looking to buy a 27" (non-retina) iMac should I wait or buy now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by metalgear1, Nov 6, 2014.

1. metalgear1 macrumors newbie

I've had a mid-2011 21" iMac for a few years now which has been great but I need a bigger screen mainly because I do some web design and could do with the extra space.

I've been looking at the 27" non-retina models because the retina model is out of my price range. I've noticed that although the retina model is new the others haven't been refreshed for a while. Does anyone know if a refresh is due anytime soon? Not sure if I should buy or wait. Thanks in advance.

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

There may be some sales or incentives during Black Friday/Cyber Monday events.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Not sure about potential refreshes, I assume they will probably all get broadwell next year, but the year after I fear they will discontinue the non retinas.

Also, I would suggest looking at the Apple refurb store if you want to save a few buck though. Or wait till the black friday deals come along

4. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

Yea I would also check out the apple refurb store. I've bought from there before and its like getting a brand new machine, minus the new box. I've got a 2013 27" iMac and its awesome. The best computer I've ever had. I previously had an older 2007 20" iMac.

5. Serban Suspended

The non-retina will no longer get updates
    Next year will be 4k 21.5" imac

6. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Get a refurbished 2012 for fairly cheap. (Or get a used 2012/2013 with AppleCare.)

Or just get an external monitor and use it with yours. If all you need is extra space, you probably should just spend $130 on a decent matching size 21" monitor. Put the savings into a future Retina fund. (Or booze/drugs/whatever.)

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, I imagine we'll see the same thing that's been happening to the non-retina MBP happen to the non-retina iMac.

8. metalgear1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the advice I think I'm going to go ahead and get a late 2013 27" iMac. The mid-2011 21" iMac i've been using is the base model so it's a fairly big jump in terms of performance from what I'm used to and I need the bigger screen.

9. rainydays macrumors 6502a

I somehow doubt that. I can't imagine that they will be releasing a $1799 5K iMac for at least a couple of years, and until then the regular ones will be in need of an update.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The 13-inch MBP is down to only a single model that hasn't been updated since 2012 and the 15" is well....you know, resting in peace in the graveyard of tech.