Looking for first-hand views on the Senkaku or Diaoyu Islands Dispute

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 11, 2016.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I am in the midst of writing an essay on the 'Senkaku or Diaoyu Islands Dispute,' and I would like to ask questions to whoever here who is from China or Japan and can give me their experiences and points of view on the dispute going on over these islands, between the Japanese and Chinese governments.

I am researching the Senkaku or Diaoyu Islands dispute, but I would also like to receive first-hand accounts, since those can be more valuable than 3rd-person research. I want to know what a Chinese or Japanese citizen feels about the dispute and about the islands.

I would also like whichever name you prefer to go by, since I must cite my sources (interviewees) in my bibliography.

Thank you!
    -MDD

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I'd suggest finding news articles and reports. They tend to include one or both sides of the problem and include personal stories and themes. NPR might be a good place to look. Such sources credibility factor tends to be substantially higher than Internet forums. I'd check with your teacher if internet forums is a permissible source. All professors and basically all teachers I know would not accept them.

After all, I could claim to be directly involved/affected by this problem and you would have no way of knowing if I was legitimate, or perhaps even serious.

Best of Luck

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

How are random people off MR considered reputable sources for an essay?

As the other poster above said, use news articles and reports. Talk to your high school librarian (it's their job to help you research) about your school's subscriptions to online databases. Those are usually helpful to find random information like this.

EDIT: if you're really adamant on using bogus sources for your essay, try posting on Reddit. The amount of information you can find on there is amazing.

4. PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Not necessarily sources, but accounts, rather. I'd like to know what a Japanese or Chinese citizens thinks/feels about the situation. The history behind it will be researched properly. I'd just like opinions from citizens.

-Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Oct 12, 2016 ---
    *college librarian

Look at what I said when I replied to Goldberg. I also don't want to see you criticizing me over here. Also, interviewing people for their accounts is not unheard of or uncommon...
    --- Post Merged, Oct 12, 2016 ---
    Because, perhaps someone here is a Chinese or Japanese citizen and can give their honest opinions about this dispute. You think I'm trying to look for history or something? I can research that myself. I'm looking for real people's opinions.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

A quality news article/expose will often cite locals and people affected by the situarion. I.e. Let's say theirs a flood that wipes out a village, they will interview a farmer to say how the flood has devastated their crops. That way you know that the identity of the person has been verified and it's not hearsay.

Even if an article is biased, you can often find the opposing argument in another article. And a good, objective source will present both sides of the argument.

If you do find people on a Mac Forum to interview, a well done essay will have substantiate their comments with more legitimate sources.

How much of this paper is supposed to be fact and how much opinion? Are you supposed to merely explain the situation or also present your opinion? If you're stating your opinion you need to back it up with facts, not just other people's opinions.

Going back to my flood example. If a forum member says "it's awful there is no food, everything is under water" you'd have to find a source that states something like 90% of crops have been destroyed. Otherwise while maybe that guy and his neighbors farm were destroyed, maybe only 5% of local farms were destroyed.

If you do find people willing to speak about their opinions, your teacher will probably question how you got in touch with these people, so you'll have to explain how that occurred and how/why they are qualified to speak.

I'd suggest talking to a librarian as @AutoUnion39 suggested. They're great resources if you utilize them. College librarians are well trained using research tools, not just organizing books. Their real job is to make information accessible and often know a lot more than you'd think.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Have you considered looking at your school for international students from the areas you are interested in? Or in general asking around Chinese/Japanese cultural groups for people who might be able to put you in touch with people you wish to interview?

Also, I feel like consulting a librarian is an excellent idea.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I'll add one more thing...

If you haven't already, you might want to run this idea by your professor to see what his/her opinion is on this. That way you're on the same page with expectations. It's always a good thing to communicate with your instructor and build a relationship with them. It probably won't hurt when it comes to grading time either.

8. PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016

PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

It's not so much about reporting the history of the dispute as it's about finding the rationale behind it. We are told to talk about what has been triggering the dispute and what these islands might mean to China, Japan, and/or the citizens of either country.

Is there an emotional connection to these islands?
    Is this for political or economic reasons?
    How are citizens triggered by this dispute? Has this been directly affecting citizens, solely the countries, or both?

^^
    These are things I'd like to answer. I have done plenty of research papers in the past (although this technically is NOT one, according to my professor), so I have no problem doing general research on its history and current state; but I wanted some food for thought from actual citizens of either China or Japan. This is merely a basis for ideas - it's the tip of the iceberg when it comes to 'research.'

Thanks for the supportive replies.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2016 ---
    Yeah, I'm going to try and ask some international students here. However, I'd also like to receive opinions from much older adults (that's my reason for reaching out online), since they're usually more into politics than younger people are, and they have been on this earth longer/have experienced more events.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well, those students will likely have parents, family friends, etc.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I think the main factors as far as I would be
    - Natural Resources- gas + oil, fishing
    - Shipping Routes
    - Military Strategics
    - Trade/commerce, due to resentment between the two countries (boycotts)

As I'm sure you know the islands are uninhabited, so it's more about the trickle down effects.

You might want to seek out the various organizations developed to support either side of the argument and get their direct statements. That would be interesting.