Looking to buy a MacBook Air, Anything to Look Out For?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gala, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Gala macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a MacBook Air cheapest version. I decided to check out Craigslist and eBay to check used prices. It seems like now may be the time to buy considering students are looking to upgrade with going back to school.

Is there anything I should look out for when buying used? I don't really know the differences in the years of release and don't want to buy an older model at a higher price than I should.

2. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

Keep this in mind.

If you buy used less then a year old and decide you like it, you can sill buy AppleCare. And also AppleCare is transferable so if you find a few year old one with AppleCare.

3. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Check battery cycles in the about mac, look for small dents, check the lighting in the keyboard, look for screen scratches, try to get the original box, check bottom screws to see if it was opened, and check the serial number with apple care.

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

Other than ignoring all the OCD generated threads on MR about MBA 'problems', no, there's nothing special to look out for other than the usual things you'd look for in any laptop.

Does it power up?
    Is it running the latest version of the operating system?
    Do all the features, e.g., bluetooth, wifi, etc., work?

Check Apple's Refurb store to get an idea of what a used MBA in excellent condition costs.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Why buy on Craigslist or eBay? Why not consider buying an Apple refurb - they have some lower spec models at very attractive prices and these come with the same guarantees as a brand new computer.

6. SusanK macrumors 68000

^^
    This