Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metalgear1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I've had a mid-2011 21" iMac for a few years now which has been great but I need a bigger screen mainly because I do some web design and could do with the extra space.

I've been looking at the 27" non-retina models because the retina model is out of my price range. I've noticed that although the retina model is new the others haven't been refreshed for a while. Does anyone know if a refresh is due anytime soon? Not sure if I should buy or wait. Thanks in advance.

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I've had a mid-2011 21" iMac for a few years now which has been great but I need a bigger screen mainly because I do some web design and could do with the extra space.

I've been looking at the 27" non-retina models because the retina model is out of my price range. I've noticed that although the retina model is new the others haven't been refreshed for a while. Does anyone know if a refresh is due anytime soon? Not sure if I should buy or wait. Thanks in advance.

There may be some sales or incentives during Black Friday/Cyber Monday events.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Not sure about potential refreshes, I assume they will probably all get broadwell next year, but the year after I fear they will discontinue the non retinas.

Also, I would suggest looking at the Apple refurb store if you want to save a few buck though. Or wait till the black friday deals come along

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Yea I would also check out the apple refurb store. I've bought from there before and its like getting a brand new machine, minus the new box. I've got a 2013 27" iMac and its awesome. The best computer I've ever had. I previously had an older 2007 20" iMac.

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC
Get a refurbished 2012 for fairly cheap. (Or get a used 2012/2013 with AppleCare.)

Or just get an external monitor and use it with yours. If all you need is extra space, you probably should just spend $130 on a decent matching size 21" monitor. Put the savings into a future Retina fund. (Or booze/drugs/whatever.)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The non-retina will no longer get updates
Next year will be 4k 21.5" imac

Yea, I imagine we'll see the same thing that's been happening to the non-retina MBP happen to the non-retina iMac.

metalgear1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
thanks for all the advice I think I'm going to go ahead and get a late 2013 27" iMac. The mid-2011 21" iMac i've been using is the base model so it's a fairly big jump in terms of performance from what I'm used to and I need the bigger screen.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
The non-retina will no longer get updates
Next year will be 4k 21.5" imac

I somehow doubt that. I can't imagine that they will be releasing a $1799 5K iMac for at least a couple of years, and until then the regular ones will be in need of an update.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I somehow doubt that. I can't imagine that they will be releasing a $1799 5K iMac for at least a couple of years, and until then the regular ones will be in need of an update.

The 13-inch MBP is down to only a single model that hasn't been updated since 2012 and the 15" is well....you know, resting in peace in the graveyard of tech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.