Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
the old DVD PLAYER app, that I was using up to now, apparently no longer works in MOJAVE, and Apple doesn't seem to have made an update.

can anyone recommend a simple app that does the same thing, plays a VIDEO_TS folder? (I know that playing a bluRay on the hard drive is a different kettle of fish.)

thanks for any suggestions and happy new year!

w

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
There is still a simple DVD player app, called "DVD Player", search it with Spotlight.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
thank you - Geez - don't know how I missed that, but thanks again!
It. Is. Rubbish.
They have stripped it RIGHT down. But if all you want to do is play a movie in one hit from start to finish, you’re sorted.

Panthera Tigris Altaica

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
In the Frozen North, of course.
the old DVD PLAYER app, that I was using up to now, apparently no longer works in MOJAVE, and Apple doesn't seem to have made an update.

can anyone recommend a simple app that does the same thing, plays a VIDEO_TS folder? (I know that playing a bluRay on the hard drive is a different kettle of fish.)

thanks for any suggestions and happy new year!

w
DVD Player.app has been moved from Applications to System/Library/Core Services/Applications.

It appears to be 64-bit now.

It still isn't very good.

May I suggest VLC? https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
DVD Player.app has been moved from Applications to System/Library/Core Services/Applications.

It appears to be 64-bit now.

It still isn't very good.

May I suggest VLC? https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Hey! thank you. I have been using VLC for years and years to play individual video files, but did not realize until now that it can also play an entire DVD.

question: right now I can play a DVD on VLC, but I can't get the menus to work - I know there must be some sort of add on or extension that would enable VLC to use the menu functions of a DVD.

as always, grateful for any feedback / input,

w

Panthera Tigris Altaica

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
Hey! thank you. I have been using VLC for years and years to play individual video files, but did not realize until now that it can also play an entire DVD.

question: right now I can play a DVD on VLC, but I can't get the menus to work - I know there must be some sort of add on or extension that would enable VLC to use the menu functions of a DVD.

as always, grateful for any feedback / input,

w
Clicking on the items usually works. Attached should be a screenshot of the menu functions of a DVD I had handy (Tarentino's "Hateful Eight") 'Play' is currently selected (in this case, the red underline. This may, and probably will, vary.) Hit 'enter' and whatever's selected will launch. Click. on another item to select it. Double-clicking usually launches it immediately. Depending on how the people who made the DVD set it up, you may have to hunt around a little.

Note that VLC will not (at present) play BluRay. There is software available which will play BluRay on Mac, if you get an external BluRay player (I have a Pioneer BDR-XD05S), but it's pretty half-assed.
Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 09.02.55 .png

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
thank you!

yes, if you open up a DVD file, it will bring you to the menu, correct.

But then, say you're in the middle of playing something - and then you want to go back to the menu. At this point, there doesn't seem to be any way to do that. or am I missing something?

thanks again,

w

Panthera Tigris Altaica

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
thank you!

yes, if you open up a DVD file, it will bring you to the menu, correct.

But then, say you're in the middle of playing something - and then you want to go back to the menu. At this point, there doesn't seem to be any way to do that. or am I missing something?

thanks again,

w
Go to the 'Playback' menu. Options should include selecting chapters and titles. If you select the main title (name may vary) that takes you back to the opening screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.