Looking for new monitor(s)/display for 2013 nMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Keebler, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

i'm currently running 2 x 24" Dells. They've been good to me, but one has some graying on the far right side. It's annoying. I'm beyond warranty and have tried a variety of googled fix-it-attempts to no avail.

So I've been looking at monitors - 4K and UDTV types.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the LG 34 curved display? Specifically the http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor

In almost every review, I hear the word 'immersive' from the screen being that much closer and wrapped towards your eyes.

I've read that Dell also used the same LG screen, but has a 3 year warranty. However, apparently the software isn't so mac compatible. I guess the software allows for quick switching between screens or layouts? Still reading up on it.

I've heard good things for colour renditions as well from the LGs.
    Other reviews said to go with a Samsung b/c they don't have the light bleeding LG's supposedly have?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-34-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor-S34E790C/dp/B00Q7VCSGU

My main (heavy) use is video editing, photo scanning with a secondary use of photography.

So colour accuracy is critical.

Really ramping this research up with Amazon's "Prime Day" on the 15th.

I've thought about 2 x 24"s or 27"s, but if I can get a curved display and eliminate the bezeling in the middle of the screen, that would be the better option.

Especially when I'm editing - I should be able to have a huge amount of timeline available for skimming through quicker from L to R. That actually gets me excited! lol

TIA,

2. zesta macrumors member

If you are OK with the minor limitations, the Dell UP2715K is amazing. Basically the same panel as the 5k iMac. It also has a glass cover, so it is great for sharpness and color accuracy.

3. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

Giant monitor with not great resolution. Not quite 5K or 4K. Basically two 1920x1440 monitors stitched together, which are odd aspect ratios.

I'm pretty happy with my dual Dell P2715Q 4K monitors. They are factory calibrated for color accuracy, look great on my cMP @ 3200x1800 each.

4. sans35 macrumors newbie

hi. I pre-ordered the LG34UM95-P last year for $900US, and i have been using it ever since. I also have an old samsung 1080p monitor on the side for mail and iTunes. If you do video editing the extra real estate for the timeline is a no brainer! The color on the LG is so much better and it came with a color calibration sheet!

The Thunderbolt 2 connection on the LG is great. no need for USB3 uplink. All the USB3.0 and 2.0 work from the Thunderbolt 2, Im also capable to daisy chain another hard drive form the monitor!

cheers,

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks!

I'm going to have a hard look tomorrow when Amazon has their Prime sale to see if I can snag one!

Thanks!

6. ActionableMango, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I have the Dell U3415W. There are many similarities with the LG and in fact it uses the LG panel. Both have Windows-based screen layout switching software, both are factory color calibrated and provide the calibration report, both have built-in USB 3.0 hubs, and both have backlight bleed in the corners when viewing dark content.

There are also many differences with the LG. The LG has Mac-compatible screen layout switching software, Thunderbolt connectors, and can act as a Thunderbolt KVM switch. The LG stand only adjusts for tilt. Unfortunately it also does not have VESA-compatible mounting holes, so you need a separate custom adapter from LG that isn't included. LG dead pixel policy is not very good; essentially, if it left the factory, it has an acceptable number of pixel faults. Their stuck pixel policy is unpublished, which I assume is a bad sign.

The Dell has a much better stand with tilt, swivel, and height adjustments, a VESA compatible mount holes for industry standard mounts, and it can act as a USB 3.0 KVM switch. If you purchase the monitor directly from Dell, it includes their "pixel-perfect policy", which entitles you to a repair/replacement if even a single stuck pixel appears anywhere on the screen during the entire three year warranty.

I think I'd be happy with either monitor, but I got the Dell for its much longer warranty, much better pixel policy, much better stand, and lower price.

However, I have a cMP. If I had the nMP as you do, I'd be tempted to get the LG for its Thunderbolt connectivity. I'd have to also get the VESA adapter and a better stand though, because I am fairly picky about having the monitor at the correct height.

I do like the 34" 21:9 curved format for a monitor, and it is more immersive. But there are also many quirks about that aspect ratio. The main quirk is that nearly all video content in the same or similar ratio ends up both letterboxed and pillarboxed (black borders all around), unless/until you find ways to work around it.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope this info helps.

7. MMcCraryNJ macrumors 6502

I have the 34UM95-P.

It has VESA holes, which you can clearly see in the manual and in pictures of the rear. Maybe the curved version does not (the 34UC97-P), but mine certainly does. LG sells a separate "wall mount adapter" for installing it onto the wall, if that's what you are thinking of, but any compatible VESA arm will work without it.

To the OP: the 34UM95 is the non-curved version.

I have it, and love it. Bought it this past January. I use an official Apple Thunderbolt cable, and it works perfectly. USB hub operates over the Thunderbolt connection, so you gain one additional USB 3 port and two USB 2 ports. Great for mice and keyboards and such. I'm also running a Thunderbolt audio interface over the monitor's additional TB port with no issues. I have all of my peripherals, sans the communication port to my UPS, connected to the monitor, and the back of my Mac Pro is clean.

Color was excellent out of the box. If I were working in graphics, I'd likely calibrate it further, to my specific ambient lighting and such, but it looks excellent to me. I do have typical IPS glow that's on every IPS panel ever, but no backlight bleed with mine.

I also have no issues with seeing the boot screen. Some members had issues earlier last year with the display not showing the boot screen or boot options (such as when you hold the Option key to get into Bootcamp, etc), but I think that's been largely cleared up.

What's even better is that, if you're a savvy shopper, you can get this monitor new for $700-$750, just have to wait for a NewEgg or Amazon sale. I paid $850 back in January, and I still feel it was worth it. Once you go Ultrawide, you'll never go back.

No way would I spend the same amount of money, or more, on the Apple Thunderbolt display.

8. MMcCraryNJ macrumors 6502

Also, according to LG's website for the 34UC97-P, you can call them and request a free of charge VESA bracket, should you want to mount it to an arm.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, I meant the curved version 97. I know OP linked to the 95, but he/she specifically said "curved version" twice, including the intro to the link, so I assume the link itself was an error.

Hopefully if he really does want the curved version, he doesn't accidentally get the 95.

10. ShawnF macrumors regular

If you need Thunderbolt 2 and can live without 4K, this is (I think) the only non-Apple IPS monitor that comes with 99% Adobe RGB gamut support. I have one and so far it has been pretty good:

LG 27MB85Z
    [​IMG]

11. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks - I did screw that up by posting the link to the wrong one :)

I'll definitely get a curved screen. Just deciding what to do business wise. Lots of decisions to make.

Thank you for everyone's feedback - it's much appreciated :)

Cheers
    Keebler

12. hidea, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

hidea macrumors regular

I was reading a review of an LG curved 21:9 monitor (I can't remember the model number, but there aren't that many of them!). The curvature apparently throws a lot of people off when viewing photographs. Something you might want to consider.

I'm in the same boat as you, and it's looking like i'll be getting the flat model instead.

Here's the said review: http://petapixel.com/2014/11/05/review-34-inch-3440x1440-monitor-great-happens-curve/

13. goMac macrumors 603

14. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Why would anyone release a T-Bolt2 device in 2016?

This question is both snarky and serious.

If T-Bolt2 and T-Bolt3 are compatible - then it would seem to be crazy to announce a new T-Bolt2 device.

If they blew the backwards compatibility with T-Bolt3, then using the old protocol could make sense.

15. Average Pro macrumors regular

The article references two connections: USB-C and "appears to be Thunderbolt featured." They would sell a lot more units if it functioned with TB2 (as well). Because that would automatically imply TB3 compatibility. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

16. Average Pro macrumors regular

17. haralds macrumors 6502

haralds

Would there be a way to drive the LG Electronics UM95 34UM95C with a Radeon 7970 using something like Dual Link DVI?