iTunes, or look in the apps folder. Looking is crazy, I know, but try it out sometime.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

when you back up to icloud it 100% backs up apps and everything on the phone. You could get a new phone and it would look identical in every way to the old one.

11. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Both my children have ipods, so looking at itunes is cluttered with their apps also, i will try the icloud method

12. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

But don't your eyes see, for instance, every single fart app you've ever downloaded, and not just the very special one that you've chosen to keep on your phone?

Regards,
    Tom

13. Krandor macrumors 6502

Make sure you hav e it all selected in your icloud backup and it wil. The backup file itself does not contain the apps themselves but the information on which ones are loaded. Once the backup is loaded the phone will start re-downloading all the apps.

14. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

"AppInfo"; must be jailbroken of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib3A4aHHkI4

15. outphase macrumors 65816

Restoring from backups either via iTunes or iCloud does restore your apps.

16. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Not from a pc, only from a mac

17. outphase macrumors 65816

Yes it does. PEBKAC.

18. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

You can go to the App Store on your phone -> Updates -> Purchased -> Not on this phone.

19. Radiating macrumors 65816

You have to select "back up my apps" or something like that in the options when you're syncing your iphone. It's not selected by default. I've loaded all the apps from my iPhone 4 onto my iPhone 4S before though my windows PC.

20. supervelous macrumors 6502

BUT, does the app that shows all your apps show the app that shows you all the apps??

21. nw9 macrumors regular

When you connect your iPhone to iTunes make sure in the Apps tab in the middle has the "automatically sync new apps" checked. That might be your problem if it's not checked. Since you sync other Apple devices, just uncheck the apps that you don't want on your iPhone so you won't also install your children's apps. When I did a restore and backup months ago iTunes restored all my apps and placed them exactly where I had them.

My guess is that you accidentally turned something off which is causing your problem. If you can't figure out what it was then an alternative to making a list of your apps is to take pictures of your iPhone screen. You can do this by pressing the top power button and the home button at the same time to take a picture of your screen. Take a picture of all your app pages and opened folders and you will have a photo copy of all your apps. I think this is better than making a list because you will know exactly where you placed all your apps. Just make sure to transfer the pictures onto your computer also in case your iTunes for some reason doesn't backup your images.

22. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular