Looking for new monitor 5,1 MP, ASUS GeForce GTX 780 GPU

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zayaso, Dec 12, 2016.

1. zayaso macrumors member

Hi all,

First- I don't know if this is the right forum to post this, if the mods deem it needs to be moved, please do!

I'm looking to purchase a new monitor for my 5,1 MP, as my old 30 inch Apple Cinema display is starting to get really long in the tooth. Currently running OS X Sierra, and have an ASUS GeForce GTX 780 card inside (max resolution 4K, 1 HDMI, 1 Display Port, and 2 x DVI).
    I was taking a look at the apple store with the brand new LG 4K displays, but with the fact they need a USB-C connection and my old MP 5,1 not being capable of USB-C/Thunderbolt, was thinking it would not be a good fit. Am I right in my thinking there? What 4K displays are others using?

TL; DR:
    Can I use new LG 4K displays on apple store with my old MP 5,1; if not, what 4K displays are others using?

Thanks!

2. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

I have been delighted with my Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K monitor which cost just £505 ($640). It's now been superseded by a 43" model but I just checked & here in the UK there are several retailers selling refurbished BDM4065UC with 1 years warranty for about £315 ($400). I thought the price I paid was a bargain but £315 is a steal. I too had been using a 2560x1600 30" monitor for many years (an HP LP3065) & found the 40" 4K monitor a great upgrade as the pixel density is not vastly different to the 30" so you don't end up with tiny fonts that are impossible to read.