Looking for Monitor/TV with DVI, HDMI, and S-Video Input

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nuggetWRX, Jul 7, 2009.

1. nuggetWRX macrumors newbie

I am currently using a 22" ViewSonic NX2232w and its native resolution is 1680x1050 while my graphics card in my MBP (2.4GHz, not the newest model) is only capable of a max of 1600x(...?the guy at AppleCare didn't tell me, but i dont think the second number matters as much). I am currently using a DVI>VGA adapter that came with one of my Mac's and a (m)VGA>(m)VGA cable which is connecting my MBP and ViewSonic.

I am one of those people who researches things to death before I buy them, but without any knowledge of monitors/resolutions, this ViewSonic caught me off guard with a somewhat stretched picture. I need a monitor/tv (easier to live in a dorm/apt with less displays) that has a DVI (for my MBP), HDMI (for my ps3), and S-Video (for TV) input and that has a max resolution of 1600x(?). I would really appreciate any thoughts or recommendations. I would run my 20" Apple Cinema Display but it isn't HDCP compatible so I can't run my PS3 through it using a HDMI>DVI converter :-\... Thanks!

EDIT: Okay thinking about it, I may not necessarily need it as a TV since I like to be on my MBP and watch TV at the same time. My roommate has a tv I can use anyway. So if you can't think of any that have a TV tuner in them, just go ahead and throw out that requirement and see if anything comes to mind without that additional filter.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Dell but it cannot do the TV part. May as well by a TV.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Sounds like you should just buy a 1080p LCD TV.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no product that meets all your needs.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Some TVs do. My old Sceptre did.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's what I meant. There are TVs with HDMI, DVI and S-video but I've never seen one with those inputs and native resolution of 1600x?

Correct me if there is one

7. nuggetWRX thread starter macrumors newbie

jessica. - what dell monitor are you talking about? i am on the site now and like 90% are 1680x1050

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Actually I found one for you. It only lacks HDMI but you can get a DVI splitter. Remember that your PS3 isn't compatible with 1600x1200 resolution so it won't be full screen

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

10. nuggetWRX thread starter macrumors newbie

i got that info about the 1600x? from one of the tech's at AppleCare today. my graphics card is the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (256mb). i wouldn't lie to you guys, yeah its a tricky situation with the 1600x? resolution. I wonder if there's a resolution I can use that will shrink the screen of my computer a little to fit it, so it doesn't stretch it... time to troubleshoot.

11. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I think I'm right in saying that all 2.4Ghz MacBook Pros are listed as supporting up to 2560x1600 resolutions. So I recommend going 1080p.

Also, get a DVI-HDMI lead instead of VGA.

Sounds like any 1080p LCD TV or monitor with 2 HDMIs and audio input will do fine.

12. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

You're thinking it's 1600x(less than 1600). It's apparently a nicely huge 2560x1600. I am assuming that is right - my GMA950 MacBook can do 1080p dude, you should be fine.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

8600M GT does support 2560x1600 so it'll support other resolutions as well.

Attached Files:

14. nuggetWRX thread starter macrumors newbie

i WAS using a DVI>HDMI cable into the same tv (but its HDMI port, instead of DVI>VGA as i'm using now) and the colors were, well, horrible for HDMI. it was very blurry and the colors bled into each other... i found that DVI>VGA looked much clearer, as a monitor should.

what would the resolution be of going "1080p"? the tv i have now (the ViewSonic i have mentioned before) is a 720p HDTV, is there a resolution I should aim for in these circumstances?

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1080p is 1920x1080 also known as Full HD. Your MBP does support higher resolutions, up to 2560x1600. Horrible HDMI picture could be because of wrong settings

16. nuggetWRX thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried calibrating colors under System Pref's without any improvement. any other suggestions?

17. nuggetWRX thread starter macrumors newbie

i just got off the phone with ViewSonic, since they don't issue drivers for TV's (or Mac's honestly from what i've seen) then i am SOL unless NVIDIA makes a driver for my graphics card for Mac, which they don't, just my luck. so no drivers made by anyone for my application... looks like i am SOL.

18. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I'll second my recommendation of the Samsung P2370HD if you can't make the ViewSonic work for you. Check out the video review on youtube.

19. shazammy macrumors member

Dell 2408WFP

I bought a Dell 2408WFP 24 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor recently during during one of their big sales. Absolutely love it:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6272

20. holidaypf macrumors member