Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k.na

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
New York
I'm know this has been asked before and I apologize for making a new thread, but I wanted to make sure I'd be getting the newest recommendations, as I know these technologies are being updated/upgraded all the time. Also, the few threads that I've read have had mixed product reviews (some raving about a particular drive only in later comments to say that that drive is causing issues in Mac devices). I'd really like to avoid that headache, obviously.

I have a 15" Unibody MacBook Pro with the factory-installed 250GB hard drive, which is almost full. In my new drive, I'd like as much space as possible, which from what I've read would be between 750GB-1TB. I don't have any hard requirements other than this: I want the most dependable, highest-capacity drive that is known to have good results (long-term) with in MacBook Pros.

I was looking at this Seagate SSD+HDD combo drive but wasn't sure how I would go about copying over my backup to this new partitioned system:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00691WMJG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Another concern of mine is that some of my programs (Adobe CS3, CS5, and some others) were not exactly bought and installed from the manufacturer's disks. Would this pose a problem with cloning/copying my old drive's contents on to my new drive?

Thank you, I appreciate any help!

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland

k.na

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
New York
You'll need some way to connect your new HDD to your mac, there are USB-Sata -adapters for that.
Also You'll need a cloning software. SuperDuper is free and works brilliantly.

RGDS,
Pekka

Thanks, Pekka. I think my question is moot anyway because reading more about the Seagate Momentus, it's not actually a true SSD, but rather LIKE a SSD. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, still looking to hear recommendations. Also, can anyone tell me what's the best route to take when cloning/copying my hard drive contents? I've heard various ways (Time Machine backup, Disk Utility, Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, etc.). My original thought was that Time Machine would be the best way because it's an Apple-designed product and doesn't use 3rd party software, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.